+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Afghan Refugee Outside Canada

AZ.Khan

Mar 9, 2023
Hello,

I would like to connect with Afghan refugees who have been sponsored by some organization in Canada or UNHCR, particularly those who have history of past treated TB and told IOM about it and were asked to have a sputum test. I gave biometrics and had a medical assessment. I was requested to have a sputum test and gave all 3 sputum samples. I know that the sputum result takes about 2 months normally and that is how long my visa will probably get delayed, but I wonder if they expedite the process in the case of Afghan refugee or issue visa and further follow the individual in Canada. If you have/had a similar case as an Afghan refugee, how long has it taken for you to get your visa after your sputum test? Also, what did you follow after you arrived in Canada?

Your detailed response regarding your experience would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
In general Canada does not allow people to enter Canada until they have tested negative for TB or received treatment if they have TB. Canada has very low levels of TB, except in reserves, and wants to keep it that way.

AZ.Khan

Mar 9, 2023
In general Canada does not allow people to enter Canada until they have tested negative for TB or received treatment if they have TB. Canada has very low levels of TB, except in reserves, and wants to keep it that way.
I am familiar with that. I am specifically referring to past "treated" TB history like older than 10 years. That means the individual was treated a long time ago and doesn't have active TB.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am familiar with that. I am specifically referring to past "treated" TB history like older than 10 years. That means the individual was treated a long time ago and doesn't have active TB.
They usually wait until your sputum sample has reviewed and repeat x-ray is done to confirm no current TB which will take 2-3 months.

AZ.Khan

Mar 9, 2023
What makes you think there won’t be an interview in your case?
I already gave biometrics and had a medical assessment 3 weeks ago. I think the medical assessment is the last step from issuing a visa. As far as I know, it takes about 2-4 weeks for a visa to be approved after your medical is passed. I just assume that a personal interview is not necessary in each case, though it may vary applicant to applicant I think. And after your above message, I went to the IRCC website and found something similar. I am quoting the part from the IRCC website here: "Any application submitted in the prescribed manner must be assessed against the Canadian program criteria and, if the person meets the criteria, they must be issued a visa. Assessment against the criteria may or may not require a personal interview."

Here is link to the part about interview: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/resettlement/admissibility/decide-interview.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What makes you think there won’t be an interview in your case?
Given that Canada no longer has presence in Afghanistan it would be difficult to conduct interviews. If applicants are in neighbouring countries they may not be able to travel if they hav3 overstayed in that country. The Afghanistan program is run differently than other private sponsorship programs.

Mar 23, 2023
I already gave biometrics and had a medical assessment 3 weeks ago. I think the medical assessment is the last step from issuing a visa. As far as I know, it takes about 2-4 weeks for a visa to be approved after your medical is passed. I just assume that a personal interview is not necessary in each case, though it may vary applicant to applicant I think. And after your above message, I went to the IRCC website and found something similar. I am quoting the part from the IRCC website here: "Any application submitted in the prescribed manner must be assessed against the Canadian program criteria and, if the person meets the criteria, they must be issued a visa. Assessment against the criteria may or may not require a personal interview."

Here is link to the part about interview: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/resettlement/admissibility/decide-interview.html

Your case might be different from others. As far I know, some ethnic groups like minorities from Afghanistan are not called for interview.
Any update from your case?