+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice Needed Urgently: Name Change During Citizenship

PolishGuy

Apr 22, 2018
Hi All,

This is my first time posting and I am happy that I've found this forum dedicated to Canadian Citizenship.

I am here with a complex question and to preface, I am aware that this is a very convoluted and unique case and the best option here is to consult a lawyer about a case this personal.

However, I am here just to get preliminary opinions on if this is even worth considering as an option. So, do not worry, I understand all your opinions are not professional and will not base my decisions entirely upon them.

From my research, the process of name changes, in regards to CIC purposes is the following:

1) Legal name change in BC (my province) and obtain a name change certificate.
2) Send the legal name change certificate and a new citizenship certificate application to CIC.
3) Obtain a new citizenship certificate.
4) Use said citizenship certificate to apply for an updated passport.

Here are the facts of the case:

1) I have a pending citizenship application that is currently DM status. I am hoping for an Oath Invite in the next 2-4 weeks (approximated based on the tracking sheet data), and another 4 weeks (Vancouver has been very consistent with the 4-week notice) for taking the actual oath. So, if everything goes well (and I am aware it does not always do so), I will have citizenship in around 8 weeks.

2) I want to apply for a legal name change because my current name is in the language of my native country, and very difficult for others to pronounce. I have an Anglophone name that I have been using for the last six years in Canada, and it gets tedious to clarify between legal and preferred name. In BC, the processing of name changes is around 4-6 weeks, after which, I will receive a name change certificate.

3) I am leaving Canada for an internship abroad in around August and would like to get this process done before I leave, since I would not know for sure when I will return.

What I am trying to see if it is feasible:

1) Apply for a name change right now, obtain it in maximum six weeks.
2) Take the citizenship oath and obtain citizenship certificate in my old name (name on application) after I have changed my name.
3) Obtain a passport ASAP in the old name, as I need to leave before August.
4) Send application for a new citizenship certificate.
5) Apply for a new passport once I have the certificate updated.

(I have no problem with steps 4 and 5 taking place when I am not physically in Canada)

Here is my question, if everything goes according to plan:

1) If it is a misrepresentation for me to have changed my name before I took my oath in my previous name.

2) If it is misrepresentation if I have legally changed my name and travel with a passport that does not reflect that name change (since I will first have to obtain an updated certificate of citizenship before applying for the passport). However, this is commonplace since anyone who changes their name goes through the same process to obtain a new passport.

You might be asking, why go through all this trouble? Just do it after you have citizenship! I agree with that sentiment but I have summer travel plans as well and my past experience has taught me, with bureaucracy and paper works, it is best to apply as early as you can (to account for unforeseeable delays).

Any input, opinions, advice, stories will be welcomed.
Thanks so much!

last_try

Feb 14, 2017
I have the same situation and thinking about doing what you have advised.. any latest updates on it.. is it allowed?