+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice on Travel Visa Rejection

cust220

Jan 4, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on a travel visa rejection and if it's worth reapplying.

I first came to Canada in 2012 on a scholarship to study for 6 months as part of my PhD degree (I was given a W-1 work visa for this).

My partner (a Canadian Citizen by birth) then did a similar program and lived in Brazil for 6 months during 2013.

In 2014 I was granted a V-1 visitor visa (multiple entry) and visited my partner in Canada for a few weeks on it.

In early 2015, I got another work visa that was once renewed and expired Dec. 31st, 2016. During this time my passport was about to expire, so I replaced it and applied for another visitor visa mid 2016 from within Canada (prior to any visa expiration). However, this visitor expired at the end of my work visas validity.

I just applied for a new visitor visa from my home country while visiting family. I currently have no work visa, however I applied only to visit my common law partner. We submitted an out land sponsored PR application (mid December) which was returned for missing the use of a representative form and will be resubmitted soon. The visitor visa was rejected for the following reasons:

You have not satisfied me that you would leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident. In reaching this decision I considered several factors, including:

X - Travel history
X - Family ties in Canada and in country of residence
X - Length of proposed stay in Canada
X - Purpose of visit

I had put my reason for visiting Canada as wanting to visit my partner, and proposed stay as 5 months in duration. Would really appreciate any advice on if a reapplication with different information, dates, or supporting documents is likely to be successful. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
5 months is far too long a stay. If you reapply, go with 2-3 weeks. Also, see if you can provide stronger evidence of your ties to your home country.

Since you have a partner in Canada and a PR application, CIC is concerned you have plans to use the visitor visa to remain in Canada long term. For this reason, it tends to be more difficult for individuals with Canadian partners to get an approved TRV.

cust220

Jan 4, 2017
scylla said:
5 months is far too long a stay. If you reapply, go with 2-3 weeks. Also, see if you can provide stronger evidence of your ties to your home country.

Since you have a partner in Canada and a PR application, CIC is concerned you have plans to use the visitor visa to remain in Canada long term. For this reason, it tends to be more difficult for individuals with Canadian partners to get an approved TRV.
Thanks for the reply!

Do you have any idea if I were to reapply with stronger ties to my country (job offer, etc.) and for a shorter duration and ended up getting a visitor visa, would I actually be limited to a 2-3 week trip, or would I be able to stay up to the 6 month limit per stay normally in a travel visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
cust220 said:
Thanks for the reply!

Do you have any idea if I were to reapply with stronger ties to my country (job offer, etc.) and for a shorter duration and ended up getting a visitor visa, would I actually be limited to a 2-3 week trip, or would I be able to stay up to the 6 month limit per stay normally in a travel visa?
That's up to the CBSA officer you encounter at the border. This is the individual who decides if you're allowed into Canada and for how long.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Also, I would recommend you apply with more than just a job offer. You should be actively working (i.e. have several pay slips to provide) and be able to provide a letter from your employer indicating you've been given a couple of weeks leave. Also, some sort of property ownership / rental would be good.