+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

[Advice needed] Visitor Visa Application Refusal for mother and brother

yeosol

Nov 25, 2021
Dear All,

I applied temporary visitor visa for my mom(widow) and my youngest brother(21 years old student, as a dependent). They live in Turkey.

Purpose of visit: I am married and we are expecting our first baby in March 2022 and I want my mom to visit us for 4-5 months and help us before and after birth.

Some things to consider:
  • I got my PR in Feb 2020 as a refugee and sponsored my wife last year for her PR.
  • I included doctor report stating birth date and that help of a family member would be great etc.
  • My mom and brother has no travel history.
  • I bought their round trip non refundable flight tickets already which was included in application.
  • I and my wife wrote invitation and financial letters for them.

I got refusal letter today saying followings:
I am refusing your application on the following grounds:
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary
resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your family ties in Canada and
in your country of residence.
• I am not satisfied that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary
resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on the purpose of your visit.
resident, as stipulated in paragraph 179(b) of the IRPR, based on your travel history.

I have not seen my mom and brother since Feb 2018 and I can not go back Turkey because of personal concerns but I did not include this in the application.
I am planning to apply again only for my mom, so that she will have an obvious reason to return back to her country for my brother. What do you think ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All,

I applied temporary visitor visa for my mom(widow) and my youngest brother(21 years old student, as a dependent). They live in Turkey.

Purpose of visit: I am married and we are expecting our first baby in March 2022 and I want my mom to visit us for 4-5 months and help us before and after birth.

Some things to consider:
  • I got my PR in Feb 2020 as a refugee and sponsored my wife last year for her PR.
  • I included doctor report stating birth date and that help of a family member would be great etc.
  • I bought their round trip non refundable flight tickets already which was included in application.

I have not seen my mom and brother since Feb 2018 and I can not go back Turkey because of personal concerns but I did not include this in the application.
I am planning to apply again only for my mom, so that she will have an obvious reason to return back to her country for my brother. What do you think ?
Would suggest applying for GCMS notes for more detailed reasons for refusal. If your mother reapplies I would suggest applying alone and not with your brother. Having your brother remain in Turkey creates more ties to Turkey. Unfortunately if you claim asylum it can be quite difficult for family members to get TRVs if they could also have the same grounds for asylum. Did your brother also ask to remain for 4-5 months? Does your mother own property? How much ds a IMGs did she show? It’s unfortunate that you purchased tickets. On the visa application it discourages people from purchasing tickets until you know you are approved.

leaf777

Aug 30, 2021
Dear All,

Some things to consider:

purpose of visit - inviting parents to "help" or assist with births is an automatic red flag because it implies that your mom will be doing "work" (assisting with childbirth that a midwife or a caregiver can do) illegally. VO is thinking that your mom might take away actual work that a canadian can do. you shouldve just said that your mom is visiting to meet your kid. also 4 - 5 months is too long for a first visit visa. you shouldve just asked for 2-3 weeks, especially since your mom is going to be a financial burden to you as a canadian citizen.