+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for sponsoring my wife from US

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
Hello, I am looking for some advice based on my current situation sponsoring my wife to Canada.

I am a Canadian citizen, sponsoring my wife who is a US citizen. My wife has been in Canada since February 15 2020. Her Work/holiday visa expires in nine days. A month ago we applied for an extension of her visa to stay as a visitor for another six months, because we did not want to rush our applications for Canadian citizenship.

Our wedding was in January which was a lot later than we had hoped, but a combination of finances and changes to our venue made it the only viable time to do it.

We began completing the spousal sponsorship forms about a week ago, and we knew this would be close to when her work visa expires, this is why we applied for the extension of her current visa.

What we are concerned about is her extension getting denied. She is willing to fly home (obviously), but we are really trying to avoid it with the covid situation (she has an immunodeficiency disorder) since flying is kind of risky.

Should we aim to send our sponsorship application in before her current work visa expires(Feb 15), so that in case her extension is denied(decision on Feb 24), she would still be on implied status while we await a decision on the sponsorship application? Is this legal?

We really aren't the best at this process and just trying to see if anyone can weigh in with some advice, thank you in advance for any information that you can provide

bian07

May 19, 2017
The decision on the visitor record will take longer than 1 month, she will have implied status from that until a decision is made on it.

If you have all the documents ready, like marriage certificate etc, then you could apply before her current status ends. She would only get implied status like this if she also applies for an open work permit though.

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
The decision on the visitor record will take longer than 1 month, she will have implied status from that until a decision is made on it.

If you have all the documents ready, like marriage certificate etc, then you could apply before her current status ends. She would only get implied status like this if she also applies for an open work permit though.
Sorry for the late reply, okay thank you for clarifying that. I think we will indeed have everything ready to send prior to her visa expiring, our marriage certificate is meant to arrive on Monday thankfully..

Thank you again for your help, cheers

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Sorry for the late reply, okay thank you for clarifying that. I think we will indeed have everything ready to send prior to her visa expiring, our marriage certificate is meant to arrive on Monday thankfully..

Thank you again for your help, cheers
While you want to get it submitted ASAP go over your app thoroughly a few time, make sure all the signatures are there, one of the big reasons apps get returned.

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
While you want to get it submitted ASAP go over your app thoroughly a few time, make sure all the signatures are there, one of the big reasons apps get returned.
Thank you for that advice, I've heard that applications get returned for just small things missing so we will definitely triple check everything..

We are completing the application online with Adobe acrobat, and then printing and doing signatures in pen, do you think that's okay?

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Thank you for that advice, I've heard that applications get returned for just small things missing so we will definitely triple check everything..

We are completing the application online with Adobe acrobat, and then printing and doing signatures in pen, do you think that's okay?
Yes that's fine but take note that on one the forms it asks for an electronic signature as well.

Reactions: OrangeMapleIsHome

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

In fact I would say for all applications submitted in paper form, you MUST sign everywhere in pen, even if the form implies electronic is sufficient - it's not. (The same forms are also used for electronic submissions)

Reactions: OrangeMapleIsHome

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
In fact I would say for all applications submitted in paper form, you MUST sign everywhere in pen, even if the form implies electronic is sufficient - it's not. (The same forms are also used for electronic submissions)
Oh okay, so filling in all of the information via computer, and then signatures in pen, even if it asks for an electronic signature?