+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Admission deferral AFTER obtaining a study permit???

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
Already submitted along with the file
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
dipta said:
If you call CIC 1-888-242‑2100 from Pakistan ,you probably would hear only the recording. The line is only for those who are in Canada."The Call Centre can answer questions, in English and French, about Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) services and programs, or applications in process inside Canada."
In this case, he can contact the embassy in his country..I think they may know about changing the semester or university after obtaining study permit! :/

dipta

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2013
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Onlline 09-04-2013
File Transfer...
09-04-2013
Med's Request
21-04-2013
Med's Done....
22-04-2013
Passport Req..
07-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-05-2013
LANDED..........
24-08-2013
I don't think they will give any answer as this decision will depend on the officer in charge at the time of immigration.

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
dipta said:
I don't think they will give any answer as this decision will depend on the officer in charge at the time of immigration.
[/quote
Well, You are probably right, but this is the only choice he got! I guess giving it a try, won't get the situation worse..

Family_Guy

Apr 7, 2012
SSHanna said:
dipta said:
[/quote
Well, You are probably right, but this is the only choice he got! I guess giving it a try, won't get the situation worse..
All,
I am in a similat boat and for looking for someone who has gone through this situation. I would really appreciate if any of you could help me with my issue - which seems to be similar to what you guys have mentioned here.
I got my VISA approved for last year intake for September 2012. Unfortunately my father fell sick and I could not make it to Canada to start my classes in time. So I reapplied and have got re-admitted to the next intake which is this September 2013. My Student Visa is valid till November 2014 (course will finish on Nov 2015 so I will have to apply for extension)
Can I travel to Canada and attend the program on the same visa that I have from last year? The university, my course of study as well as my student number are all the same. I am afraid that if I travel and if I am deported at the Canadian border.
I have written an email to CIC Delhi many times, but I do not get any reply from them. Please help me as my time is running out.

Thanks

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
Family_Guy said:
All,
I am in a similat boat and for looking for someone who has gone through this situation. I would really appreciate if any of you could help me with my issue - which seems to be similar to what you guys have mentioned here.
I got my VISA approved for last year intake for September 2012. Unfortunately my father fell sick and I could not make it to Canada to start my classes in time. So I reapplied and have got re-admitted to the next intake which is this September 2013. My Student Visa is valid till November 2014 (course will finish on Nov 2015 so I will have to apply for extension)
Can I travel to Canada and attend the program on the same visa that I have from last year? The university, my course of study as well as my student number are all the same. I am afraid that if I travel and if I am deported at the Canadian border.
I have written an email to CIC Delhi many times, but I do not get any reply from them. Please help me as my time is running out.

Thanks
Now we are all in the same boat..@Family_guy, Based on what CIC website says, we should be on the safe side! http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15
As long as you study permit is valid, you may continue using it! but what is confusing me is that they did not mention if this rule applies to people who are already in Canada and have a study permit or those who are still in their home country like all of us!

But if we think about it, If they already allow students to do whatever they want even after their study permits are issued (as long as their study permit is valid and stay on the same level of degree), then why would they deport students who changes semesters or even universities after obtaining student visa! It does not make any sense, Does it?

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
SSHanna said:
Now we are all in the same boat.. @ Family_guy, Based on what CIC website says, we should be on the safe side! http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15
As long as you study permit is valid, you may continue using it! but what is confusing me is that they did not mention if this rule applies to people who are already in Canada and have a study permit or those who are still in their home country like all of us!

But if we think about it, If they already allow students to do whatever they want even after their study permits are issued (as long as their study permit is valid and stay on the same level of degree), then why would they deport students who changes semesters or even universities after obtaining student visa! It does not make any sense, Does it?
it is not that they have any issue with you changing semesters...you can do that and they don't care....but only after getting a study permit..there are no clear cut rules for anything before the issuance of study permit because it is the decision of the CBSA border officer...visa only entitles you to board a plane for the country....study permit is what would entitle you to be in the country..

another thing you need to check is that you need to make the first entry before your medicals expire which is one year after you take the medicals...i know they enforce this for the PR visas not sure about the student visa.

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
dbss said:
it is not that they have any issue with you changing semesters...you can do that and they don't care....but only after getting a study permit..there are no clear cut rules for anything before the issuance of study permit because it is the decision of the CBSA border officer...visa only entitles you to board a plane for the country....study permit is what would entitle you to be in the country..

another thing you need to check is that you need to make the first entry before your medicals expire which is one year after you take the medicals...i know they enforce this for the PR visas not sure about the student visa.
About medicals, fortunately I didn't even need to do medicals or interviews to get the student visa :D ! Visa was too easy to get in my country!
And about changing semesters or universities, I may contact the embassy in my country and ask them whether I need to submit the new LOA to my old student visa or apply for a new one. I don't want to get deported at the airport!

princepk

Star Member
May 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SSHanna said:
About medicals, fortunately I didn't even need to do medicals or interviews to get the student visa :D ! Visa was too easy to get in my country!
And about changing semesters or universities, I may contact the embassy in my country and ask them whether I need to submit the new LOA to my old student visa or apply for a new one. I don't want to get deported at the airport!
Please do share the information you get from Canadian embassy in your country.

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
princepk said:
Please do share the information you get from Canadian embassy in your country.
Of course I will, But please if any of you got any information, share it here!
Oh and sorry Princepk if I comment on your thread more than you even do :D

princepk

Star Member
May 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SSHanna said:
Of course I will, But please if any of you got any information, share it here!
Oh and sorry Princepk if I comment on your thread more than you even do :D
I read you comments.
So what are your plans uptil now?

SSHanna

Star Member
Jul 25, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IELTS Request
6.5 Band
Med's Request
Not required
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
in July 2013
LANDED..........
January 2014
princepk said:
I read you comments.
So what are your plans uptil now?
I already have the student visa but want to change the university and the semester as well (bachelor to bachelor)! I still have the old admission letter from the first university but I am not going to study there ,also my application was cancelled there! I have to options:
1-Show the old admission letter from the first university and take the risk that the Border services officer may contact the university and find out that my application was cancelled then I am going to be in real trouble!
2-Show the new admission letter from the new university which I want to study at.

Now the best that I can do is to contact the embassy...

princepk

Star Member
May 17, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SSHanna said:
I already have the student visa but want to change the university and the semester as well (bachelor to bachelor)! I still have the old admission letter from the first university but I am not going to study there ,also my application was cancelled there! I have to options:
1-Show the old admission letter from the first university and take the risk that the Border services officer may contact the university and find out that my application was cancelled then I am going to be in real trouble!
2-Show the new admission letter from the new university which I want to study at.

Now the best that I can do is to contact the embassy...
Your case is bit complicated. You really need authentic advise on what you do. I on the other hand just plan to defer my admission, with the knowledge of my university. That's only cause I really don't want to take some courses I'm not interested (and don't perform good) in. And I also have some family issues I hope to resolve before I go.

Let's see what happens. I may actually have to go. I'm preparing for it too.

ashishk22

Nov 4, 2014
I'm in the same boat now! College is unable to give a delay start date, They are willing to defer the admission to August.

But I got an email yesterday for passport submission.

@princepk What did you finally do ????

Jan 25, 2019
Hello all,

I have recently got my study permit with validity upto 2015 (No visa, just got the permit sticker on my PP). I was wondering if I could defer my admission to the Spring 2014 term (January 2014) instead of this Fall 2013 term on the basis of which I have been issued the permit.

The primary reason of deferral is that the courses offered in my university for this term are NOT in line with my interests. The courses that will be offered in Spring 2014 are of my interest.
The program I enrolled in is a Course-Based Masters of Engineering program in which you have to complete your MENG by choosing courses. So I need to make these count and not just jump to Canada with any courses.

I've also asked from my University about deferral and will hopefully receive their reply on this soon. [UPDATE: University replied: I can defer and will receive my new admission letters by email and postal mail shortly afterwards) But I'm more concerned about the Permit/Visa side.

Folks at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15 answer this question. But I want to be doubly sure. like am I putting my permit in danger/expiry/invalidity by not travelling immediately to Canada? What do the officers in Canada ask you when you arrive etc etc.

Your suggestions are needed.
Thanks.

P.S. I know I already asked the same question in another thread, but that was when I didn't have a permit. I hope you understand my concerns.
I too am in a similar situation as you right now. Can you please tell me how you went ahead after this ?