+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Address history and travel - please help!

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
On IMM 5532, under #5 Address history (and IMM 5669 (applicants address history)):

My common law partner (applicant) and I (the Canadian sponsor) traveled together for a few months nonstop abroad (Europe and Hawaii) before we settled in Canada, therefore the first 3 months of our "one year living together to be considered common law" was spent traveling together. Therefore, does he write his parents address and I write my parents address for that period of time (and include a letter explaining that our parents addresses were the legal addresses while traveling)? Or should we have a 3 month section that says "no address, traveling by bicycle and sleeping in tent in Europe"?

I was initially going to include a 3 month section with no fixed address but the form won't let me validate it without including a country, etc (but we weren't in a single country - we cycled through 6 countries in Europe and then flew to Hawaii).

Anyone else have experience with this?

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
As far as I know, you will need to provide them with an address. For common-law, they want to see you both residing under the same roof, so to say. If you don't feel like you have enough proof of this or if you think they might have any problems with you guys not having a permanent residence for the first 3 months, you should wait and apply when you have a stronger case for common-law.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
As far as I know, you will need to provide them with an address. For common-law, they want to see you both residing under the same roof, so to say. If you don't feel like you have enough proof of this or if you think they might have any problems with you guys not having a permanent residence for the first 3 months, you should wait and apply when you have a stronger case for common-law.
We feel like we have enough evidence but I don't want this question to be the make or break.

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
We feel like we have enough evidence but I don't want this question to be the make or break.
IRCC just needs a paper trail. You might be able to prove cohabitation with hotel receipts, expenses you shared, tickets, passport stamps. Anything you can think of that will show both of you someplace at the same time.

Again, if you can wait 3 months to gain a full 12 months of the 'lease living' so to say, do it.

juliakristof

May 5, 2017
IRCC just needs a paper trail. You might be able to prove cohabitation with hotel receipts, expenses you shared, tickets, passport stamps. Anything you can think of that will show both of you someplace at the same time.

Again, if you can wait 3 months to gain a full 12 months of the 'lease living' so to say, do it.
We have plane tickets, screenshots of instagram and facebook pictures with time stamps, 2 hotel receipts, and warmshowers (like couchsurfing) reviews which state both our names. We also have written letters from our parents confirming this.

Anyways I found a year old thread that no one answered to but this guy had a similar situation:

"Address history section tells us to leave no gaps. But what if there are periods in life actually without any addresses? For example, let's say I was living in the US and moved to Germany, but traveled around Britain and France for a month before settling in Germany. While I was traveling in Britain and France, my address would be neither the US one (since I had already left the residence and the country, and not coming back), nor the German one (since I had not arrived there yet and had no lease/ownership of residence before I arrived). Travel History section shows my travels in Britain/France, so there would be no gaps if Address and Travel History are taken together. but any thoughts on what to put in address history for that period?"

What would you put for address history??

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
We have plane tickets, screenshots of instagram and facebook pictures with time stamps, 2 hotel receipts, and warmshowers (like couchsurfing) reviews which state both our names. We also have written letters from our parents confirming this.

Anyways I found a year old thread that no one answered to but this guy had a similar situation:

"Address history section tells us to leave no gaps. But what if there are periods in life actually without any addresses? For example, let's say I was living in the US and moved to Germany, but traveled around Britain and France for a month before settling in Germany. While I was traveling in Britain and France, my address would be neither the US one (since I had already left the residence and the country, and not coming back), nor the German one (since I had not arrived there yet and had no lease/ownership of residence before I arrived). Travel History section shows my travels in Britain/France, so there would be no gaps if Address and Travel History are taken together. but any thoughts on what to put in address history for that period?"

What would you put for address history??
If you were staying in hotels, I would add the hotel address and include a letter of explanation, as well as the proper invoice. Both of your names would be on all of this. If you were staying in a tent, there's no credible way to prove that.. I doubt IRCC would count this towards your eligibility.