+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice Needed - Discrepancies with previously submitted paperwork

loeleo

Jan 15, 2019
Hello,

My husband (PA, Japanese) and I are working on his in-land application and we've encountered an issue that I'm hoping someone can advise us on.

Two years ago he was living in Canada with a working holiday visa. Before that visa expired he applied for a work permit that was eventually denied, at which point he left Canada (now he is back 2 years later as a visitor). His English was not very proficient back then and a Japanese immigration lawyer helped him with his paperwork (at no cost) for his work permit application. We have a copy of that application that was submitted, but a bunch of the information about his history is not correct.

Some of the errors include:
- His years of post-secondary schooling were submitted as 2 instead of 3
- The name (a translation from Japanese) of his post secondary school is not accurate, or at least not the way in which we would have translated it
- The titles for his different occupations in his work history are not accurate

We're really unsure of how to proceed now with his personal history in his sponsorship application. We intend to list everything truthfully and accurately, but we're worried that the discrepancies might be flagged.

Should we fill out everything accurately and then provide explanation for why it's different from his previous work permit application? I'm not sure how we would explain that....
Or should we just fill everything accurately and only explain if asked?

Grateful for any assistance here!!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Explain up front. Don't make them ask you for an explanation of why things are different - if they do that, they're ready to reject the application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

My husband (PA, Japanese) and I are working on his in-land application and we've encountered an issue that I'm hoping someone can advise us on.

Two years ago he was living in Canada with a working holiday visa. Before that visa expired he applied for a work permit that was eventually denied, at which point he left Canada (now he is back 2 years later as a visitor). His English was not very proficient back then and a Japanese immigration lawyer helped him with his paperwork (at no cost) for his work permit application. We have a copy of that application that was submitted, but a bunch of the information about his history is not correct.

Some of the errors include:
- His years of post-secondary schooling were submitted as 2 instead of 3
- The name (a translation from Japanese) of his post secondary school is not accurate, or at least not the way in which we would have translated it
- The titles for his different occupations in his work history are not accurate

We're really unsure of how to proceed now with his personal history in his sponsorship application. We intend to list everything truthfully and accurately, but we're worried that the discrepancies might be flagged.

Should we fill out everything accurately and then provide explanation for why it's different from his previous work permit application? I'm not sure how we would explain that....
Or should we just fill everything accurately and only explain if asked?

Grateful for any assistance here!!
None of that is an issue for the PR app. Just explain that the immigration lawyer made some mistakes in the work permit app.