+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advise on bringing my brother to Canada.

Ali94

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hello.

I hope you are well.

I am a Permanent Resident in Canada. and I am originally from Syria.

I have a brother who is 35 years old, he used to live in Saudia Arabia, Moved to Syria in 2009 for University study, and after the war started in 2011, he was arrested for participation in peaceful demonstrations, but he eventually was released and escaped to Saudi Arabia.

Soon after that, He learned again that his name was on the wanted list by the Syrian Regime and would be arrested anytime he returned to Syria.

Currently, my brother is working almost Illegally in Saudi Arabia, and he is at risk of deportation to Syria anytime which causes him a nightmare.

I was wondering what is the best way to bring him to Canada, not sure how to start and where. please advise me.

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello.

I hope you are well.

I have a brother who is 35 years old, he used to live in Saudia Arabia, Moved to Syria in 2009 for University study, and after the war started in 2011, he was arrested for participation in peaceful demonstrations, but he eventually was released and escaped to Saudi Arabia.

Soon after that, He learned again that his name was on the wanted list by the Syrian Regime and would be arrested anytime he returned to Syria.

Currently, my brother is working almost Illegally in Saudi Arabia, and he is at risk of deportation to Syria anytime which causes him a nightmare.

I was wondering what is the best way to bring him to Canada, not sure how to start and where. please advise me.

Thanks.
Unfortunately the options are likely extremely limited given his status in the country where he is residing. The options available will not be fast.

Since he's there without status, anything like a work permit, study permit or TRV will not be possible.

If you meet ALL of the conditions below, then you can sponsor him to Canada as a family member. However this process will take a few years and it will be a few years before he will be able to come to Canada. Here are the conditions you would need to be able to meet to sponosor him through the program:
- You are single (unmarried and not in a common law relationship)
- You have no children
- Both of your parents are deceased
- You have no other family members in Canada (e.g., aunt, uncle, counsins, etc.)

The last option I can think of is sponsoring him as a refugee through the Group of Five program. To qualify, he needs to be living outside of his home country and more importantly, needs to be recognized as a refugee by UNHCR. You would need to then find 4 other Canadians who are willing to co-sign the application and financially support him.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello.

I hope you are well.

Thanks.
One more thing to add to my post above. Another option of course is for your brother to apply for PR on his own through an economic immigration program like Express Entry or a PNP program. He is on the older side and will lose points because of this. It is hard to say if he would have a chance under one of these programs. That will depend on factors such as the level of education he has complete, his level of English and / or French, his years of skilled work exerience, and his NOC / occupation.

Ali94

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
Hi there, I really appreciate your responses,

just to clarify

He is an engineer,
He has a legal status in Saudi Arabia (Iqama) but he is working with a company other than the one he registered with, that is why I mentioned it illegally. (he is registered as a "Worker in company X" and he is working as an "Engineer in Company Y". (Which is illegal)

He is not officially recognized as a Refugee by any agency.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there, I really appreciate your responses,

just to clarify

He is an engineer,
He has a legal status in Saudi Arabia (Iqama) but he is working with a company other than the one he registered with, that is why I mentioned it illegally. (he is registered as a "Worker in company X" and he is working as an "Engineer in Company Y". (Which is illegal)

He is not officially recognized as a Refugee by any agency.
Thanks for clarifying.

What is his level of education? Does he have a Master's or PhD? What about English or French? Is he fluent in either language?

Ali94

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
He has Bachelor's degree in Engineer, and almost finishing his master's degree as well. (i think needs around 2-3 months to finish it.

He can speak English at a good level since he studied in English for both the master's and the Bachler degrees, however, no Official test was done for him.

His work experience is somehow limited, he changed a couple of jobs within the last few years, and he is now in the 4th month of his current job.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He has Bachelor's degree in Engineer, and almost finishing his master's degree as well. (i think needs around 2-3 months to finish it.

He can speak English at a good level since he studied in English for both the master's and the Bachler degrees, however, no Official test was done for him.

His work experience is somehow limited, he changed a couple of jobs within the last few years, and he is now in the 4th month of his current job.
Does he have one year of continuous work experience in a single occupation?

Ali94

Star Member
Aug 2, 2018
I don't think so.

However things seem relatively stable in his current, job, and I think he can complete 1-year of experience after 8 months.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't think so.

However things seem relatively stable in his current, job, and I think he can complete 1-year of experience after 8 months.
He should definitely complete his Master's. And he absolutely needs to have at least one year of continuous work experience in a single NOC if he wants to immigrate through an economic immigration program. Even so, this isn't a guaranteed path due to his age and limited work experience.

He could try the study permit option but I think would either need to be coming to complete another Masters (after he finishes his first one) or a PhD.

I think a work permit would be very difficult right now since he lacks work experience.

My recommendation would be that he complete the year of work experience, complete his Masters, and then look into immigration options through the PNP programs.