+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adoption of adult by Canadian

hellfishev

Jan 4, 2023
Hello, I have a unique situation: I'm 23 years old Ukrainian in Canada right now.

Canadian-born person (56 years old) who has been supporting me from 16 years old and financially from 17 years old. Therefore, we have all proofs that I have been supported by him throughout 6 years. Last year, I' moved to Canada and started living with him. He is not my biological father or relative, we met each other on Facebook, and so, we have a strong bond like father and son relationship in real life already. He was sponsoring my education in Ukraine, however, my biological father died when I was 14 years old. I have inquire: can he adopt me, though, we started connection when I was 16 years old and financial and psychological support from 17 years old within 6 years. Overall, he has sent to me over $55,000 CAD for all that time in Ukraine and we both have all receipts and props of this. Also, I don't have anymore safe place in Ukraine to live and have intentions to stay with him. I know, legally we can apply a request to the court, but will the court make our relationships official after 7 years of communication and supporting?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello, I have a unique situation: I'm 23 years old Ukrainian in Canada right now.

Canadian-born person (56 years old) who has been supporting me from 16 years old and financially from 17 years old. Therefore, we have all proofs that I have been supported by him throughout 6 years. Last year, I' moved to Canada and started living with him. He is not my biological father or relative, we met each other on Facebook, and so, we have a strong bond like father and son relationship in real life already. He was sponsoring my education in Ukraine, however, my biological father died when I was 14 years old. I have inquire: can he adopt me, though, we started connection when I was 16 years old and financial and psychological support from 17 years old within 6 years. Overall, he has sent to me over $55,000 CAD for all that time in Ukraine and we both have all receipts and props of this. Also, I don't have anymore safe place in Ukraine to live and have intentions to stay with him. I know, legally we can apply a request to the court, but will the court make our relationships official after 7 years of communication and supporting?
Agreed with the above. I don't think he can adopt you at this age. Even if he could, this won't give you any immigration benefit or allow you to remain in Canada permanently. If you want to remain in Canada permanently, you need to qualify and apply through one of the established immigration programs.

xaniluv

Jan 7, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have a younger sister that came to Canada on a visitor visa in 2021 at 16 years old. I have been taking care of her ever since. She is now 18 and we'd like to move in the direction to get her legal status? What are the options available to me? Adult Adoption? She has no skills so she cant apply through express entry. We can't afford university or college right now is there anyway to get her legal status here?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

I have a younger sister that came to Canada on a visitor visa in 2021 at 16 years old. I have been taking care of her ever since. She is now 18 and we'd like to move in the direction to get her legal status? What are the options available to me? Adult Adoption? She has no skills so she cant apply through express entry. We can't afford university or college right now is there anyway to get her legal status here?
Not possible for you to adopt or sponsor her unless you are single, have no children, both your parents are deceased and you have no other relatives in Canada. She will need to qualify on her own. Most realistic option is probably for her to qualify for a study permit and then complete a bachelor's degree in Canada, then look to work a few years to hopefully qualify to apply. If that's not affordable, I'm not sure what other options are really available. I assume she still has legal status in Canada and has been applying to extend her stay?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

Just to add, Canada does not recognize "adult adoptions".

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello Everyone,

Is she an orphan? If so waited too long. What is your status? Do you have no children, spouse, grandparents, parents? What has she been doing since age 16 in Canada? She will want to go to post secondary but will pay international fees.