+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Admission in Elementary Public School on Visitor Visa

Discussion in 'Education' started by virajrao, Jul 29, 2010.

  1. Hi,

    I have arrived in Toronto on 2 yrs Work Permit along with my wife and daughter who are on Visitor Visa of 2 yrs. I would like to know, whether, my daughter who is 5 yrs old, can get an admission in Elementary Public School in Toronto on Visitior Visa.

    Viraj Rao
  2. According to the info below, your daughter can enrol in the elementary public school in Toronto:

    Admissions & Registration

    Every child who lives in Toronto is welcome to attend a TDSB school. You can register at any time during the school year.

    Parents of students aged 4 to 13 can register directly at their neighbourhood school by bringing the following items:

    * Proof of age (such as a birth certificate or passport)
    * Proof of home address (such as purchase or lease agreement or a utility bill showing name and address)
    * Proof of custody (where applicable)

    Children Without Immigration Status

    Children not born in Canada who are living in Toronto without Canadian immigration status are welcome and eligible to attend TDSB schools without payment of admission fees. Any document which verifies the student's legal name, date of birth, home address, custody papers where applicable, and date of entry to Canada ( required for ESL funding purposes), is acceptable for TDSB school registration. A passport ( travel document) may be used to verify the student's name, date of birth and date of entry to Canada, in the absence of an immigration document or birth certificate. Where there is no official document to verify the required information, the TDSB accepts written signed letters of confirmation of the student's information from lawyers, notary publics, medical doctors, or other persons of recognized standing in the Toronto community.

    For more information

    * visit the International Programs and Admissions office at 5050 Yonge Street
    * call 416-395-8109 or 416-395-9618
    * e-mail admissions @ tdsb.on.ca
  3. A 4-year-old child can attend free kindergarten or elementary.
  5. do u have a question?
  6. Steaky, If the family will arrive in mid-school year. Can the children still be admitted to school? TNX
  7. Better send a email to ask the question to a school principal or tdsb.on.ca, if in Toronto
  8. hi,

    I wonder if one of the parent's holds a study permit, can the young kids go to elementary school without admission fee? Thanks~
  9. Yes, according to my reply #1 in this thread.
  10. Is it applicable also here in alberta? I mean, my wife and son arrived here on a visitors visa. can my son study here in alberta for free or how much will be the tuition fee?

  11. Contact your local school board. Google the name of your city and "board of education". Each city is different. Toronto is known for admitting students even if their parents don't have proper immigration papers.

    If you are here working, they should allow you to enrol your child for free. Call them to ask directly, as if they charge you for admission it could be quite costly - like $5,000-$10,000 per year.
  12. Hi,

    My sister is coming to Canada on study permit next year with her daughter who is 2 years now. and will turn 4 years in October 2019. can someone answer my questions regarding it?

    1. can her daughter study in school when she turns 4 next year?
    2. does she(kid) needs a study permit to study?
    3. do we need to pay for fees like international student fees?
    4. is there any way her daughter gets medical insurance along with her mother who will have college insurance?
    please answer here or Pierrecardin1106@gmail.com
  14. 1. Yes, all children whether citizen, PR or TR are legally required to go to school.
    2. No, study permit is not needed if 1 or both parents have study and/or work permit.
    3. No, it is going to be free if you admit in a public school.
    4. No, as far as i know, the mother will have to apply for separate insurance for the daughter (college insurance is like $500 per year). However, after having lived in a state like Ontario for 6 months, she and her daughter can be eligible for OHIP coverage.

    I hope this helped.
  15. 1) There are alternative schools such as homeschool.
    3) no idea if funding from the school district is provided!

Share This Page