+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Additional Family Information" in IRCC PR application

MariaZz

Nov 3, 2022
I am doing my Permanent Resident application through IRCC (non Express Entry, I applied for OINP international student stream and got a letter of provincial nominee approval based on which I can apply for permanent residence).
So as I am filling out my PR application, I see the form IMM 5406 - "Additional Family Information"
In there, it states:
"You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Enter all names in English and in your native language (for example, Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean or Japanese script or Chinese commercial/telegraphic code). If a section does not apply, write “Not Applicable.""
And then there is a button "Add a family member" so that I fill out a form for myself, and then fill out a form on behalf of family member(s). My question is, in this case, do family members include parents? My confusion comes from the fact that in the statement above it reads "any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents.", from that part I understood that my parents fall under that category (they are not canadian citizens).
However, then I visited IRCC's glossary with explanation of terms used in PR applications (Glossary - Canada.ca ) and there, it states that they define family members as An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

So the question is, do I include my parents in my application or not? Thanks in advance everyone

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
I am doing my Permanent Resident application through IRCC (non Express Entry, I applied for OINP international student stream and got a letter of provincial nominee approval based on which I can apply for permanent residence).
So as I am filling out my PR application, I see the form IMM 5406 - "Additional Family Information"
In there, it states:
"You (the principal applicant) must fill out this form for yourself and on behalf of any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents. Enter all names in English and in your native language (for example, Arabic, Cyrillic, Chinese, Korean or Japanese script or Chinese commercial/telegraphic code). If a section does not apply, write “Not Applicable.""
And then there is a button "Add a family member" so that I fill out a form for myself, and then fill out a form on behalf of family member(s). My question is, in this case, do family members include parents? My confusion comes from the fact that in the statement above it reads "any of your family members 18 years of age or older who are not already Canadian citizens or permanent residents.", from that part I understood that my parents fall under that category (they are not canadian citizens).
However, then I visited IRCC's glossary with explanation of terms used in PR applications (Glossary - Canada.ca ) and there, it states that they define family members as An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children.

So the question is, do I include my parents in my application or not? Thanks in advance everyone
Yes. Your parents, siblings,spouse and kids comes in this category. Hope this helps