+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice needed - regular visits to canada for one year...?

Mutley

Aug 24, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I wonder if anyone could help or point me in the right direction for advice.

I am a British citizen but work in Asia for six weeks at a time followed by six weeks off. I would like to experience living in Canada for a while and wish to spend my six weeks off renting an apartment in Canada and also travelling the country. I would like to do this for a year....so four visits each of six weeks (or sometimes five) with six/seven weeks away back in Asia. This would keep me under the six month limit but my concern is that it may look suspect to immigration officials. Also it would be bad if I rent a holiday apartment only to not be let in to use it!

I can get documentation from my employer showing that I do indeed work these patterns and would be getting return tickets each time. I would be putting money into the canadian economy and I have full private health care so it seems a shame if I were to be stopped doing this.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or how I should go about it?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The short answer is that you should be fine since you hold a UK passport. Having said that, you are not allowed to "live" in Canada as a visitor (so avoid using that word when you speak with immigration). And there is always some chance (no matter how small) that immigration could refuse you entry into Canada (or only allow you in for a very short visit) if they feel you are abusing your visitor priviledges. Make sure you carry proof of your job outside of Canada and always have a return flight booked. Again, you should be fine - but there are no guarantees.

Mutley

Aug 24, 2014
Hi Scylla,

Thank you for your quick response. That is encouraging to hear. I've tried to look online for my type of circumstance but without success so was really unsure how it might go.

I shall use the word 'experience' rather than live!

Thanks again for your thoughts.
:)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
One other thing I will add is that I would certainly avoid mentioning the fact that you have rented a property in Canada. This could very well be perceived as the behaviour of someone who is trying to live in Canada without authorization.

ferda

Mar 18, 2015
Hi, this website is useful for UK citizens gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/canada/entry-requirements There is one point on there that says “When you arrive you will need to be able to show that you have enough funds available to support yourself during your stay” so keep this in mind – you can take bank statements, etc. And always be ready to show you return ticket. You could also contact the Canadian High Commission canadainternational.gc.ca/united_kingdom-royaume_uni/visa.aspx?lang=eng if you are still concerned but I think you don’t have anything to worry about.