+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice on when to apply

AllieJ

Jan 26, 2017
Hi! I'm new here. I'm a common-law spouse of a Canadian citizen. We both currently live in the UK. My common-law husband has a job offer in BC starting in July. I need to know what my options are to start the process.

Can I start an Outland application now, then travel to Canada on a visitor visa in the summer and hope they stick to the 12 month processing time? Is that allowed?

Or would I need to go to Canada in July and apply from within Canada? If I do this, can I do it on a visitor visa?

I also have the option to apply for an International Experience Canada visa and get an OWP. Could I do that, and then make an Inland application for PR as a common-law spouse?

Thanks for your help!

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
AllieJ said:
Hi! I'm new here. I'm a common-law spouse of a Canadian citizen. We both currently live in the UK. My common-law husband has a job offer in BC starting in July. I need to know what my options are to start the process.

Can I start an Outland application now, then travel to Canada on a visitor visa in the summer and hope they stick to the 12 month processing time? Is that allowed?

Or would I need to go to Canada in July and apply from within Canada? If I do this, can I do it on a visitor visa?

I also have the option to apply for an International Experience Canada visa and get an OWP. Could I do that, and then make an Inland application for PR as a common-law spouse?

Thanks for your help!
You can file an Outland application in or out of Canada, and move between them freely. In addition, UK apps normally take 4-10 months. If you are already common law partners (living together for over 1 year), you can apply now, and possibly have PR before July.

If you do not have it by July, you can go as a visitor, with the explicit understanding you are not allowed to work.

If you get an IEC permit, you can work while there if you don't get PR in time.

AllieJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bcboundboy said:
You can file an Outland application in or out of Canada, and move between them freely. In addition, UK apps normally take 4-10 months. If you are already common law partners (living together for over 1 year), you can apply now, and possibly have PR before July.

If you do not have it by July, you can go as a visitor, with the explicit understanding you are not allowed to work.

If you get an IEC permit, you can work while there if you don't get PR in time.
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful. One clarifying question: having an IEC permit won't affect my PR application at all?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
AllieJ said:
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful. One clarifying question: having an IEC permit won't affect my PR application at all?
no, one thing has nothing to do with the other. you can have both applications submitted at the same time even. it will not affect your spousal application.

sjs124

Jul 28, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-08-2016
AOR Received.
25-08-2016
File Transfer...
06-09-2016
Passport Req..
23-01-2017
AllieJ said:
My parnter applied for IEC in August 2016 (received it in September 2016), but we applied for his PR before he even did IEC. His PR was recently approved as well, so no issues!