+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice-- Visiting Canada for up to 3 Months, PR in the Wings

Dec 7, 2019
Hi there,

I'm a US citizen (from Florida) that has been in a long-distance relationship with my Canadian partner (ON) for 2 years. Last year, I decided to take the next step and apply for my Canadian PR. I recieved my ITA July, officially applied in August and my application is suspected to be complete by February 2020.

Note: I'm a BA graduate and until recently, was employed for a year as a technical writer. I now dabble with freelance projects, but I'm not sure it qualifies as proof of employment.

Quite honestly, the distance has become too much to bear until February, or later, and so I decided to leave my job and drive to Canada with my partner in December. We've rented an Airb&b in Mississauga, Ontario and plan to stay for the entire month of December and intend to stay beyond that, until April, when I'd return to the US for my belongings.

My partner and I plan to drive across the Buffalo border in my vehicle, with some luggage (likey two suitcases, a backpack containing my laptop) and my dog.

So far, I've read some alarming things about crossing the border via car, to visit a significant other long-term, as the officer may be concerned I intend to stay in Canada permanetly, at that time.

My question, aside from the above, is:

What can I do to ensure a smooth border crossing?

I know the best advice is to simply be honest, and I intend to say I'm visiting friends (I am unsure if I should divulge that my partner is my partner, and not just a friend, but again.. I've been made to understand it's best to be honest, just not disclose every detail)

I also plan to show them my Airb&B reservation, which is for the month of December and I'm also bringing $1000 in cash, to support myself.

What else can I do?

Other notes: I do not own property in Florida, I simply live with my father and pay $500 in rent every month. I do technically co-own property with my sister in Masschusetts, but that's it. All that I really own is my car.

I've never crossed the border via car into Canada. I've flown to Canada 2 times this year for shorter visits (1-2 weeks), although, I don't think my passport has ever been stamped.

I appreciate very much.. any advice on this. She and I are very anxious about the whole ordeal and we want to be as honest as possible, but also together, and we're so very close.

Kindly,
M & L

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi there,

I'm a US citizen (from Florida) that has been in a long-distance relationship with my Canadian partner (ON) for 2 years. Last year, I decided to take the next step and apply for my Canadian PR. I recieved my ITA July, officially applied in August and my application is suspected to be complete by February 2020.

Note: I'm a BA graduate and until recently, was employed for a year as a technical writer. I now dabble with freelance projects, but I'm not sure it qualifies as proof of employment.

Quite honestly, the distance has become too much to bear until February, or later, and so I decided to leave my job and drive to Canada with my partner in December. We've rented an Airb&b in Mississauga, Ontario and plan to stay for the entire month of December and intend to stay beyond that, until April, when I'd return to the US for my belongings.

My partner and I plan to drive across the Buffalo border in my vehicle, with some luggage (likey two suitcases, a backpack containing my laptop) and my dog.

So far, I've read some alarming things about crossing the border via car, to visit a significant other long-term, as the officer may be concerned I intend to stay in Canada permanetly, at that time.

My question, aside from the above, is:

What can I do to ensure a smooth border crossing?

I know the best advice is to simply be honest, and I intend to say I'm visiting friends (I am unsure if I should divulge that my partner is my partner, and not just a friend, but again.. I've been made to understand it's best to be honest, just not disclose every detail)

I also plan to show them my Airb&B reservation, which is for the month of December and I'm also bringing $1000 in cash, to support myself.

What else can I do?

Other notes: I do not own property in Florida, I simply live with my father and pay $500 in rent every month. I do technically co-own property with my sister in Masschusetts, but that's it. All that I really own is my car.

I've never crossed the border via car into Canada. I've flown to Canada 2 times this year for shorter visits (1-2 weeks), although, I don't think my passport has ever been stamped.

I appreciate very much.. any advice on this. She and I are very anxious about the whole ordeal and we want to be as honest as possible, but also together, and we're so very close.

Kindly,
M & L
Right now all you are allowed to do is visit Canada - not live here. It's possible you may be questioned when crossing the border - also possible you might not be - that's impossible for any of us to say.

If you are questioned, you should be able to show more than just the $1K in cash to fund your stay in Canada. I'm going to assume you have a bank account with substanially more savings. Make sure you bring a recent bank statement to prove this in case you are asked.

Your ties to the US right now are very low. You don't have a job and live with your parent. Definitely do not bring more than 2 suitcases. The 3 months airbnb rental doesn't play in your favour IMO - it makes it look like you're moving to Canada before you're authorized to do so. I wouldn't mention that you have a three month rental unless specifically asked.

I would leave your dog at home if at all possible. Genuine visitors generally don't usually bring pets and bringing your dog increases the chances of issues at the border. If you are insistent on bringing your dog, make sure you look into vaccination requirements and also make sure the breed is allowed into Canada.

If by any chance you do run into issues and it looks like you may be refused entry - do not argue or try to reason with CBSA and just accept the refusal. While extremely extremely rare - we do on ocassion see Americans end up with 1 year exclusion orders - you definitely want to avoid this.

Dec 7, 2019
Right now all you are allowed to do is visit Canada - not live here. It's possible you may be questioned when crossing the border - also possible you might not be - that's impossible for any of us to say.

If you are questioned, you should be able to show more than just the $1K in cash to fund your stay in Canada. I'm going to assume you have a bank account with substanially more savings. Make sure you bring a recent bank statement to prove this in case you are asked.

Your ties to the US right now are very low. You don't have a job and live with your parent. Definitely do not bring more than 2 suitcases. The 3 months airbnb rental doesn't play in your favour IMO - it makes it look like you're moving to Canada before you're authorized to do so. I wouldn't mention that you have a three month rental unless specifically asked.

I would leave your dog at home if at all possible. Genuine visitors generally don't usually bring pets and bringing your dog increases the chances of issues at the border. If you are insistent on bringing your dog, make sure you look into vaccination requirements and also make sure the breed is allowed into Canada.

If by any chance you do run into issues and it looks like you may be refused entry - do not argue or try to reason with CBSA and just accept the refusal. While extremely extremely rare - we do on ocassion see Americans end up with 1 year exclusion orders - you definitely want to avoid this.
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply. I really apreciate it!

I definitely have more savings in my US bank account. Around 16 grand or so. I will bring the bank statements-- good idea.

So currently, the rental is only for Dec 12th to the 31st. So, technically it's 20 days. After that, we may rent another one or stay at her current apartment. Her lease is officially up February 1st.

If you think it be best we state we'll be staying at her current residence, I'll do that. Unless it was just the 3-month stay that is red-flaggy? 3 weeks likely sounds better, for a visit.

My current baggage consists of 1 large luggage and either, a small or big packpack. I was thinking of bringing the second luggage.. but you are likely right and the less in my car, the better.

Also, my dog is not really an option. She goes where I go, but rest assured, I made sure her breed can cross the border and I got copies of her rabies vaccination, signed by my vet, as well as her up-to-date shots.

And yeah, I completely hear that. As heart breaking as it'd be, I know better than to cross verbal blades with authority figures. I'm too passive to argue, anyway. My heartbreak might be evident though, ha.

I just changed the plates and renewed the car registration on my car, so it expires in 2021. Not sure if that helps.

And I am umemployed, it's true, but since I left my job on December 2nd, my health benefits are extended to me until the end of the December.

Again, not sure if officers would even pay this any mind. The bigger ties, as you said, I don't really have.

Do you think it'd be beneficial to bring along copies of the fact that I own propety in Massaschusetts? It was recently bought this year.

Kindly,
M&L

Alberta35

Jun 15, 2015
Edmonton
Was wondering how this all went? I did the same thing a few years ago. I am from Buffalo, and was in a long distance relationship from someone from Edmonton. We took the plunge and I "moved" to Edmonton as a "visitor" while my PR application was in process. My friend drove me and my significant other over the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, with my dog, her crate and toys, along with many of my suitcases. They didn't really ask any questions and we drove off to the Toronto Pearson airport. They may not have questioned me much as I used to cross the border to Canada frequently (as I lived within miles from the border). Hope all went well!