+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Affidavits!

Nadia33

May 7, 2013
There may be a thread out there on this, I tried to find one but couldnt sift through it all!

I need to write an common-law affidavit for two of our friends/family to sign etc. at the notary proving the authenticity our relationship as well as an affidavit for the translation of our documents.

Would anybody be able to send me a sample of these types of affidavits? I have an idea of how they should be written but if anyone who happens to have done it could send me a link or something Id really appreciate it!!

Also a question- if we have lived together for less than two years and dont have kids together, it says something in the guide about me proving my intention (as sponsor) to care for my common-law spouse and provide him with whatever he may need when were in canada.
Would this mean another affidavit??

Thanks so much!!!

Nadia

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
DON'T write the letters yourself. They should be written by the people that will be signing them, from their own point of view. It doesn't have to be anything formal. The person should say how they know you, for how long, how they met your partner, that they know you are in a genuine relationship, and a few words to support that, like about a particular time they were with both of you together.

We had each set of parents write ours. My parents spoke of him coming with me to Canada every Christmas and speaking to both of us on Skype every few days. His parents spoke of us coming over for dinner every week and celebrating birthdays and holidays together.

The worst thing would be for the letters to be the same or to look like a sample, as this shows they aren't really the words of the person who signed, which is a red flag. Don't tell them exactly what to write, just give them the guideline of what the letter should contain and let it be their own words.

I think you're mixing up a few things. ALL sponsors are financially responsible for their sponsored partners for 3 years, regardless of how long they have been together or how many kids they have. This basically means if he decides not to work, you have to support him; if he claims welfare, you have to pay the government back every penny that he takes.

For the 2 year rule, see here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/backgrounders/2012/2012-10-26a.asp. It has nothing to do with supporting him, it simply means that you have to live together for at least 2 years after he becomes a PR or he could lose his PR.