+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Admit MEng ECE Waterloo | PGWP Concern

ag141141

May 23, 2015
Hi there,

I just received an admit from UWaterloo for MEng ECE (Jan 2016)

The acceptance letter / website states the course duration as 1-2 years. [Minimum 3 terms - Max 6 terms]

What implications does it have on my PGWP ? Is there a way to get PGWP > 1 years ?

If I do 4 terms of study plus 2 terms of summer internship ...will it be considered as 2 years of course hence giving me 3 year PGWP ?

If anyone who faced a similar scenario of getting just one year of PGWP, please share your experiences.

Many Thanks

ag141141

May 23, 2015
GPA : 8.75
B. Tech CSE VIT University, Vellore
104 TOEFL
320 GRE
16 Months of relevant work ex
4 Month of relevant internship
Decent side projects and freelance work
No research papers

roohbir

Star Member
Jul 16, 2015
Chandigarh, India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Of course you'll be eligible for 3 years of pgwp if you do 4 terms of study.
CIC quotes:
"If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months:
you are not eligible for this program
less than two years but more than eight months:
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more:
a work permit may be issued for three years"

Now, mostly universities state the official period of study as 2 years even if you finish your courses in one year i.e., 3 terms. But just to be on the safer side, make sure you complete in 4 terms alongwith 2 co-op terms.

ag141141

May 23, 2015
roohbir said:
Of course you'll be eligible for 3 years of pgwp if you do 4 terms of study.
CIC quotes:
"If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months:
you are not eligible for this program
less than two years but more than eight months:
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more:
a work permit may be issued for three years"

Now, mostly universities state the official period of study as 2 years even if you finish your courses in one year i.e., 3 terms. But just to be on the safer side, make sure you complete in 4 terms alongwith 2 co-op terms.
Thanks for your reply roohbir :) Official period of study is mentioned as "1-2 years" on my acceptance letter but I guess that should work if they give me a visa of 2 years.

ameya08

Dec 1, 2017
Thanks for your reply roohbir :) Official period of study is mentioned as "1-2 years" on my acceptance letter but I guess that should work if they give me a visa of 2 years.
I am in the same dilemma of getting PGWP.... Can you pls share what happened subsequently with you?

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
Any updates on it guys? It would be really helpful
I actually have a similar question and I have not been unable to find any answer yet.

From what I read, the time of PGWP depends on the time of your course written on the 'Credential Completion Letter' (you will get this after you complete the course).

I guess you should be on the safer side and do what @roohbit said,

I am planning to do the same as well.

lolcocks

Jul 23, 2020
I actually have a similar question and I have not been unable to find any answer yet.

From what I read, the time of PGWP depends on the time of your course written on the 'Credential Completion Letter' (you will get this after you complete the course).

I guess you should be on the safer side and do what @roohbit said,

I am planning to do the same as well.
And by course I mean program.