+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Admission deferred( Already in Canada )......Do i need to inform IRCC

gentlesoul78

Jun 16, 2020
Hi Folks,
I came to Canada towards the end of September 2022 from the UK ( I'm a British Citizen ) on a study permit for January 2023 intake. Due to inevitable circumstances beyond my control, I did not start my program in January and I contacted the School to defer my admission and the school informed me that the next available intake is Fall ( September ) 2023 as there is no intake for my program ( Computer programming ) in May 2023. My program for September 2023 intake was approved/deferred. Do I need to inform IRCC about the deferment or there is no need? Please folks let me know ASAP. Thank you

ush8

Nov 22, 2022
Hi, I think you need to inform IRCC about this.
The study permit is issued based on your offer letter from the college on the basis that you will be engaged in full-time studies during the entire period of the study permit. But if you deferred the program, you are not a full-time student until September 2023. Then the basis on which the visa is issued becomes invalid and you will be considered as staying illegally in Canada.
In the IRCC website, they do mention that any change in the status should be informed....

gentlesoul78

Jun 16, 2020
Hi, I think you need to inform IRCC about this.
The study permit is issued based on your offer letter from the college on the basis that you will be engaged in full-time studies during the entire period of the study permit. But if you deferred the program, you are not a full-time student until September 2023. Then the basis on which the visa is issued becomes invalid and you will be considered as staying illegally in Canada.
In the IRCC website, they do mention that any change in the status should be informed....
Thanks for your reply. I haven't informed IRCC yet but the school has deferred my admission until September 2023 and I have been given another letter of admission for September 2023. As I said, I would have loved to start in the following semester which is May 2023 but the school has no intake in May 2023 that's why I opted for September 2023. I am a British Citizen and apart from the study permit, I have ETA ( Electronic Travel Authorisation ) that covers me till 2027.
So what's the best thing to do in this case? Should I inform the IRCC about the deferment OR does the new letter of admission given to me by the school covers me to start the program in September 2023 without the need to inform IRCC? Your swift response is highly appreciated. Thank you

ush8

Nov 22, 2022
You can apply for a visitor visa by mentioning the reasons. But the issue here is that had not actively pursued studies since jan 2023. I'm not sure whether IRCC will raise an issue based on this. As one of the conditions in the student visa is that you should actively pursue studies.
This is the link to visitor visa Extend your stay in Canada: About the document - Canada.ca.

It would be best to contact an immigration lawyer to verify your issue

gentlesoul78

Jun 16, 2020
You can apply for a visitor visa by mentioning the reasons. But the issue here is that had not actively pursued studies since jan 2023. I'm not sure whether IRCC will raise an issue based on this. As one of the conditions in the student visa is that you should actively pursue studies.
This is the link to visitor visa Extend your stay in Canada: About the document - Canada.ca.

It would be best to contact an immigration lawyer to verify your issue
Great....thanks for your prompt reply.