+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Additional documents & Travel to PA

Reddeer_1

Sep 24, 2020
Hi Forum, I really need some advice from experts here. I am a permanent resident of Canada and our situation is that our outland sponsorship in the process right now and I have already received AOR. As a Sponsor, I traveled to spend some time with PA (my wife) to the PA's country for about 8 weeks. This trip allowed us to go on our pending honeymoon and create some other useful documents which we could not do last year due to covid restrictions. These documents could be useful for our application/ case but I recently found that as a Permanent Resident Sponsor I should not have traveled for such a long time as this could jeopardize our application. I want to send these documents but I am really scared that IRCC may refuse my application because of my declared long travel. Should I send these documents? Please advise and help.

esam99

Nov 4, 2020
well, as a PR sponsoring ur spouse, u shouldnt leave canada for more than 2-4 weeks while the application is ongoing,
its ur decision

Reactions: Reddeer_1

Chad4lyphe

Jul 28, 2019
Hi Forum, I really need some advice from experts here. I am a permanent resident of Canada and our situation is that our outland sponsorship in the process right now and I have already received AOR. As a Sponsor, I traveled to spend some time with PA (my wife) to the PA's country for about 8 weeks. This trip allowed us to go on our pending honeymoon and create some other useful documents which we could not do last year due to covid restrictions. These documents could be useful for our application/ case but I recently found that as a Permanent Resident Sponsor I should not have traveled for such a long time as this could jeopardize our application. I want to send these documents but I am really scared that IRCC may refuse my application because of my declared long travel. Should I send these documents? Please advise and help.
Well I would advise u don't send any document unless they are requested by ircc, the amount of time you can spend with your spouse outside of Canada as a pr is not clear with ircc, I would advise keep it short as possible good luck

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
An opinion only - as in I honestly don't know and you'll have to decide for yourself. I have no outright evidence to support this opinion.

I think the risk of submitting this after you've returned to Canada is probably low. So if this info and documents are important to your app, submit them.

My thinking is I don't think IRCC is out looking for reasons to cancel after the fact, and your eight week trip could be seen as short, esp in covid times.

I'm absolutely not suggesting anyone should depart on two month trips and believe they're not running a risk of app being cancelled.

But once back in Canada, if you stay, probably lower risk.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
But once back in Canada, if you stay, probably lower risk.
I want to emphasize two points to this:
1) Obviously it's only your decision and your risk. You say the docs are needed for your file, so if needed, don't know that you have much alternative.

2) Stay in Canada. By submitting these docs, they know you did leave for a while. If an officer should decide to check your current residency status at any point in the process, you don't want to then be out again. (Truly short trips probably fine, though)

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
I want to emphasize two points to this:
1) Obviously it's only your decision and your risk. You say the docs are needed for your file, so if needed, don't know that you have much alternative.

2) Stay in Canada. By submitting these docs, they know you did leave for a while. If an officer should decide to check your current residency status at any point in the process, you don't want to then be out again. (Truly short trips probably fine, though)
Not adding much but just to reinforce everything Armoured just said, if that is your only trip out of the country and you don't leave again until it is processed, I would say that in the current circumstances of Covid and quarantines, the definition of short trips is probably a bit more flexible than it has historically been. Don't push it and for others, trying to limit it more is probably best, but I would say that if you are concerned about those documents being needed, it is probably worth sending them. Alternatively you can wait until they request more documents but that depends a bit on the nature of those documents, if really needed, then there is no real alternative and might as well be proactive.

Again not adding much but just reinforcing the opinion above.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
... I would say that in the current circumstances of Covid and quarantines, the definition of short trips is probably a bit more flexible than it has historically been.
Not to belabor the point, but I'd put the most emphasis on the fact that the PR-sponsor is physically in Canada at the time some communication or check happens rather than the length of the trip (within reason). Again, this is a guess.

It's never been clear how much IRCC enforces this particular provision/requirement, but there are signs (or at least it seems to me the signs are) that physical presence / residence in Canada when they happen to check is a big deal.

Anyway rather speculative but hope this helps.

And I'm keeping in mind/reiterating that this requirement exists and it's unfortunately not very clear (i.e. IRCC does not specifically state how long it's okay to be abroad for PR sponsors other than saying 'short trips are ok.'

Reddeer_1

Sep 24, 2020
Not to belabor the point, but I'd put the most emphasis on the fact that the PR-sponsor is physically in Canada at the time some communication or check happens rather than the length of the trip (within reason). Again, this is a guess.

It's never been clear how much IRCC enforces this particular provision/requirement, but there are signs (or at least it seems to me the signs are) that physical presence / residence in Canada when they happen to check is a big deal.

Anyway rather speculative but hope this helps.

And I'm keeping in mind/reiterating that this requirement exists and it's unfortunately not very clear (i.e. IRCC does not specifically state how long it's okay to be abroad for PR sponsors other than saying 'short trips are ok.'
The documents I want to share will only support my existing application and not absolutely necessary. But I feel coming forthright with IRCC and declaring my travel will be seen in a positive way and I may need to declare them later anyways down the process. Yes it is not clear from IRCC and given the fact that application processing times have almost doubled the travel is pretty much necessary and should be expected.