+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Address History

sbjuliana

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I have a question regarding the Address History form for Express Entry. I received the ITA and I'm now filling the questionnaire again.

In the Address History part it says we shouldn't leave any gap. What happened is: I moved to Canada in 2015 and stayed for 20-something days in a AirBNB house. So i only moved to my permanent address 20 days after leaving my previous address in my home country.

Do I need to put the AirBNB address in the Adress History?

Thanks in advance!

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
I have a question regarding the Address History form for Express Entry. I received the ITA and I'm now filling the questionnaire again.

In the Address History part it says we shouldn't leave any gap. What happened is: I moved to Canada in 2015 and stayed for 20-something days in a AirBNB house. So i only moved to my permanent address 20 days after leaving my previous address in my home country.

Do I need to put the AirBNB address in the Adress History?

Thanks in advance!
If it were me, I would include it. 20-something days (3 or 4 weeks) is a small amount of time, and it's almost like listing a hotel stay in your address history :), but since it was your first address after arriving in CANADA, I would feel slightly uncomfortable leaving it out. But that's just me :)

You can always include a letter of explanation (LOE) to clarify, regardless of whether you choose to include it in your Address History or not, if you're uncertain about your ultimate decision :)

uppperkut

Jan 28, 2017
Somewhere in ON
If you didn't have any other address in a particular country that you resided in, put the hotel/AirBnB address. I personally did that, no issues at all. If you however were visiting a country for a short vacation, keep using your home address in your home/residency country.

sbjuliana

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
If you didn't have any other address in a particular country that you resided in, put the hotel/AirBnB address. I personally did that, no issues at all. If you however were visiting a country for a short vacation, keep using your home address in your home/residency country.
I had no other permanent address, since I was moving from one country to another.

I guess I will add it them.

Thanks, everybody!

seemefree

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
If it were me, I would include it. 20-something days (3 or 4 weeks) is a small amount of time, and it's almost like listing a hotel stay in your address history :), but since it was your first address after arriving in CANADA, I would feel slightly uncomfortable leaving it out. But that's just me :)

You can always include a letter of explanation (LOE) to clarify, regardless of whether you choose to include it in your Address History or not, if you're uncertain about your ultimate decision :)
Sorry to bump in here...its the same topic though.

I have a query regarding the continuity and more so the "reliability" of this continuity when filling in the address history. I moved to Europe in Aug 2013 and started studying here.

Aug 2013 to June 2014 - I lived in a hostel (Europe) - Hostel contract ended in June 2014
June 2014 - Aug 2014 - Holiday back home (India)
Aug 2014 - June 2015 - I lived in an apartment (Europe) - Apartment contract ended in June 2015
June 2015 - Aug 2015 - Holiday back home (India)

In Education history and Personal history though, it will state :
-Education history :
Aug 2013 - Aug 2015 - European University (conflicts with address history - 1 month in India each year)
-Personal history :
Aug 2013 - Aug 2015 - Studying

My question is, seeing that I was a student in Europe during that period should I mention :
Aug 2013 - Aug 2014 - Hostel, Address A (Even though contract expired in June 2014?)
Aug 2014 - Aug 2015 - Apartment, Address B (Even through contract expired in June 2015?)

and include travel to India in travel history? Because if it shows 1 month away in the address history as India, I believe it could be seen as conflicting with the claim that I was studying in Europe continuously (with continuous address history in Europe), right?

Please point me in the right direction! Thanks a lot in advance!

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
Sorry to bump in here...its the same topic though.

I have a query regarding the continuity and more so the "reliability" of this continuity when filling in the address history. I moved to Europe in Aug 2013 and started studying here.

Aug 2013 to June 2014 - I lived in a hostel (Europe) - Hostel contract ended in June 2014
June 2014 - Aug 2014 - Holiday back home (India)
Aug 2014 - June 2015 - I lived in an apartment (Europe) - Apartment contract ended in June 2015
June 2015 - Aug 2015 - Holiday back home (India)

In Education history and Personal history though, it will state :
-Education history :
Aug 2013 - Aug 2015 - European University (conflicts with address history - 1 month in India each year)
-Personal history :
Aug 2013 - Aug 2015 - Studying

My question is, seeing that I was a student in Europe during that period should I mention :
Aug 2013 - Aug 2014 - Hostel, Address A (Even though contract expired in June 2014?)
Aug 2014 - Aug 2015 - Apartment, Address B (Even through contract expired in June 2015?)

and include travel to India in travel history? Because if it shows 1 month away in the address history as India, I believe it could be seen as conflicting with the claim that I was studying in Europe continuously (with continuous address history in Europe), right?

Please point me in the right direction! Thanks a lot in advance!
I don't think the conflict should matter - I'm sure IRCC is aware that people studying abroad will go back to their home countries on holidays for certain periods (e.g. summer and winter breaks) and that this may result in address changes (especially if you're living in university housing for example, which would normally close during the breaks). Also, your travel history should also provide additional clarification on the matter. But if you're very concerned, include a Letter of Explanation to provide additional clarification for IRCC.

Reactions: seemefree

Mr Optimist

Star Member
Sep 14, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My advice would be, don't make it complex that it creates confusion... As far as AirBnB address is considered, I don't think it is necessary since it was only for couple of weeks. Unless you had given it as your communication address to your SIN or bank statement etc, I would not suggest you go as far to list places where you stayed for 2-3 weeks.

Snapdragon

Star Member
Dec 25, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Warsaw
AOR Received.
19-03-2018
Passport Req..
29-08-2018
Hi guys.
What about the gaps in address history because of traveling? I moved from one place to another and spent 2 days flying and in airports. So technically I didn't have home address for those days. Is that ok?

aleersurahio

Mar 18, 2019
Hi guys, does the address history has to be 100% correct, I live in 4 apartments for past three years and for past 10 years, probably 20 places. I don’t even remember the dates as they were my relatives and friends’ Houses. Should I mention some particular addresses without leaving gaps as I lived in two countries and 4 cities. Moreover, does traveling is to be counted, like I lived in dubai for 2 months at a friend’s place for vacation and 3 cities of turkey on vacation for two weeks?

Would they ask any document?

Mar 29, 2023
Hi.

Help me out, please.

I have lived all my life in Karachi, Pakistan.
Then, for uni... I went to Nottingham in 2013 for a three-year program. During these 3 years, I would visit Karachi for breaks.
Do I have to write down EVERY single address? OR should I just leave the broad categories?

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Hi.

Help me out, please.

I have lived all my life in Karachi, Pakistan.
Then, for uni... I went to Nottingham in 2013 for a three-year program. During these 3 years, I would visit Karachi for breaks.
Do I have to write down EVERY single address? OR should I just leave the broad categories?
Use common sense. Your permanent address was in Nottingham during that 3 year period so that’s what you put down.

Mar 29, 2023
Hear me out... I'm only seeking guidance, as I am not 100% sure myself.

Let me re-explain.

I have lived in Karachi since birth (KHI-Home).
Then, for my Bachelor's, I went to Nottingham in September 2013. It was a 3 year program.
I lived in uni accommodation there.

Timeline of my addresses (example):
2006-October 2013Karachi
September 2013-December 2013Nottingham Hall (1st year 1st semester)
Then I came back to Karachi for a month (December holidays)Karachi
January 2013-June 2013Nottingham Hall (1st year) second semester
July2013-August 2013back in Karachi
Sept 2014 to december 2014nottingham hall (2nd year) first semester

So, I kept coming back for 10-20 days to Karachi, during my 3 years in Nottingham... sometimes for Easter break, sometimes for a cousin's wedding, etc.
The 'Address History' says 'NO GAPS', and that is making me feel anxious.
At the same time, I don't want to get too granular with my addresses... I don't want to provide an address for every single trip of mine since the last 10 years... sample of whcih i gave in the table above...
Instead, I just want to make 4 entries in my address history (to cover my major addresses where i LIVED for atleast a month), not just spent 10-15 days.
  • Karachi 2006 -present
  • Nottingham year 1 Halls (Sept 2013 to July 2014)
  • Nottingham year 2 Halls (Sept 2014 to July 2015)
  • Nottingham year 3 Halls (Sept 2015 to July 2016)
This is how I am probably going to enter my Address History... ^ Let me know if it looks ok. Here I am accounting for the MAJOR chunks of my addresses... not short trips back and forth between my resident country and uni... because that would potentially mean up to 20+ address entries.
I agree this method does appear to be gap-py, but can I then explain in my LOE, that I used to visit my house in Karachi during non-term time? Instead of creating a Karachi entry for every minuscule trip back home?

Sorry for sounding too extreme, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Thanks!

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
As i mentioned, use the addresses of your halls of residence for your time in Nottingham as your address entries for the 3 year duration.

Year 1 halls - Sept 2013 to Sept 2014
Year 2 halls - Sept 2014 to Sept 2015
Year 3 halls - Sept 2015 to July 2016

Your education history will match up to show start dats (Sept 2013) and end date/ graduation (July 2016).

Simple.