+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice on getting a work visa as a US college graduate (from Burma)

Ethanhan1

Jan 3, 2020
Hello,

I am originally from Burma, but currently studying in the United States for university. I am set to graduate in 2 years time, but I plan on going a route that is alternative to my peers and plan on working in Canada. I have not worked in Canada before, although I have internship experience. The reason being that I always admired the standard of living of the country. I am aware of the expression of interest and employer sponsorships but that is as far as my knowledge on emigrating to Canada for work experience goes. I don’t necessarily plan on getting a permanent residence, while that would be great if possible . My main goal is to gain solid work experience in the country, for 4-5 years. I wanted to inquire about guidelines and tips from people who have gone down the same path that I have and how hard is it for me to gain work as a business student.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am originally from Burma, but currently studying in the United States for university. I am set to graduate in 2 years time, but I plan on going a route that is alternative to my peers and plan on working in Canada. I have not worked in Canada before, although I have internship experience. The reason being that I always admired the standard of living of the country. I am aware of the expression of interest and employer sponsorships but that is as far as my knowledge on emigrating to Canada for work experience goes. I don’t necessarily plan on getting a permanent residence, while that would be great if possible . My main goal is to gain solid work experience in the country, for 4-5 years. I wanted to inquire about guidelines and tips from people who have gone down the same path that I have and how hard is it for me to gain work as a business student.
Unfortunately it will be next to impossible to get work permit. You'll need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a work permit. Generally speaking, it's next to impossible to find employers willing to go through the process because it's very long and expensive with no guarantee of approval.

Recommend that you wait until you have finished school and have a few years of full time experience - and then look into applying to immigrate to Canada.

Ethanhan1

Jan 3, 2020
Unfortunately it will be next to impossible to get work permit. You'll need to secure a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer will need to obtain an approved LMIA so that you can apply for a work permit. Generally speaking, it's next to impossible to find employers willing to go through the process because it's very long and expensive with no guarantee of approval.

Recommend that you wait until you have finished school and have a few years of full time experience - and then look into applying to immigrate to Canada.
I see, I’ve asked multiple and this is the general answer they give me too. I know it’s subjective from industry to industry, but do you think my chances would be better if I stay working in my field in the US for about 2 years before trying to work in Canada?

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
I see, I’ve asked multiple and this is the general answer they give me too. I know it’s subjective from industry to industry, but do you think my chances would be better if I stay working in my field in the US for about 2 years before trying to work in Canada?
Not likely better than a fresh graduate.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - I don't. The chances of securing a work permit are next to impossible even with work experience. The LMIA process is very long and expensive for the employer and requires them to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. It's extremely difficult to find employers willing to go through the process.

You should focus on qualifying to immigrate instead through an economic immigration program like Express Entry and forget about the work permit.