+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Additional documents for relationship proof?

dkhtrieu1006

Apr 25, 2020
Hi guys, hope you're staying safe in these uncertain times. I have a few questions and would love to hear your advice.

In section 7e. Proof of relationship to sponsor, for the "Other proof that your relationship is recognized by friends/ family (social media information showing a public relationship)", me and my wife did update our marriage status on Facebook, changed our profile/ cover picture with 100-200 likes per post. Can we screenshot all these posts as proof? But then how will we prove that the FB accounts are ours?

For documentary evidence of financial support, my wife doesn't use her bank account, except for her GIC student investment plan. All of our expenses are used on my card. So I guess we can't submit any documents for this, right?

If you guys didn't submit enough docs for this questions, how did you explain?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi guys, hope you're staying safe in these uncertain times. I have a few questions and would love to hear your advice.

In section 7e. Proof of relationship to sponsor, for the "Other proof that your relationship is recognized by friends/ family (social media information showing a public relationship)", me and my wife did update our marriage status on Facebook, changed our profile/ cover picture with 100-200 likes per post. Can we screenshot all these posts as proof? But then how will we prove that the FB accounts are ours?

For documentary evidence of financial support, my wife doesn't use her bank account, except for her GIC student investment plan. All of our expenses are used on my card. So I guess we can't submit any documents for this, right?

If you guys didn't submit enough docs for this questions, how did you explain?
On social media support: I think the way to look at this is that they will look at your application in toto. You don't have to provide 'proof' in the sense of legal docs or whatever most of the time, they will ask questions if something is not clear. Or from a slightly different angle: if they don't believe your social media accounts are yours, then you have a problem with credibility with the application package overall; on the other hand, if it all makes sense and 'fits together' it's unlikely they'd ask you to prove that your facebook account is 'yours.'

Financials: you can also show financial support by, for example, showing that household expenses or things ordered or paid for specifically for your spouse were paid by you. As a simple example, if your spouse is studying somewhere and you paid the tuition, that would be pretty decent information. Or the spouse ordered things to be delivered under his/her name, and you have the docs showing you paid for it. Rent and utility payments if living together may be relevant. Etc. Obviously helps if they are clearly for the spouse or for both of you (instead of e.g. trying to say "I paid for two dozen eggs a week and that was for both of us, we each eat one egg per day" when they have no way of judging how many eggs one person normally eats, that's just a preference, some such examples might just look silly).

Hope this helps.

CanUK333

Jun 18, 2019
United Kingdom
Category........
FAM
Yes, those FB posts showing dates and comments of others is good and you don't have to prove it's your account or anything that specific. Don't need to include ALL posts, just a few and especially those that are most relevant or show others in the photo with you guys.

Other social proof may include tweet/retweets at each other (and screenshots of accounts). Instagram pics of both of you.

Other proof of relationship include:

Photos with friends/family (list names and relations on back).

Signed letters from a few family members or friends detailing how they know you, how they're aware of your relationship, specifics on times where they've met your spouse, positive statements on your relationship.

Letters/emails sent back and forth

Text messages

Greeting cards, letters, postcards sent to each other or to both of you at same address by someone else.

Trip tickets/itenerary from trips you both went on

Financial support:

Do you have any paypal transactions where you sent money to them?

Write a letter of explanation (when in doubt always write a letter of explanation detailing the information they want or explaining why you don't have the exact information they are requesting). If it's specific to a question put RE: Section 7e. Proof of relationship to sponsor or whatever as the header on the additional sheet

Reactions: dkhtrieu1006