Med's Done....
DM: 23-Nov-15
Passport Req..
01-Dec-2015 Passport submitted: 02-Dec-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-Dec-2015
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2015 :)
We are citizens of We are citizens of Canada, and recently, my wife's parents got the PR via the PGP program. My wife went to pick them up from Pakistan. However, tragedy striked, and she lost her youngest sister in a motorcycle accident.

Sister left behind a 2 year old son, who got really attached to my wife after her mother's demise.

We are now eagerly looking to adopt that child. His father is in agreement with this initiative. I see some really old archived IRCC articles (2013) that say that adoption is banned from Pakistan.

I am looking for a confirmation first, if adoption is possible and process of it. In addition, what other options are there in getting a kid to Canada? recently, my wife's parents got the PR via the PGP program. My wife went to pick them up from Pakistan. However, tragedy striked, and she lost her youngest sister in a motorcycle accident.

Sister left behind a 2 year old son, who got really attached to my wife after her mother's demise.

We are now eagerly looking to adopt that child. His father is in agreement with this initiative. I see some really old archived IRCC articles (2013) that say that adoption is banned from Pakistan.

I am looking for a confirmation first, if adoption is possible and process of it. In addition, what other options are there in getting a kid to Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
We are citizens of Canada and recently my wife's parents got the PR via PGP program. My wife went to pick them up from Pakistan. However, tragedy striked and she lost her youngest sister in a motorcycle accident.

We are now eagerly looking for adopting that child. His father is in agreement to this initiative. I see some really old archived IRCC articles (2013) that says that adoption is banned from Pakistan.

I am looking for a confirmation first, if adoption is possible and process of it. In addition, what other options are there, in getting a kid to Canada?
Sorry for your loss. Canada banned Pakistani adoptions because Pakistan has not signed the Hague Convention. Even if you adopted the child it doesn’t mean you can bring the child to Canada. The father is alive so the child is not an orphan. It also would be considered an adoption of convenience as the father is alive and can care for the child.

You can look at TRV for the child to visit and later on a study permit for the child to go to school in Canada. International fees and living expenses will have to be shown per year (about $20-25k).

See the guidance of an immigration adoption lawyer to see if even possible.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As already mentioned the child is not an orphan so would not usually qualify for adoption that is recognized by Canada. Before you ask the father willingly relinquishing their parental rights or your wife’s parents adopting the child won’t change the fact that the child has a parent who is alive. Was the child living with the father and mother at the time of the sister’s death? The other issue is the child is in Pakistan. Why is the father not able to care for the child? Was the sister’s family living with his family when the accident happened?