+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice on "Final Determination Interview" and travel

bogrips

Aug 7, 2019
Hello all,

I am doing inland spousal sponsorship for PR, along with an open work permit. Time estimates were 5-6 months for the work permit, and 12 months for PR. We submitted our application in mid February 2019, and the work permit came at the end of July 2019 (YAY!), which is right on time with the original estimate.

Barely a week after getting the work permit, on Aug 2nd, I was informed by email of a "Final Determination Interview" with CIC Calgary. I believe this is effectively a landing appointment. However, this comes almost 6 months earlier than we were expecting, which is great but also makes me nervous that something is wrong. I also have a trip home (outside Canada) planned 16 days after the appointment, and the time estimate for getting a PR card is 13 days, meaning there is a big risk I won't get it in time for the trip.

So getting to my point, 1) is it normal to get a final determination interview for PR just 6 months after applying? 2) Is my temporary residence (work permit) still valid after the final determination is made on PR? 3) Would I be able to travel using my work permit, in the case that I do the interview, but my PR card does not arrive in time for the trip? 4) Given my situation should I try and reschedule the interview?

Thanks everyone! Any input is appreciated. I will continue to share my experience and outcome with the forum so that others can benefit.

yesthatclaire

Aug 7, 2019
Hi,
I am in the same situation. I just got the final determination interview date as well.
It's not unusual to have the PR application process to take well under 12 months. Others I know -mostly from the US -got the PR interview request at about the 5-6 month mark. I was still surprised by this and had no idea about the determination interview, so we went ahead and booked our honeymoon.

This is where I am now and what I know about your WP questions:

1. A colleague just called me and said that at her husbands determination interview a few weeks ago, he was told he could not leave Canada until he received the PR card. I can't get a consistent answer from anyone about WHY this is and he didn't ask why at the interview because he isn't planning on traveling.

2. SO, hearing this and since the the interview appointment email says: "If you cannot attend this interview and/or have pre-booked travels outside of Canada within 30 days following your final determination for permanent residence interview, please email WST-Landing-Enquiries@cic.gc.ca".

I emailed them about my travel plans I instantly got an automated message that, in a nutshell, said if I requested a date change they would automatically send me the new date ( anywhere between 2-3 months from the original date!!) I didn't actually request a date change just request for information. But my guess is that if you email them it is an automatic request to change the date no matter what.
While super annoying and adding more time, it's not too bad, since I already have my work permit and that's most important.

3. You cannot use your work permit as a Canada travel document. You are still considered a temporary resident and every time you leave and re-enter Canada by air or land you are still subject to immigration and customs processing-- i.e they can still deny you entry if they find reason to even if you have a WP.

4. Once you have PR, I am of the understanding you no longer need a separate work permit since PR covers that already. I am NOT totally clear on what , if anything, you have to do with your open work permit- you may have to let cic know your change in " status "...don't know for sure.. I think this can be answered by the interviewer for you.

Final thought: Maybe it's possible they they flag your passport after your interview as a "PR pending", and since you need your actual PR card to re-enter Canada by air or land then you can't travel? I have no idea. Maybe they consider leaving Canada after the interview to mean you really are not committed to being a PR ?

I kinda wish I hadn't even sent the email and just went to the interview. We might just show up for the interview next week anyway and see what happens...

Good luck!!

Reactions: bogrips

Mcosta

Feb 15, 2019
Hello all,

I am doing inland spousal sponsorship for PR, along with an open work permit. Time estimates were 5-6 months for the work permit, and 12 months for PR. We submitted our application in mid February 2019, and the work permit came at the end of July 2019 (YAY!), which is right on time with the original estimate.

Barely a week after getting the work permit, on Aug 2nd, I was informed by email of a "Final Determination Interview" with CIC Calgary. I believe this is effectively a landing appointment. However, this comes almost 6 months earlier than we were expecting, which is great but also makes me nervous that something is wrong. I also have a trip home (outside Canada) planned 16 days after the appointment, and the time estimate for getting a PR card is 13 days, meaning there is a big risk I won't get it in time for the trip.

So getting to my point, 1) is it normal to get a final determination interview for PR just 6 months after applying? 2) Is my temporary residence (work permit) still valid after the final determination is made on PR? 3) Would I be able to travel using my work permit, in the case that I do the interview, but my PR card does not arrive in time for the trip? 4) Given my situation should I try and reschedule the interview?

Thanks everyone! Any input is appreciated. I will continue to share my experience and outcome with the forum so that others can benefit.
Hi
Yes , some application finish before 6 month , I am Feb 1 and my landing interview was Jul 30 , totally was 6 months .

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello all,

1. Yes, it happens.

2. No.

3. No.

4. There is no guarantee that your PR card would arrive in that short window. It may arrive while you are on holiday and you could have someone mail it to you. Or if you will be in your home country for at least a month, you can apply for a PRTD. If you are comfortable risking it, complete the landing. If not, delay until you return.

Or if you are American, go ahead and land because you can return to Canada without issue using an American passport.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,
I am in the same situation. I just got the final determination interview date as well.
It's not unusual to have the PR application process to take well under 12 months. Others I know -mostly from the US -got the PR interview request at about the 5-6 month mark. I was still surprised by this and had no idea about the determination interview, so we went ahead and booked our honeymoon.

This is where I am now and what I know about your WP questions:

1. A colleague just called me and said that at her husbands determination interview a few weeks ago, he was told he could not leave Canada until he received the PR card. I can't get a consistent answer from anyone about WHY this is and he didn't ask why at the interview because he isn't planning on traveling.

2. SO, hearing this and since the the interview appointment email says: "If you cannot attend this interview and/or have pre-booked travels outside of Canada within 30 days following your final determination for permanent residence interview, please email WST-Landing-Enquiries@cic.gc.ca".

I emailed them about my travel plans I instantly got an automated message that, in a nutshell, said if I requested a date change they would automatically send me the new date ( anywhere between 2-3 months from the original date!!) I didn't actually request a date change just request for information. But my guess is that if you email them it is an automatic request to change the date no matter what.
While super annoying and adding more time, it's not too bad, since I already have my work permit and that's most important.

3. You cannot use your work permit as a Canada travel document. You are still considered a temporary resident and every time you leave and re-enter Canada by air or land you are still subject to immigration and customs processing-- i.e they can still deny you entry if they find reason to even if you have a WP.

4. Once you have PR, I am of the understanding you no longer need a separate work permit since PR covers that already. I am NOT totally clear on what , if anything, you have to do with your open work permit- you may have to let cic know your change in " status "...don't know for sure.. I think this can be answered by the interviewer for you.

Final thought: Maybe it's possible they they flag your passport after your interview as a "PR pending", and since you need your actual PR card to re-enter Canada by air or land then you can't travel? I have no idea. Maybe they consider leaving Canada after the interview to mean you really are not committed to being a PR ?

I kinda wish I hadn't even sent the email and just went to the interview. We might just show up for the interview next week anyway and see what happens...

Good luck!!
It is perfectly fine to leave Canada after landing as a PR. The issue is that to board a commercial carrier to return to Canada, you must have a PR card or a PRTD.

You don't have to do anything with a work permit after landing. You certainly don't have to tell IRCC about your status change, as they are the ones who process your status change.

Mnl

Sep 26, 2019
Hi,

I have received a letter from CIC stating that my final determination for permanent residence interview has been scheduled.

Questions:
1. Is this the landing interview? Or a relationship interview since I am being sponsored by my common law partner?
2. What is the chance of refusal at this point?

Thank you so much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I have received a letter from CIC stating that my final determination for permanent residence interview has been scheduled.

Questions:
1. Is this the landing interview? Or a relationship interview since I am being sponsored by my common law partner?
2. What is the chance of refusal at this point?

Thank you so much!
1. Landing interview.

2. Unless IRCC comes to believe in the interview that you have ended the relationship or aren't living together, you've been approved.

Reactions: Mnl