+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice required on TEF/French

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
Hi all,

This is my situation:
I am in express entry pool since a month. My points are 413 and would increase to 438 in December upon completion of 3 years work experience.

My IELTS score is CLB 10 in all modules except in writing in which i have CLB 9 (scored band 7).

As you can see, I have around 06 months until December. I am thinking to learn French, reach A2 level by then and then sit for TEF.

The reason for all this is to add 4 to 10 points and also learn something new which would be fruitful in canada. The reason for not sitting for IELTS is that it would add atmost 03 more points if I max out in writing but this is dicy as one can never know if one screws up in some other module.

Please advice me on this and how much points can I score at level A2 via TEF I have shortlisted Frenchace institute and Canada Dreams Academy in Chandigarh and Mohali for weekend batches.

Thank you for reading such a lengthy post.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

This is my situation:
I am in express entry pool since a month. My points are 413 and would increase to 438 in December upon completion of 3 years work experience.

My IELTS score is CLB 10 in all modules except in writing in which i have CLB 9 (scored band 7).

As you can see, I have around 06 months until December. I am thinking to learn French, reach A2 level by then and then sit for TEF.

The reason for all this is to add 4 to 10 points and also learn something new which would be fruitful in canada. The reason for not sitting for IELTS is that it would add atmost 03 more points if I max out in writing but this is dicy as one can never know if one screws up in some other module.

Please advice me on this and how much points can I score at level A2 via TEF I have shortlisted Frenchace institute and Canada Dreams Academy in Chandigarh and Mohali for weekend batches.

Thank you for reading such a lengthy post.
If you are learning French from scratch, you should assume it will take at least a year (likely more) of very dedicated study before you will achieve the skill level required to add points to your profile. By then, you will have lost points based on your age.

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
If you are learning French from scratch, you should assume it will take at least a year (likely more) of very dedicated study before you will achieve the skill level required to add points to your profile. By then, you will have lost points based on your age.
Thank you for the reply.

I do think an year is required to reach a significant point scoring level but I just want to add 4 to 10 points which can be achieved by scoring half of the total points ineach tef module. What do you say.
Btw, I am 26 years old so age would not have any impact atleast for upcoming 4 years.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the reply. Hmm, I do think an year is required to reach a significant point scoring level but I just want to add 4 to 10 points which can be achieved by scoring half of the total points ineach tef module. What do you say.
Btw, I am 26 years old so age would not have any impact atleast for upcoming 4 years.
I think it's going to take you a year or more of very dedicated study. It's a hard language to learn.

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
Level A2 will not give you additional scores on CRS...
Thank you for the reply.

Hmm, I do think an year is required to reach a significant point scoring level but I just want to add 4 to 10 points which can be achieved by scoring half of the total points in each tef module. What do you say? How much time would it take someone to reach A2 level in French?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for the reply.

Hmm, I do think an year is required to reach a significant point scoring level but I just want to add 4 to 10 points which can be achieved by scoring half of the total points in each tef module. What do you say? How much time would it take someone to reach A2 level in French?
A2 is still not enough to get the points that you want to get.

Reactions: scylla

monica25

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
A2 is still not enough to get the points that you want to get.
I agree with him. I took TEF in may
If your goal is A2 in frech that would be CLB3 (that represent 0 additional points)
If you want exactly 4 points you would need CLB5 (B1+) which could take 2-3 years if you learn fast.

Reactions: scylla

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
I think it's going to take you a year or more of very dedicated study. It's a hard language to learn.
So should I just wait at a 438 score? Btw, I forgot to mention that I was planning to take French lessons only on weekends (7 to 8 hours class).
Thank you for the response.

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
I agree with him. I took TEF in may
If your goal is A2 in frech that would be CLB3 (that represent 0 additional points)
If you want exactly 4 points you would need CLB5 (B1+) which could take 2-3 years if you learn fast.
How to convert French levels to TEF score/CLB's. Can you please provide a source for this conversion?
So should I just wait at a 438 score? Btw, I forgot to mention that I was planning to take French lessons only on weekends (7 to 8 hours class).

Last edited:

monica25

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
How to convert French levels to TEF score/CLB's. Can you please provide a source for this conversion?
You can check the conversion here: https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Correspondance-Niveaux-NCLC-scores-TEF-CANADA.pdf

Yeah, that's how I learned it, and it does take time.
Well.. last year the minimum score to receive ITA drop twice to 415 (or 411), the lowest score reported this year has been 440 (May 23th) so you do have good chances.

Reactions: JSK_92

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
You can check the conversion here: https://www.lefrancaisdesaffaires.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Correspondance-Niveaux-NCLC-scores-TEF-CANADA.pdf

Yeah, that's how I learned it, and it does take time.
Well.. last year the minimum score to receive ITA drop twice to 415 (or 411), the lowest score reported this year has been 440 (May 23th) so you do have good chances.
Thanks a LOT for the resource.
Well, it looks like minimum B1 level is needed to get atleast 04 points via TEF
I would have gone for french lessons but I am also working on adding new skillsets (in high demand) to my resume.
I was contemplating to put that on back burner so as to work dedicatedly for TEF. But it seems, it's better to just wait and hope for a pnp as well.
Btw, do you mind telling me about how and when you started learning french, your experience with tef and your current level in it ☺
Thank you again :)

monica25

Star Member
Jun 18, 2018
Thanks a LOT for the resource.
Well, it looks like minimum B1 level is needed to get atleast 04 points via TEF
I would have gone for french lessons but I am also working on adding new skillsets (in high demand) to my resume.
I was contemplating to put that on back burner so as to work dedicatedly for TEF. But it seems, it's better to just wait and hope for a pnp as well.
Btw, do you mind telling me about how and when you started learning french, your experience with tef and your current level in it ☺
Thank you again :)
I started learning french in 2011, (for fun, I wasn't considering migrating back then and I believe Express Entry didn't exist) I took weekend lessons for 3-4 years at the University, since then I continued learning on my own.
I believe preparing for TEF was difficult only because there isn't a lot of information about the test itself. I could only find 2 sample tests (In comparision with IELTS, there are a lot of informative websites and sample tests everywhere!)
The Test was similar to those 2 sample tests (of course different questions!)
I got level C1 (CLB 9 and 10) :)

Reactions: JSK_92

JSK_92

May 25, 2018
I started learning french in 2011, (for fun, I wasn't considering migrating back then and I believe Express Entry didn't exist) I took weekend lessons for 3-4 years at the University, since then I continued learning on my own.
I believe preparing for TEF was difficult only because there isn't a lot of information about the test itself. I could only find 2 sample tests (In comparision with IELTS, there are a lot of informative websites and sample tests everywhere!)
The Test was similar to those 2 sample tests (of course different questions!)
I got level C1 (CLB 9 and 10) :)
Wow C1 is great!
merci beaucoup for all the time and help :)