+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice needed - would a lawyer be worthwhile?

stormageddon

Jul 13, 2020
Hi all,

I am preparing the paperwork to sponsor my boyfriend outland from the US (we are both living in USA, I am a Canadian citizen)
I moved in with him in mid April 2019. We have been living to together since then, however he had to go to an inpatient mental health treatment center in a different city for 6 weeks, starting the beginning of April 2020. Therefore he was away for the last 2 weeks of our first year living together. It was for medical reasons, therefore do you think this would affect our common law status? Should I get a lawyer to ask this question? I know we are not supposed to not disclose everything, but can we not mention it? However, if we don't mention it I am afraid the question of mental health may be brought up in his medical exam and lead to further questioning about treatment, in which case it would be unwise to lie. (his mental health is not violent nor would cause harm to Canadian society)

Any advice is appreciated
Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I am preparing the paperwork to sponsor my boyfriend outland from the US (we are both living in USA, I am a Canadian citizen)
I moved in with him in mid April 2019. We have been living to together since then, however he had to go to an inpatient mental health treatment center in a different city for 6 weeks, starting the beginning of April 2020. Therefore he was away for the last 2 weeks of our first year living together. It was for medical reasons, therefore do you think this would affect our common law status? Should I get a lawyer to ask this question? I know we are not supposed to not disclose everything, but can we not mention it? However, if we don't mention it I am afraid the question of mental health may be brought up in his medical exam and lead to further questioning about treatment, in which case it would be unwise to lie. (his mental health is not violent nor would cause harm to Canadian society)

Any advice is appreciated
Thanks!
Generally speaking anything above three weeks is classified as a break in continuous cohabitation. The reason for the break generally doesn't matter.

If you fail to mention he was away for 6 weeks, you are risking a misrepresentation finding which can result in a 5 year ban from Canada. Not sure I would do that. Sure, there's certainly a chance IRCC might not find out. But if they do the outcome could be very costly.

It's really hard to say how the officer will assess the fact you are short 2 weeks. Generally the full year is a hard / fast rule.

Any chance you would consider getting married? That would solve everything.

stormageddon

Jul 13, 2020
Generally speaking anything above three weeks is classified as a break in continuous cohabitation. The reason for the break generally doesn't matter.

If you fail to mention he was away for 6 weeks, you are risking a misrepresentation finding which can result in a 5 year ban from Canada. Not sure I would do that. Sure, there's certainly a chance IRCC might not find out. But if they do the outcome could be very costly.

It's really hard to say how the officer will assess the fact you are short 2 weeks. Generally the full year is a hard / fast rule.

Any chance you would consider getting married? That would solve everything.
Thanks for this. I wasn't sure what counted as a meaningful time apart since the Canada gov website does not specify.
Ideally we would prefer to get married on our own schedule and not be forced to early for immigration. If we get rejected for common law is there any sort of penalty or extra scrutiny for getting married and re-applying?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for this. I wasn't sure what counted as a meaningful time apart since the Canada gov website does not specify.
Ideally we would prefer to get married on our own schedule and not be forced to early for immigration. If we get rejected for common law is there any sort of penalty or extra scrutiny for getting married and re-applying?
There will be no penalty or extra scrutiny. However you'll need to reapply from scratch.

ryester

Champion Member
Oct 11, 2018
yes, you get the most severe penalty - time, you lose your time and restart all over again.

Reactions: Alexn

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
You're not being forced to marry for immigration. You are getting married because you want to be together and marriage is probably the only way you will be able to do that.