+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice needed. Inland vs Outland application - India

avantikag

Sep 23, 2020
My partner is a permanent resident of Canada since 2019 and I am in Indian citizen. We wanted to get married this year, but all plans had to be shelved because of the pandemic. We have decided to postpone getting married to June 2021 since I will be completing my studies (working degree), and hopefully, he will be able to travel to India for the civil marriage after lifting of travel restrictions.

We have been together for 4 years, however, most of it was long-distance relationship since he was working in the Gulf before moving to Canada. And we won't be having a traditional Indian wedding ceremony since we belong to different religions and neither of us wish to convert to the other's religion. Also, his trip to India next year will be for a very short period of time, 2 weeks or less perhaps, with neither of our families being present and we may not be able to take a trip soon after due to financial and time constraints. After reading several threads here on the forum, I've realised that we may have difficulties in proving that our marriage will be genuine and that might cause further delay in case we proceed with an outland application. We only waited to get married till he had a permanent job in Canada and I had neared the completion of my degree.

After a copious amount of research, I have realised that we may have to make an Inland spousal sponsorship application to reduce the number of months we may have to live separately. I have chalked out a possible plan for us. It would be really helpful if It would mean a lot if anyone can suggest better options or point out loopholes that I may have missed regarding the outlined plan of action. I am quite unsure regarding the process since no one known to me has submitted an inland application previously.
I apply for a visitor visa before we get married, since I will still have a job and ongoing degree till June 2021 to prove strong ties back to India. In case it gets approved, we then have a civil marriage here, and register the marriage by second half of 2021.
I will travel to Canada say, by the end of 2021 after my convocation ceremony - (I am assuming that it's possible since I've read that Canada has started issuing only multiple entry visitor visas?. we can have a small party there and we will proceed with an Inland spousal visa application while I am living with him, and we can apply for a visitor record and open work permit subsequently.

I have a few concerns regarding this approach.
1. Will it raise any red flags with the authorities since there will be a change in status from single to married by the time I actually travel to Canada on the visitor visa? Also, if I decide to add his name as my spouse on my passport, I will have to travel with my old passport which has the visitor visa stamped on it, and the renewed one where I mention him as my spouse.
2. Will we still have issues trying to prove that ours won't be a marriage of convenience? In that case, can anyone recommend what needs to be done since we won't be able to own a property or produce utility bills with both our names since I will be on a visitor visa, or have a religious ceremony/reception party.
3. Or should we just risk submitting an outland application and see if it works out?

Thank you for taking out the time to read. Apologies about the long question.

Last edited:

harind17

Star Member
Aug 29, 2019
My partner is a permanent resident of Canada since 2019 and I am in Indian citizen. We wanted to get married this year, but all plans had to be shelved because of the pandemic. We have decided to postpone getting married to June 2021 since I will be completing my studies (working degree), and hopefully, he will be able to travel to India for the civil marriage after lifting of travel restrictions.

We have been together for 4 years, however, most of it was long-distance relationship since he was working in the Gulf before moving to Canada. And we won't be having a traditional Indian wedding ceremony since we belong to different religions and neither of us wish to convert to the other's religion. Also, his trip to India next year will be for a very short period of time, 2 weeks or less perhaps, with neither of our families being present and we may not be able to take a trip soon after due to financial and time constraints. After reading several threads here on the forum, I've realised that we may have difficulties in proving that our marriage will be genuine and that might cause further delay in case we proceed with an outland application. We only waited to get married till he had a permanent job in Canada and I had neared the completion of my degree.

After a copious amount of research, I have realised that we may have to make an Inland spousal sponsorship application to reduce the number of months we may have to live separately. I have chalked out a possible plan for us. It would be really helpful if It would mean a lot if anyone can suggest better options or point out loopholes that I may have missed regarding the outlined plan of action. I am quite unsure regarding the process since no one known to me has submitted an inland application previously.
I apply for a visitor visa before we get married, since I will still have a job and ongoing degree till June 2021 to prove strong ties back to India. In case it gets approved, we then have a civil marriage here, and register the marriage by second half of 2021.
I will travel to Canada say, by the end of 2021 after my convocation ceremony - (I am assuming that it's possible since I've read that Canada has started issuing only multiple entry visitor visas?. we can have a small party there and we will proceed with an Inland spousal visa application while I am living with him, and we can apply for a visitor record and open work permit subsequently.

I have a few concerns regarding this approach.
1. Will it raise any red flags with the authorities since there will be a change in status from single to married by the time I actually travel to Canada on the visitor visa? Also, if I decide to add his name as my spouse on my passport, I will have to travel with my old passport which has the visitor visa stamped on it, and the renewed one where I mention him as my spouse.
2. Will we still have issues trying to prove that ours won't be a marriage of convenience? In that case, can anyone recommend what needs to be done since we won't be able to own a property or produce utility bills with both our names since I will be on a visitor visa, or have a religious ceremony/reception party.
3. Or should we just risk submitting an outland application and see if it works out?

Thank you for taking out the time to read. Apologies about the long question.
Chances of getting a visitor visa are much much higher if you apply before marriage. Irrespective of inland or outland, you will have to prove that your relationship is genuine. There are many people who don't have big weddings and have been approved. You being from India, where big weddings are more common, you will have to gather as many other proofs as you can - communication proofs, pics from trips together, letters from family/friends, financial support, etc. Inland and outland applications ask for different proofs, so you will need to go through the checklist and decide which way you want to go.

Regarding your questions -
1. It shouldn't be a problem travelling with a 'valid' visa on old passport as long as you have a new passport with you when you travel.
2. You don't necessarily need to own a property. As a visitor, you can add your name to the lease if your husband is renting, add your name to utility bills, open a bank account etc.
3. It is completely your wish and decision. As I said, you have to prove the relationship is genuine in either case.