+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice Needed: Job Hunting in Canada with a Working Holiday Visa

Victoria Dunn

Mar 5, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of obtaining my Working Holiday visa for Canada and am facing some challenges in securing a job as a front-end developer before my departure. Although I haven't received my visa confirmation yet, it seems likely once a pending request is resolved.

With 3 years of experience in front-end development, I've been actively sending out my resume to potential employers in Canada while still based in South Korea. However, I'm finding it nearly impossible to get any responses. I've made it clear in my applications that I'm planning to relocate to Canada, but my current Korean address and phone number seem to be significant hurdles.

Is it advisable to wait until I'm in Canada to start the job hunt, or is there a better strategy I could use from abroad? Any advice or tips from those who have navigated this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of obtaining my Working Holiday visa for Canada and am facing some challenges in securing a job as a front-end developer before my departure. Although I haven't received my visa confirmation yet, it seems likely once a pending request is resolved.

With 3 years of experience in front-end development, I've been actively sending out my resume to potential employers in Canada while still based in South Korea. However, I'm finding it nearly impossible to get any responses. I've made it clear in my applications that I'm planning to relocate to Canada, but my current Korean address and phone number seem to be significant hurdles.

Is it advisable to wait until I'm in Canada to start the job hunt, or is there a better strategy I could use from abroad? Any advice or tips from those who have navigated this process would be greatly appreciated.

You will need to wait and apply once you have work authorization. Without a work permit, you will not get any interviews.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

Would suggest getting a Canadian phone number and if you are able to use a Candian address if you have family or friends in Canada that would be very helpful. If not I would consider renting a mailbox. Most employers will have screening tools to eliminate all candidates outside Canada. There have been some significant layoffs in tech over the past 12 months and many employers are no hiring at the moment. In general the economy in Canada is not great so that may also be leading to difficulties finding employment. I would try and reach out to any of your contacts to see if they have any contacts in your field in Canada. Getting an interview is often the hardest part of securing a job. Would also not limit your application to a specific city. If anything, smaller cities may provide better opportunities versus the GTA for example.

Reactions: M Faizan Ali

M Faizan Ali

Mar 10, 2024
I work remotely (live outside Canada) as a contractor for a canadian company for over a year , how to get benefit of this in my imagination process and application.