+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Affidavit of Financial Support for SOWP and dependents from family member in Canada

stussy

Jun 7, 2010
Hi! I have a family member that has been approved for Study Permit. SOWP and dependents will now submit their application. Can anyone provide a sample for an affidavit of financial support from us family members currently living in Canada who will also provide accommodation? Do we just put in that they are accompanying spouse on Study Permit? Thank you very much!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi! I have a family member that has been approved for Study Permit. SOWP and dependents will now submit their application. Can anyone provide a sample for an affidavit of financial support from us family members currently living in Canada who will also provide accommodation? Do we just put in that they are accompanying spouse on Study Permit? Thank you very much!
How are you related to this person?

Generally speaking, it weakens the application when there is a sponsor and IRCC wants to see that the family has the funds to cover all expenses themselves.

Even if they are living with you, they must still show they have proof of funds to cover accommodations. They can't skip providing proof of funds for living expenses just because you are providing accommodations. If they don't have funds for accommodations, the visas will be refused.

Reactions: Naturgrl

stussy

Jun 7, 2010
How are you related to this person?

Generally speaking, it weakens the application when there is a sponsor and IRCC wants to see that the family has the funds to cover all expenses themselves.

Even if they are living with you, they must still show they have proof of funds to cover accommodations. They can't skip providing proof of funds for living expenses just because you are providing accommodations. If they don't have funds for accommodations, the visas will be refused.
Thank you for your input. We're siblings. They have more than enough proof of funds but we wanted to still provide an affidavit of support since we also did it for my sister's student visa as further support

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your input. We're siblings. They have more than enough proof of funds but we wanted to still provide an affidavit of support since we also did it for my sister's student visa as further support
I would leave it out this time around. That's just my opinion.

It sounds like you plus another sibling are already in Canada. It starts becoming more difficult to get a study permit approved in these cases since IRCC then assumes the other sibling has plans on remaining in Canada long term. My two cents is to have them apply without any affidavit from you. The affidavit will just increase their ties to Canada which is actually a disadvantage in this case. Again, obviusly your choice.

stussy

Jun 7, 2010
Yes. There's more than two of us already in Canada. All canadian citizens. Would it still matter? The immigration consultant recommended an affidavit of support that's why we're asking but we appreciate all the advice. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. There's more than two of us already in Canada. All canadian citizens. Would it still matter? The immigration consultant recommended an affidavit of support that's why we're asking but we appreciate all the advice. Thank you!
Affidavit of support isn’t any form of legal proof that you will support them. There have been plenty of family breakdowns where support has never materialized. If they are in a position to provide for themselves there is no need for you to provide support. It just complicates the application. When it comes to SOWP and TRVs or study permits for children over 4/5 it is partially dependent on what type of degree primary applicant is pursuing and their funds. If the family applied for a study permit while indicating that the rest of the family would not be accompanying there is always a risk that the family will not be approved to accompany the student.