+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice/Strategy for Immigration from overseas

cheekycan

Feb 7, 2006
Hi, my finance is Malaysian, I'm a Canadian citizen.

She wants to immigrate to Canada as soon as possible.
We plan to get married in Canada.

So our thoughts are that she apply for a temporary visitors visa to come to Canada, then get married, then continue on with the sponsorship application and so on.

The questions are:
1. When applying for the TRV, do we state the purpose is for getting married? Or is there a special form of TRV (or other application), to apply for this purpose?

2. Should she apply for a duration of only 1 week as that would make life easier during the interview (if necessary)?

The issue is that if you apply for say 3-6 month TRV (we did this already last year and were successful), you have to interview and answer all these questions about why you're going for so long etc, proof of A LOT of funds etc. We figure if it's only for a week, then the requirements would be less (especially the proof of funds).

However, if it's only for one week, it seems there is no time to have an extension of the TRV to be approved. Last year, she came on a 3 month, applied for an extention the day she got here but didn't get the extention approval until the day before she would have had to leave!

So we're basically at an impasse.

1. Do we apply for only one week to make it easier to come to get married, have her go back and continue on applying from overseas?

2. Do we even mention on the application that the visit is for the purpose of getting married? or just say vacation in general?

3. Make it more difficult to come to visit/get married, however then apply for sponsorship and while that is being processed, apply for an extention (and extenion after that, however many it takes), so she can stay in Canada until the sponsorship is approved? (what are the chances of this actually happening is I wonder).

Has anyone had any experience in any of the above options? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks much.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cheekycan said:
Hi, my finance is Malaysian, I'm a Canadian citizen.

She wants to immigrate to Canada as soon as possible.
We plan to get married in Canada.

So our thoughts are that she apply for a temporary visitors visa to come to Canada, then get married, then continue on with the sponsorship application and so on.

The questions are:
1. When applying for the TRV, do we state the purpose is for getting married? Or is there a special form of TRV (or other application), to apply for this purpose?

2. Should she apply for a duration of only 1 week as that would make life easier during the interview (if necessary)?

The issue is that if you apply for say 3-6 month TRV (we did this already last year and were successful), you have to interview and answer all these questions about why you're going for so long etc, proof of A LOT of funds etc. We figure if it's only for a week, then the requirements would be less (especially the proof of funds).

However, if it's only for one week, it seems there is no time to have an extension of the TRV to be approved. Last year, she came on a 3 month, applied for an extention the day she got here but didn't get the extention approval until the day before she would have had to leave!

So we're basically at an impasse.

1. Do we apply for only one week to make it easier to come to get married, have her go back and continue on applying from overseas?

2. Do we even mention on the application that the visit is for the purpose of getting married? or just say vacation in general?

3. Make it more difficult to come to visit/get married, however then apply for sponsorship and while that is being processed, apply for an extention (and extenion after that, however many it takes), so she can stay in Canada until the sponsorship is approved? (what are the chances of this actually happening is I wonder).

Has anyone had any experience in any of the above options? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks much.
1. If she lies about her purpose in coming to Canada, that is misrepresentation and the application will not be processed in Canada.
2. The chances are slim to none that she will get a visitor's visa to come to Canada to marry.
3. You probably are going to have to go to Malaysia to get married and then sponsor her in the normal manner.

PMM

cheekycan

Feb 7, 2006
Thanks for the advice. Looks like we'll go for #2 eventho it's a slim to none chance as there's no harm in doing so. Else, we'll do it the long way i guess :cry:

apple_talk

Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa (Pilot)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-12-2007
Doc's Request.
25-11-2011
AOR Received.
16-01-2012
IELTS Request
Not required
File Transfer...
16-04-2012
Med's Request
20-06-2012
Med's Done....
20-06-2012
Passport Req..
04-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2013
LANDED..........
13-02-2013
cheekycan said:
Thanks for the advice. Looks like we'll go for #2 eventho it's a slim to none chance as there's no harm in doing so. Else, we'll do it the long way i guess :cry:
Did you able to get married? is CIC still processing your case?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
apple_talk said:
Did you able to get married? is CIC still processing your case?
As the thread is over 7 years old and that was the OP's last ever post, I suspect that we will never know.