+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for "engineers" applying to Professional Engineers Ontario for P.Eng.

m111

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
So what is your advise?
Shall I take my chances in applying to PEO?
Did anyone did the exercise to determine the least headache center to apply to?
I have landed in Toronto last month(short landing), and I am preparing my papers for engineer-in-training or P.Eng.

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
m111 said:
So what is your advise?
Shall I take my chances in applying to PEO?
Did anyone did the exercise to determine the least headache center to apply to?
I have landed in Toronto last month(short landing), and I am preparing my papers for engineer-in-training or P.Eng.
Some other newcomers are mentioning that APEGS (Saskatchewan) is more friendly for engineers with foreign experience in excess of 5 years. I don't know the details, but would recommend you research into it before deciding. As far as I know, PEO is more stringent than others.

For the poster asking about writing exams for other jurisdictions: I wrote my exam for APEGA in Toronto. I just informed the APEGA office when applying that I plan on writing the exam in Toronto, and they made the arrangements at their end.

m111

Star Member
Nov 22, 2014
Did anyone consider joing PEng USA then shifting to PEng Canada?
Is it a smart think to do? Is it even acceptable?

maged_mmh

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2015
Nomination.....
11-2016
AOR Received.
6-12-2016
Med's Done....
16-12-2016
divyangpatel said:
As per above posts, we can apply for P.engg to any province.

I am landing in Toronto in February 2016. New immigrants can register in PEO free of cost provided they apply within 6 months of landing. Now, my question is if we apply in other province and suppose they assign some exam then how can we manage to appear for exam while doing job in Toronto?

I did Engineering (Electrical) from India.

Can anybody guide on this.....
I'm from Egypt, but I find it ridiculous that the graduates of schools of B.L. Theraja need licenses especially in electrical engineering!

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
m111 said:
Did anyone consider joing PEng USA then shifting to PEng Canada?
Is it a smart think to do? Is it even acceptable?
That's not very practical, especially if one is not in the US (where it's called PE and not P.Eng). Probably the only state for which you could do this would be Texas - and you can't become a PE in Texas unless you are working over there.

Also worth noting: the Professional Practice Exam (PPE) is an 8-hour exam consisting of two components of 4 hours each. The first component is general engineering and the second component is discipline specific (mechanical, chemical etc). At least with the P.Eng, if your degree evaluation comes back "positive", you only have to write the ethics exam. In the case of PE, you will have to recall a lot of long-forgotten information.

I am a bit hazy on specific requirements for US licensing requirements, so if someone feels this is incorrect, then please provide the relevant info.

20Josh16

Jan 12, 2016
I got my bachelors in chemical engineering from China and I have Ph.D. in materials science and engineering from USA. I have been working in Canada for about 5 years in engineering projects. Now I want to get P.Eng and I applied. They asked which discipline I want to be assessed under (chemical engineering or materials engineering). Does anyone know which discipline I should choose? P.Eng is assessed based on bachelors degree but I specialized in materials engineering. I just want to select the simplest method.

Mohtasim

Star Member
Jul 23, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-10-2010
Doc's Request.
n/a
Nomination.....
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
18-11-2011
IELTS Request
Already done
Med's Request
26-April-2012
Med's Done....
21-May-2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
11-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
25-09-2012
LANDED..........
23-04-2013
I provide services to new internationally educated engineers for National Exam of any Provincial Engineering Society such as PEO, APEGM, APEGS and APEGA etc. We can provide solutions of previous exams from 2008 and onward and online tutoring. For the following EXAMS
-A5 Hydraulics
-A3 Municipal Engineering
-A3 Environmental Engineering
-B4 Engineering Hydrology
-B8 Management of Construction
and I can also provide solutions on request for other exams like
04-Env-A2 Hydrology and Municipal Hydraulic Engineering
04-Geol- A2 Hydrogeology
04-For-A5, Forestry Hydrology
07--Str-B11 Hydraulic Engineering
Please contact for other exam solutions. (New exams will be added soon.)
Engineering technical discussion and explanation will be provided free.
You can email me at smmengineer@gmail.com or text me or call at 2045572401.
Visit our facebook page at
https://www.facebook.com/SMM-Engineering-Solutions-651351728300471
and LinkedIn page:
https://ca.linkedin.com/in/smm-engineering-833a9910b
You tube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys4P9-eBhmw
Please feel free to contact if you have any question, you will be welcomed.

hectortroy80

Star Member
Jul 4, 2014
Thanks for starting this post. I am planning to apply for P.Eng from NS does anyone here have any information or any advise for it.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Thanks

ymallick

Jun 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone know that after registering as EIT in any province for example Ontario ,the person has to work only in Ontario or can work anywhere in Canada to gain minimum 1 year Canadian work experience?

fdk511

Star Member
Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ymallick said:
Does anyone know that after registering as EIT in any province for example Ontario ,the person has to work only in Ontario or can work anywhere in Canada to gain minimum 1 year Canadian work experience?
You can work anywhere in Canada, as long as you are working under the guidance of a P.Eng who can attest to your experience and ability after a year.

Reactions: Anuketan

ymallick

Jun 28, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for the reply, where are you practicing as engineer in Canada?

sjh340

Feb 25, 2016
Hi everyone,

I recently graduated from the US and immigrated to Canada after graduation a few months back.

Using this post as the initial reference, advice from peers, and a gut feeling (based on PEO's tone of communication over several phone calls and emails which lives up to its unfriendly reputation towards grads across the border) I decided to register with APEGA for the EIT program.

Word of advice, APEGA will assign US graduates with the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FYI: it is now a single 6 hour exam and no longer has a general and specific format) however the exam itself is not very difficult and there are plenty of resources/books you can purchase [FE Mechanical Review Manual by Lindeburg, P.E. is the one I used]. Moreover, the exam was common to the EIT process in the state I graduated from and so may potentially open doors for professionals across the continent, so there is additional benefit in having passed the exam as a notch on your belt.

The question is: Once I am registered as an EIT in one province, will that translate to another? I know the P.Eng transfers over very easily across provinces, but I am not sure about the EIT.

I was told that the EIT stays with the province's organization but the designation until you become a PEng after which you can transfer over i.e. if you are an EIT with APEGA, you can apply for EIT jobs in Ontario, or any other province, until you accumulate enough experience for the P.Eng designation. So far, I have not come across a clear cut answer, either through the provinces' websites or through their person of contact.

If anyone knows about the transferability of the EIT designation, please let me know. Any advice, or thoughts, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: akshargajjar

ginna.p

Star Member
Feb 16, 2016
sjh340 said:
Hi everyone,

I recently graduated from the US and immigrated to Canada after graduation a few months back.

Using this post as the initial reference, advice from peers, and a gut feeling (based on PEO's tone of communication over several phone calls and emails which lives up to its unfriendly reputation towards grads across the border) I decided to register with APEGA for the EIT program.

Word of advice, APEGA will assign US graduates with the Fundamentals of Engineering Exam (FYI: it is now a single 6 hour exam and no longer has a general and specific format) however the exam itself is not very difficult and there are plenty of resources/books you can purchase [FE Mechanical Review Manual by Lindeburg, P.E. is the one I used]. Moreover, the exam was common to the EIT process in the state I graduated from and so may potentially open doors for professionals across the continent, so there is additional benefit in having passed the exam as a notch on your belt.

The question is: Once I am registered as an EIT in one province, will that translate to another? I know the P.Eng transfers over very easily across provinces, but I am not sure about the EIT.

I was told that the EIT stays with the province's organization but the designation until you become a PEng after which you can transfer over i.e. if you are an EIT with APEGA, you can apply for EIT jobs in Ontario, or any other province, until you accumulate enough experience for the P.Eng designation. So far, I have not come across a clear cut answer, either through the provinces' websites or through their person of contact.

If anyone knows about the transferability of the EIT designation, please let me know. Any advice, or thoughts, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great info guys!!!

I am planning on moving to Ontario (under provincial nomination). I also have an undergrad degree from the US and passed the FE exam.

Good to know that the US EIT is recognized by a Canadian licensing board.

Have you tried contacting PEO and see if your EIT from another province will be recognized in Ontario? Because in the US you can take your FE in any state and you can work as an EIT in any state.

I will try contacting PEO, see what they say, and keep you all posted!

Hope everything works out!

jez.s009

Oct 22, 2015
Folks,

I submitted application for P.Eng to APEGA for assessment and my reference check has been done.Anyone knows normally how much time board of examiner usually take for the decision?

Thanks

CVIF123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July4
File Transfer...
September 20th
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
november 10th 2015
jez.s009 said:
Folks,

I submitted application for P.Eng to APEGA for assessment and my reference check has been done.Anyone knows normally how much time board of examiner usually take for the decision?

Thanks
hi I also applied for APEGA , my reference check done but my education still shows transcripts not received as already sent by WES but not received by APEGA.. still waiting ...

Once all check done max it will take two months for board decision ..

did you wrote NPPE ??