+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice please! Passport help! way to not have to go back to home country once passport expires?!

ErinGojetsgo

May 12, 2018
My fiance and I want to get married. I am a canadian citizen and he is from South Africa. We want to apply for PR for him once married, and are wondering if there are ANY options or LEGAL ways for him to not have to go back to S.A. once his passport expires. Is it possible for him to get a Canadian passport or he cant until he becomes a canadian citizen?

Could maybe be coming on a TRV but passport expires nex

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My fiance and I want to get married. I am a canadian citizen and he is from South Africa. We want to apply for PR for him once married, and are wondering if there are ANY options or LEGAL ways for him to not have to go back to S.A. once his passport expires. Is it possible for him to get a Canadian passport or he cant until he becomes a canadian citizen?

Of course he can't get a Canadian passport until he is actually a Canadian citizen.

Permanent residents do not require a valid passport to live here. However, note that he will not be granted visitor status in Canada beyond passport expiry and he cannot be granted PR without a valid passport.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

Can't he just renew S.Africa passport from Embassy, Consulate, High Commission, etc of S.Africa in Canada?

Or have him renew passport before he leaves.

After any PR app you submit is approved, he can't complete his landing as a PR unless he has a valid passport at the time.

ErinGojetsgo

May 12, 2018
Thank you both for that information! That is very helpful! @Rob_TO @canuck_in_uk

So if he applies for PR before his passport expires and it gets approved, then he can stay here as a PR without having a valid passport?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thank you both for that information! That is very helpful! @Rob_TO @canuck_in_uk

So if he applies for PR before his passport expires and it gets approved, then he can stay here as a PR without having a valid passport?
The PR app must be approved and most importantly he must land as a PR, all before his passport expires.

Of course it's fine to live in Canada with no passport from his home country, he just obviously won't be allowed to leave Canada.

Reactions: ErinGojetsgo

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
This whole thread makes me wonder if there is a problem with returning to South Africa for legal/political reasons.

For PR he will need a police certificate from there. If that doesn't come back clean, there are going to be a whole load of other problems...

ErinGojetsgo

May 12, 2018
This whole thread makes me wonder if there is a problem with returning to South Africa for legal/political reasons.

For PR he will need a police certificate from there. If that doesn't come back clean, there are going to be a whole load of other problems...

Yes completely understandable but we would intend to go back for a visit someday but honestly want him to move here to be with me. I am a Canadian citizen and dont want to move to south africa, his criminal record would come back spotless.

He worked in Canada and the US last year for a course of 6 months and fell in love with Canada and me, so this is all so new to me.

ErinGojetsgo

May 12, 2018

It is more so just because of the cost of going all the way back home just to renew his passport as we would much rather have him stay here

ErinGojetsgo

May 12, 2018
Why isn't he renewing it through South African embassy then?
There is currently a visitor visa processing for him and we've been waiting 3.5 months for an answer already and he would need to reapply for a new visa if he renewed his passport wouldn't he?

ErinGojetsgo

May 12, 2018
Why isn't he renewing it through South African embassy then?
He has a visitor visa application in processing which has been processing for 104 days now and if he renews his passport he would need to reapply for the visitor visa with his new passport number, we have been waiting so long so we dont want to cancel his one application now to wait another 4 months