+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adult Child Sponsorship

Mar 9, 2021
Hello friends,
we are sponsoring my stepson who just turned 21. We came to Canada in 2014 and he was included in our PR application, he got his UCI # and did medical but as a minor did not come to Canada since he lived with his mother in Europe.
In 2022 he applied for a Work and Travel visa and received it with a work permit valid until Feb 2024. He arrived in Sept 2022 and has been working since. He decided that he wanted to stay so we just sponsored his PR application and submitted it in Jan 2024. He has gotten an email confirming the receipt of his application but no further info. We cannot check the status of the application online since he has not received an AOR yet so apart from USI he has no application number.

A few questions:

1. His work permit expires on Feb 5, 2024, does he need to extend it to be able to work? On the IRCC website, it says that the work permit remains valid for the duration of the application being processed. Does he need to apply for an official extension? Has anyone done it?

2. How long before we will be able to check the status of his application if the AOR may take months to be sent.

Thank you

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello friends,
we are sponsoring my stepson who just turned 21. We came to Canada in 2014 and he was included in our PR application, he got his UCI # and did medical but as a minor did not come to Canada since he lived with his mother in Europe.
In 2022 he applied for a Work and Travel visa and received it with a work permit valid until Feb 2024. He arrived in Sept 2022 and has been working since. He decided that he wanted to stay so we just sponsored his PR application and submitted it in Jan 2024. He has gotten an email confirming the receipt of his application but no further info. We cannot check the status of the application online since he has not received an AOR yet so apart from USI he has no application number.

A few questions:

1. His work permit expires on Feb 5, 2024, does he need to extend it to be able to work? On the IRCC website, it says that the work permit remains valid for the duration of the application being processed. Does he need to apply for an official extension? Has anyone done it?

2. How long before we will be able to check the status of his application if the AOR may take months to be sent.

Thank you
Don't have all the answers. But applying to be sponsored under family class do not give him any implied/maintiance status. So the statement about "remains valid for the duration of the application being processed" do not apply for sponsorship applicaiton. The "application" can be work permit extension or apply to extend his stay as visitor. I do not know what kind of work permit he is under and if that kind of permit can be extended (some work permits cannot be extended)

You cannot "check status" easily until the application get AOR (in the system) with application number. If he just turned 21, he still have about a year before he falls out of the requirement of being sponsored as dependent. So hopefully you get AOR soon.

I am not sure if he can apply for OWP once he get AOR. I am more familiar with spousal inland sponsorship. Not sure about dependents getting OWP under family class. I hope others can respond.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello friends,

A few questions:

Thank you
Is his WP IEC? That would impact the answer.