+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ADVICE regarding TRV for conjugal partner to attend son's baptism

Moyita

Feb 26, 2016
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of gathering all the necessary documents to submit a TRV application for my conjugal partner to attend our son's baptism in April 2016. We have already had one application rejected last year prior to being partners and having our son. I am hoping to get some feedback about the documents we are hoping to provide as part of the application (is it enough, are we forgetting anything, etc.), the reason for his visit to Canada (good enough to warrant a visit?), and what you think our chances of getting the visa (given our unique situation) is.

First, a little about our situation:

We are both divorced and my partner has a daughter from a previous relationship. We have been together since September 2014 and I have visited him on 4 occasions prior to getting pregnant (planned pregnancy) and deciding to move to his country (Dominican Republic) for my maternity leave. He has a stable job and I am in the final year of my PhD and have a full time work contract. We have been living together for 8 months (9 by the time we submit the visa application). Our son was born in the Dominican Republic and has dual citizenship (Dominican and Canadian). Although my partner owns a house in his country (which he is renting), we are renting an apartment, have purchased a car, and have all of our belongings here. My only ties to Canada are my aging mother and my work contract which ends in August 2016. My partner has never traveled outside of the Dominican Republic. His father and brother live in the United States, while his mother and sister are in the Dominican Republic.

The purpose of his visit to Canada:

My maternity leave is now almost done and I am expected back at work to finish the last four months of my contract in May 2016. Our son will be quite young when I return to work (he will only be 6 months old) and it is very important for both my partner and I to remain united as a family and continue living together while I have to be in Canada for the final stretch of my PhD (which ends with my work contract). We hope to request a TRV for my spouse in order for him to be in Canada for 4 months and plan to baptise our son during this time; therefore allowing my family to attend. We plan on returning as a family to the Dominican Republic to live permanently after the end of my PhD and work contract in August 2016.

What we plan to submit with his application:

Our application is substantial and we plan on including as many documents as possible to prove our intent to return to the Dominican Republic as a family at the end of August 2016 (2 months before his TRV would expire - provided that he gets it!). We plan on including:

- An affidavit of intent to return to the Dominican Republic
- Copies of both of our divorce certificates
- A letter from his employer stating his title/position, dates of employment, responsibilities, salary and benefits
- A letter from his employer confirming approval for paid vacation time off for the duration of his trip and date expected back at work
- Bank statements for the last 6 months
- Lease for our apartment in the Dominican Republic valid until January 2017
- Copies of service contracts (electricity, internet, etc.) for our apartment in the Dominican Republic
- Sale contract for the purchase of our car in the Dominican Republic
- Lease for our sublet in Canada (from May to August 2016 - includes both of our names)
- Flight purchase confirmation clearly indicating return date
- Contract for our son's baptism ceremony
- Copy of receipts for the purchase of our furniture and appliances in the Dominican Republic
- Statements from my bank stating sufficient funds as I will cover my partner's expenses while in Canada
- Bank statement from my mother who will serve as a guarantor in case I do not have sufficient funds
- A cover letter describing the content of the application
- All visa application forms
- A letter of invitation from myself with adjoining letter from my mother stating her intent and responsibilities with regards to his trip
- My employment contract stating finish date
- An employment letter for my new job in the DR starting in September 2016 (proving that I too will be returning)
- Copy of my daughter-in-law's birth certificate
- Copy of our son's birth certificate
- Copy of our itinerary within Canada
- Copy of home ownership contract for my partner
- 2 photos
- Copy of my Canadian birth certificate
- Copy of my registration to University as a PhD student
- School/Educational certificates for my partner
- Letter from my partner's employer stating his registration in a training session/course in September 2016 (proving his need to return to the DR)
- Letter from orthodontist confirming schedule surgery date for October 2016 with copy of dental x-rays (proving need to return to the DR)
- Photos of ourselves with colleagues, friends and family in the DR, including photos of my mother's visit with her new grandson
- My mother's tickets from her trip to visit her new grandson
- Previous visa application information and rejection letter
- Translations in English of all documents originally written in Spanish

Overall, I don't know if we're going overboard but we can't afford (for the sake of our son) to have this visa rejected. We are very aware of the rejection rate and want to put all the chances on our side. We also want to correct the mistakes that we made the first time around (got rejected for failing to provide sufficient proof of his ties to the DR even though we had employment letters, home ownership contract, proof of family ties = his daughter who remains in the DR). We do not have a pending application for a permanent residency visa as we plan on moving back to the DR in August 2016. Any feedback you can provide us on the strength of our application, tips or ideas about what else we could include, opinion on the reason for the visit (i.e., our son's baptism), ANYTHING! It would be greatly appreciated.