+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Address for PR card

reslanw

Jun 24, 2015
Hello

I will be landing this month through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel.
The only address that I know in Canada is for a friend in Montreal. Will the border officer accept that ?
If not, then what are my alternatives ? How can I provide an address once I am settled in for good ?

Thanks

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
The program through which you obtained residency is a key factor. If your residency was determined through any program run outside of Quebec, it may be tricky for you to provide a QC address. However, your options are:

1. Try providing the Montreal address to the IO. If they accept it, fine, but if your residence was issued through the FSW or a PNP, they'll most likely reject it.

2. Rent a UPS mailbox. Whereas its like a post office box (which CIC does not accept), the address is actually a street address in the format below:
000 Street Name, Suite 888,
City, Postal Code, Province
The suite number is your box number.
This option requires, either you land first then rent the box (see option 3), or you contact UPS stores in the province you intend to settle (advisably closer to your place of residence/accommodation for your convenience). Visit www.ups.ca and use their store locator tool for a list of stores within your destination that offer the rental service. Contact details are indicated for each store, call them and determine if you can set up the box remotely, some do.

3. Land without an address and provide it after you get one. In this case the IO will provide you with an Address Notification Form that you can fax to CIC within 180 days from your date of landing. However, you can do it online as well within 180 days.

4. If you've already reserved a place for temporary accommodation (e.g. airbnb), and intend to stay there for 2-4 months (card processing is 56 days), you can obtain approval from the host/owner to use the address during your stay. If the owner approves, you can provide that, but you have to hope the card gets there within the time you plan on staying there.

Those are your options.

reslanw

Jun 24, 2015
Thank you next2015 for the detailed info.
I am actually under FSW. I will try as you mentioned and I guess my second option will be UPS store.

Cheers

reslanw

Jun 24, 2015
Hello again next2015

so ive been researching this UPS mailbox thing
apparently you cannot register for a mailbox until you are physically there, no online registration
another option that looks similar is aramex shop and ship, any idea if that would work ?

cheers

atzquebec

Aug 6, 2015
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
01-08-2015
Passport Req..
01-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
April 21 2016
reslanw said:
Hello again next2015

apparently you cannot register for a mailbox until you are physically there, no online registration
another option that looks similar is aramex shop and ship, any idea if that would work ?

cheers
UPS is much more flexible than Aramex Shop and Ship.. You don't have much control over aramex, its completely automated. Whereas UPS can do as you request, for additional cost. And yes you cannot open an UPS online, you would need to visit one their stores. You can inform the immigration officer that address will be given later, and it can be done online. So you open the UPS account in person and then do the address change.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
reslanw said:
Hello again next2015

cheers
I am not familiar with aramex shop and ship, so I cannot give you an opinion - I would hate to misinform you.
As for UPS, the "remote registration" is not done online. What happens is; the store owner may send you (by mail) a hard copy of the registration/lease form, which you sign and return with a payment (money order) and copy of ID. However, as I mentioned in my first response, very few store owners do this, for obvious reasons.

If I may ask, where will you be landing/settling? I don't mind making inquiries for you, I know how troubling this address issue can be - I've been there...

reslanw

Jun 24, 2015
Thank you atzquebec & next2015 for your inputs

@next2015
As I said I will be landing through Detroit-Windsor border.
Staying a few days in Windsor then will be travelling around checking a few places (Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal..)
I am planning to eventually settle in Vancouver due to better winter weather, but for now will be travelling around a bit, so you can see that I wont have a permanent address for a while

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Hi reslanw,

What stands out for me is Toronto, in regards to the address issue. I have seen a number of posts in the past recommending this place for temporary accommodation: http://www.safehomestay.com/ourservices.html Notice that among its services is mail receiving and forwarding. I suggest you give them a call... Also, I'd recommend you start a thread asking anyone that has stayed at the place and more importantly, used it to receive their mail; to share their experience.

It's really similar to a UPS Store, only that you're not renting a mailbox, and you get to stay there as well.

Remember, you have 180 days to provide an address to CIC from your date of landing. So, if you think you'll be in Vancouver within that time, you can wait until you get there...