Admission average for universities

vjbharadwaj

Apr 16, 2014
Hi all

I am planning to do Mengg in a university in canada,ive appplied for

Mengg Engineering management in ottawa university

Mengg Engineering management in Memorial university New foundland

My Profile

Mtech Power systems Engg with 7.2 CGPA (Chennai,India)

B.E Electronics and communication with 62%(chennai,india) with some backlogs

IELTS - 7 (lowest module 6.5)

I GOT REJECTION LETTER FROM OTTAWA UNIVERSITY SAYING I DONT MEET THE MINIMUM ADMISSION AVERaGE,AND MY ADMISSION AVERAGE IS 5.6.

Does anybody know what is admission average and how it is calculated.Does this mean my Mun will also be rejected on same basis and im not eligible for admission to any uni in canada?

P.s : i have an admission offer from lambton college for Quality engineering management as a back up plan

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila (VFS Makati; paper)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Do you know what your grade is in 4.0 scale?

This is a link to a sample grade conversion chart: http://www.collegeboard.com/html/academicTracker-howtoconvert.html

Most universities have a 3.0 (sometimes 3.2 for the last two years) minimum CGPA requirement.

vjbharadwaj

Apr 16, 2014
scottdickson86 said:
Do you know what your grade is in 4.0 scale?

Most universities have a 3.0 (sometimes 3.2 for the last two years) minimum CGPA requirement.

I checked the admission eqivalancies and it says for india the requirement is 60% or 7/10 gpa

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
Did you find that at the general graduate admissions page, or from Meng department's admission page? It is possible that the department has a higher minimum required CGPA compared to the university's general guidelines and/or requirements for admission. Meeting minimum requirements also does not guarantee admission. They have to screen us out by comparing our application package with those of the other applicants'. Have you applied at other universities?

vjbharadwaj

Apr 16, 2014
scottdickson86 said:
Did you find that at the general graduate admissions page, or from Meng department's admission page? It is possible that the department has a higher minimum required CGPA compared to the university's general guidelines and/or requirements for admission. Meeting minimum requirements also does not guarantee admission. They have to screen us out by comparing our application package with those of the other applicants'. Have you applied at other universities?
i found it at the general faculty of graduate studies page,but the department page for requirements just says that u need to meet the minimum requirements of the faculty of graduate studies.When i emailed the department on why i was rejected they told me my admission average was 5.6 and i needed an admission average of 7.does any one know how this is calculated?

vjbharadwaj

Apr 16, 2014
The university also told me they only considered my Mtech(2 years) and my final semsester in B.E grades.

so i got 7.2/10 cgpa (srm univeristy india)

and my final semester i got 60 %(over all 62.5)

so how did they calculate the admission average of 5.6 for me?

scottdickson86

Dec 4, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Jul-2014
Med's Done....
06-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
22-Jul-2014
LANDED..........
27-Aug-2014
vjbharadwaj said:
The university also told me they only considered my Mtech(2 years) and my final semsester in B.E grades.

so i got 7.2/10 cgpa (srm univeristy india)

and my final semester i got 60 %(over all 62.5)

so how did they calculate the admission average of 5.6 for me?
I'm sorry to hear it. Maybe you can ask them to show you their grades conversion guide? Each department and any university has it's own way of converting grades. Tell them the conversion details would help you decided about reapplying in the future.