+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adjuct Faculty hour workload calculation USA

tokalaangel

Star Member
Sep 18, 2019
Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to calculate my Adjunct Faculty hour workload to update my EE profile.

I taught at a community college in the US. I taught 1 class for a semester, we met twice a week for 2hrs 15 mins each session. The Employment Verification letter I received does not state any info about hours/week but has my class schedule as an attached document.

When I asked about why there were no hours included, the reply was:

"I didn’t include the hours because as an adjunct you would have out of class time work and planning. Which could make your hours vary each week. That is why I included your class schedule."

What should I do from here? I am under the assumption that there is some kind of federal regulation regarding how adjunct faculty hours are calculated to include class preparation time (It's not like schools be hiring college instructors and be like GO FORTH AND CONQUER with no expectation of prep right???)

Should the hours/week (without the prep hours) be 4.5 hours based on hours met or 3 hours as it's a 3 credit hour course?

I appreciate the help, thanks!

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
(I ask this knowing the likely answer is 'it was a lump sum contract') Did your contract provide for any compensation for prep time? Are there guidelines in your faculty association handbook/union contract/etc that you can point to that specify suggested amounts of prep/marking time, etc?