+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice on Spousal PR Application

jpancholi0109

Jan 4, 2020
Hey Everyone,

Sorry all for the long post, but would appreciate if you could advice me on this. I am a Canadian PR currently staying in the US. I plan on moving to Canada in 1st week of March through my employer’s internal transfer. I have a few questions regarding application for my wife’s PR if y’all can answer. You might know all answers or some, please answer whichever you might know of.

1. My wife holds a Canadian Visitor Visa and has been here in the US with me. She will be entering initially with me too as a visitor. I plan on applying for inland spousal sponsorship for her within a week of entering Canada. We plan on collecting all the documents for Pr application before we come in and then submit the application once we’re in Canada. Is this doable or it raises any red flags? Is there any minimum amount of period for which one needs to stay as a visitor before applying for PR?
  2. Is 10 months enough for spousal PR to be processed? I know that sponsor PR needs to be in Canada while application is being processed for spousal PR. It’s bit tricky for us as we will be in Canada for 6-10 months and then I will have to come back to the US for some time.
  3. We also plan on applying her OWP which I believe can be done after AOR. Is it quicker to receive AOR through online submissions or Mail-In submission?
  4. If PR isn’t approved within 10 months, is there a way we could rescind the application? If so, will there be any issue in future PR application and what happens to OWP?
  5. I understand, she will need her Medical done. Can we do Medical in advance if that speeds up the process? And if so, can it be done in the US?
  6. Is there a need to hire a consultant for spousal sponsorship? We plan on doing the application ourselves. I did my application for PR myself as it was straightforward.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey Everyone,

Sorry all for the long post, but would appreciate if you could advice me on this. I am a Canadian PR currently staying in the US. I plan on moving to Canada in 1st week of March through my employer’s internal transfer. I have a few questions regarding application for my wife’s PR if y’all can answer. You might know all answers or some, please answer whichever you might know of.

1. My wife holds a Canadian Visitor Visa and has been here in the US with me. She will be entering initially with me too as a visitor. I plan on applying for inland spousal sponsorship for her within a week of entering Canada. We plan on collecting all the documents for Pr application before we come in and then submit the application once we’re in Canada. Is this doable or it raises any red flags? Is there any minimum amount of period for which one needs to stay as a visitor before applying for PR?
  2. Is 10 months enough for spousal PR to be processed? I know that sponsor PR needs to be in Canada while application is being processed for spousal PR. It’s bit tricky for us as we will be in Canada for 6-10 months and then I will have to come back to the US for some time.
  3. We also plan on applying her OWP which I believe can be done after AOR. Is it quicker to receive AOR through online submissions or Mail-In submission?
  4. If PR isn’t approved within 10 months, is there a way we could rescind the application? If so, will there be any issue in future PR application and what happens to OWP?
  5. I understand, she will need her Medical done. Can we do Medical in advance if that speeds up the process? And if so, can it be done in the US?
  6. Is there a need to hire a consultant for spousal sponsorship? We plan on doing the application ourselves. I did my application for PR myself as it was straightforward.

Appreciate your help in advance.
1) doable; no minimum stay
6) no need