+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice Needed: Entering Canada on a Travel Visa During PR Application Process (Family Class Common-Law Sponsorship)

Andelu

Jan 13, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm in a situation where I'm currently applying for Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada and need some advice. My application is for the Family Class Common-Law Sponsorship, and it was submitted from outside Canada. The application is currently in the stages of eligibility and background checks.

Here's my main question: Is it possible for me to enter Canada using a travel visa during this period, and then switch to an in-Canada application? I have a valid travel visa, but I'm unsure of the rules and implications regarding entering Canada while my PR application is under review.

Additionally, I'm concerned about how to approach the situation upon entering Canada:

• Should I declare that I am visiting for tourism purposes, or should I mention that I'm entering to wait for my PR decision?
  • If I don't provide accurate information upon entry, and this is discovered later, could it lead to deportation or affect my PR application?
Thank you all in advance for your help and support!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I'm in a situation where I'm currently applying for Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada and need some advice. My application is for the Family Class Common-Law Sponsorship, and it was submitted from outside Canada. The application is currently in the stages of eligibility and background checks.

Here's my main question: Is it possible for me to enter Canada using a travel visa during this period, and then switch to an in-Canada application? I have a valid travel visa, but I'm unsure of the rules and implications regarding entering Canada while my PR application is under review.

Additionally, I'm concerned about how to approach the situation upon entering Canada:

• Should I declare that I am visiting for tourism purposes, or should I mention that I'm entering to wait for my PR decision?
  • If I don't provide accurate information upon entry, and this is discovered later, could it lead to deportation or affect my PR application?
Why don't you apply for a visa first?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

-You can't 'switch it to an in-Canada app'. But for most practical purposes now, there is no need to, either. You can advise IRCC of change in address and 'land' virtually (will not need to leave Canada to become a PR). After you get AOR, you can apply for the Open Work Permit like inland. (I think the only remaining difference is that hypothetically you'd have to go to country of origin for an interview - but only if interview is required, which is a small percentage of all outland apps, and some of them can be done virtually; oh, and as outland, you do not have to reside with your spouse and can leave the country if you like without risk).

-Don't arrive with all your belongings. You are better to declare that you're arriving for a visit and will leave when required. If asked, of course, acknowledge your spousal app; you might stay without returning if your PR app is approved in time but will leave when required.

You are allowed to enter with more than one reason. The key is not looking like you will never leave (eg arrive looking like it's a visit), and being convincing about leaving when required.

Reactions: Andelu

Andelu

Jan 13, 2024
-You can't 'switch it to an in-Canada app'. But for most practical purposes now, there is no need to, either. You can advise IRCC of change in address and 'land' virtually (will not need to leave Canada to become a PR). After you get AOR, you can apply for the Open Work Permit like inland. (I think the only remaining difference is that hypothetically you'd have to go to country of origin for an interview - but only if interview is required, which is a small percentage of all outland apps, and some of them can be done virtually; oh, and as outland, you do not have to reside with your spouse and can leave the country if you like without risk).

-Don't arrive with all your belongings. You are better to declare that you're arriving for a visit and will leave when required. If asked, of course, acknowledge your spousal app; you might stay without returning if your PR app is approved in time but will leave when required.

You are allowed to enter with more than one reason. The key is not looking like you will never leave (eg arrive looking like it's a visit), and being convincing about leaving when required.
Thank you for your clear and helpful advice.