+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Address Proof and Initial Private Insurance

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
Hello everyone,

Just received my COPR will be landing in Toronto soon. It seems a number of things to apply for in Canada as a newly landed immigrant is connected with an address proof - OHIP, Driving License, SIN Card, bank accounts, and many more. Househunting can take some time (sometimes months) after landing, especially for a family, so I was wondering - how are you all managing the address proof problem? Any advice will be helpful.

Also, I believe that the OHIP card now has no wait time like it there used to be before - which is an excellent development. However - again - without an address proof, one cannot apply for OHIP, so we are sort of back to square one. In such cases, it is advised that you buy private health insurance till the time you rent a house, get an address proof and hence an OHIP health card. Now, my question is, does private travel insurance in countries outside Canada that provides health cover (such as the ones we buy while going on foreign holidays) enough for private health insurance? Or does one need to buy health insurance from WITHIN Canada? If the latter, are there any private insurers that have addressed this requirement of newcomers specifically?

Thanks and regards,

P.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

Just received my COPR will be landing in Toronto soon. It seems a number of things to apply for in Canada as a newly landed immigrant is connected with an address proof - OHIP, Driving License, SIN Card, bank accounts, and many more. Househunting can take some time (sometimes months) after landing, especially for a family, so I was wondering - how are you all managing the address proof problem? Any advice will be helpful.

Also, I believe that the OHIP card now has no wait time like it there used to be before - which is an excellent development. However - again - without an address proof, one cannot apply for OHIP, so we are sort of back to square one. In such cases, it is advised that you buy private health insurance till the time you rent a house, get an address proof and hence an OHIP health card. Now, my question is, does private travel insurance in countries outside Canada that provides health cover (such as the ones we buy while going on foreign holidays) enough for private health insurance? Or does one need to buy health insurance from WITHIN Canada? If the latter, are there any private insurers that have addressed this requirement of newcomers specifically?

Thanks and regards,

P.
No proof of address is needed to open bank account. In fact, open bank account will instantly gave you proof of address.

Reactions: Palamon

Palamon

Star Member
Feb 12, 2019
No proof of address is needed to open bank account. In fact, open bank account will instantly gave you proof of address.
Oh, that seems quite convenient. But won't I need SIN to open a bank account? And what document should I take from the bank for address proof? A letter, or a statement of accounts perhaps?