+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advantage to Marrying in States or Canada?

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hi, folks. My son, an American, just did his soft landing as a PR last month. He will move permanently this summer to Canada and begin graduate school. He and his longterm girlfriend, an American, are now engaged. As for their marriage, they are flexible about getting married in either country. Would there be any advantage to getting married in Canada over the U.S.?

I understand that my son needs to be residing in Canada at the time of the sponsorship, but are there any other issues they should be aware of? They have been living together for 4 years already.

Thanks for your time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, folks. My son, an American, just did his soft landing as a PR last month. He will move permanently this summer to Canada and begin graduate school. He and his longterm girlfriend, an American, are now engaged. As for their marriage, they are flexible about getting married in either country. Would there be any advantage to getting married in Canada over the U.S.?

I understand that my son needs to be residing in Canada at the time of the sponsorship, but are there any other issues they should be aware of? They have been living together for 4 years already.

Thanks for your time.
From your previous posts, I'm going to go with the assumption that your son was included in your PR app as a dependent.

Based on that assumption, bad news. You committed misrepresentation in your PR app by including your son. As he had a common-law partner, he did NOT qualify as your dependent and was required to be removed from your app.

As a consequence of this misrepresentation, he will never be able to sponsor his partner. Getting married does not negate the fact that they were already common-law when he immigrated and she is therefore excluded from the Family Class.

If he applied independently for PR and was not your dependent, same result. He committed misrepresentation and she is still excluded.

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
No, he was a dependent and did not misrepresent anything. He's under 22 and a college student and completely supported by us. We did not misrepresent anything, and I really object to your tone. She was a college student as well, dependent on her parents who paid for everything. Essentially they were roommates at college in college housing.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

No, he was a dependent and did not misrepresent anything. He's under 22 and a college student and completely supported by us. We did not misrepresent anything, and I really object to your tone. She was a college student as well, dependent on her parents who paid for everything. Essentially they were roommates at college in college housing.
1. Don't get your dander up. The only question is whether they have lived together for 1 year or more. If not, there is no misrepresentation. If they, have then they have a real problem.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If they lived together for over a year before you sponsored him he didn’t qualify to be included in your application as a dependent.

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
If they lived together for over a year before you sponsored him he didn’t qualify to be included in your application as a dependent.
He was away at college living in a dormitory. That information was on his application. There were other students in the dormitory.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You did. You said that they lived together for 4 years. That means that they were common-law. The fact that he was under 22 and that they were financially dependent on parents didn't change that.

They will have to declare their address histories in a sponsorship app, so unless they plan on further committing fraud by listing different addresses, IRCC will see that they lived together for 4 years and were therefore common-law.

Reactions: canuck78

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
You did. You said that they lived together for 4 years. That means that they were common-law. The fact that he was under 22 and that they were financially dependent on parents didn't change that.

They will have to declare their address histories in a sponsorship app, so unless they plan on further committing fraud by listing different addresses, IRCC will see that they lived together for 4 years and were therefore common-law.
College roommates in college housing are not common law anything anywhere--or at least in the U.S. they aren't.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
College roommates in college housing are not common law anything anywhere--or at least in the U.S. they aren't.
You stated in your first post that they had been living together for 4 years. Staying in the same college dorm is not living together or being roommates, so better wording would have helped.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If they shared the same address in a shared apartment style dorm room while dating they may run into difficulty proving they aren’t common law.

Reactions: fjle

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Leaving aside the common law question, I don't think it makes much difference whether they get married in Canada or US. About the only issue would be whether notarised copies and apostilles or similar would be needed - you'd just have to check the requirements specific to US.
You will have to be careful about wording - while I'd agree many or most would not consider living in university dorms the same as common law, you may have to explain that. If the address is actually a university residence (dormitory), there may be some leeway.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
The only advantage to getting married in Canada is that you only need to supply photocopy of marriage certificate. Whereas you would need to certify the US marriage certificate (red seal) and other papers and costs if any required. Just more paperwork to deal with.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
The only advantage to getting married in Canada is that you only need to supply photocopy of marriage certificate. Whereas you would need to certify the US marriage certificate (red seal) and other papers and costs if any required. Just more paperwork to deal with.
My wife and I got married in the US. I'm pretty sure we just sent in a copy of the marriage certificate.

Note that this was 6 years ago so perhaps rules changed since then.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
My wife and I got married in the US. I'm pretty sure we just sent in a copy of the marriage certificate.

Note that this was 6 years ago so perhaps rules changed since then.
If you only supplied photocopy of your US marriage certificate then there is no advantage between Canada or US.