+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding Spouse to CSQ .. very confused .. please help

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
HI all

I applied CSQ as single applicant and I got my CSQ few days ago. But the issue that I am going to get married in few weeks and i will be informing Quebec immigration once i got married to avoid misrepresentation , but I have below queries

Option 1
1. Should i add my wife in my CSQ and apply for new CSQasking immigration to add my wife name in it , so that we can apply federal application process together . But I fear do the Quebec Immigration office will re access my CSQ application again as a married guy or they will just add my wife and issue me a new CSQ .
I dont wanna lose my CSQ after adding my wife name .

Option 2 :-
Should i add my wife in my CSQ as well as Fedearal application as a non accompanying member and go alone to canada as PR and sponser my wife once i reach canada.
I hope there are less chances of reaccessing my CSQ if i keep my wife as non accompany family member. But spouse sponsorship takes 19 months to process which is very long time to live seperatly .

Please advice which option should i use ?

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hello raman,

Congrats on the CSQ and your upcoming marriage :)

With regards to Option 1, it's not very clear whether they re-assess the couple or just add the spouse. I haven't heard of ANYONE who had his/her CSQ then got rejected after trying to add a spouse. Also there's a rule that says even IF they will reject you, they have to notify you first, allowing you to withdraw the spouse (flag her as non-accompanying) and keep your own CSQ, then sponsor her later (but again, i never saw anyone that this happened to). To be safe, when you notify MIDI about your spouse, include all her academic credentials with the application, so that she'd get a few points anyway.

Option 2, you are right. It will probably take ~2 years to complete the sponsorship processing once inside Canada.

My personal opinion is to go with option 1, this is what I did, and the total delay (for MIDI+CIC) was less than a year. The alternative is to have to be separated from your newly-married spouse for almost two years which is not advisable for any relationship.

Ultimately, the decision is yours of course.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: megoman

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
MidoRafa said:
Hello raman,

Congrats on the CSQ and your upcoming marriage :)

With regards to Option 1, it's not very clear whether they re-assess the couple or just add the spouse. I haven't heard of ANYONE who had his/her CSQ then got rejected after trying to add a spouse. Also there's a rule that says even IF they will reject you, they have to notify you first, allowing you to withdraw the spouse (flag her as non-accompanying) and keep your own CSQ, then sponsor her later (but again, i never saw anyone that this happened to). To be safe, when you notify MIDI about your spouse, include all her academic credentials with the application, so that she'd get a few points anyway.

Option 2, you are right. It will probably take ~2 years to complete the sponsorship processing once inside Canada.

My personal opinion is to go with option 1, this is what I did, and the total delay (for MIDI+CIC) was less than a year. The alternative is to have to be separated from your newly-married spouse for almost two years which is not advisable for any relationship.

Ultimately, the decision is yours of course.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.
thank you very much buddy for your kind response .. it was great help ..
Yes i will include all her education credential but she dont have work exp after her studies and also one more thing i wanna know .. am i required to submit IELTS or French DELF for my would be wife also ? Actully she only has her academic certificates thats it .. NO IELTS or NO french DELF

Do you know any resource from where i can get official version of MIDI of adding spouse to my application will re access my application or not ?

and also in how much time you got CSQ for your wife after adding her in your application .

Thanks again for a help .

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hello,

Certificates and language tests are not mandatory for the spouse. If you include them (following the proper guidelines regarding certified true copies, etc.) you'd get the extra points for them, otherwise not (assuming they really re-assess and compute the points). And IELTS for spouse does not add any points.

With regards to the official instructions to MIDI's agents about this case, it's here:
http://www.midi.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/gpi-npi/composantes_3/gpi-3-1.pdf
Section 4.5.2 on page 66

I my case, I submitted education docs without language proof or work experience, and got the new CSQ's in 5 months.

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
MidoRafa said:
Hello,

Certificates and language tests are not mandatory for the spouse. If you include them (following the proper guidelines regarding certified true copies, etc.) you'd get the extra points for them, otherwise not (assuming they really re-assess and compute the points). And IELTS for spouse does not add any points.

With regards to the official instructions to MIDI's agents about this case, it's here:
http://www.midi.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/gpi-npi/composantes_3/gpi-3-1.pdf
Section 4.5.2 on page 66

I my case, I submitted education docs without language proof or work experience, and got the new CSQ's in 5 months.
I checked the section 4.5.2 on page 66 and as per the document it is mentioned

"In the event that the revaluation of the request with spouse could lead to a refusal, the immigration officer proceeded to refusal"

So its all depend on the points calculation once i add my spouse .. Any how i have to inform MIDI about my marriage to avoid misrepresentation but whether to accompany my wife or not .. still thinking .. but confused . but i hope whtever decision I take it should be good for me .

thanks for the document it was great help

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
raman8310 said:
I checked the section 4.5.2 on page 66 and as per the document it is mentioned

"In the event that the revaluation of the request with spouse could lead to a refusal, the immigration officer proceeded to refusal"

So its all depend on the points calculation once i add my spouse .. Any how i have to inform MIDI about my marriage to avoid misrepresentation but whether to accompany my wife or not .. still thinking .. but confused . but i hope whtever decision I take it should be good for me .

thanks for the document it was great help
The sentence you're quoting is incomplete : "... the immigration officer will proceed to refusal, unless an exemption is considered (exceptionally), or the principal applicant decides to withdraw his/her spouse from the application and keep his/her original CSQ".

So even if they re-calculate the points and find you lacking, and notify you of their intention to refuse the couple's application, you should be given the choice to flag your wife as non-accompanying and keep your original CSQ.
And from what I've read and heard, no one has ever reported being rejected after trying to add a spouse. Could it be a coincidence and they all passed the new threshold? It's possible, but my money would be on that they generally tend to add the spouse without too much fuss, especially knowing that there exists the "non-accompanying" backdoor. Of course, this is my own deduction; you can give them a call (or 3) and ask them directly.

With regards to notifying MIDI and CIC about your upcoming marriage:
If you decide to include your future wife (or at least try to), you will need to complete this form (http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/dcs/A-0520-MF-dyn.pdf) for the case "Ajout de Conjoint", along with the required attachments (listed in the form), fees, and -they forget to mention this, but it's required- a new CSQ application form for you updated to show your current status as "married" and listing your spouse's info, photos, etc. No other supporting docs are required from you (ie, you don't have to submit any certificates, letters, tests that you previously submitted).
If they approve your request, they will ask you to send them your old CSQ, and they will send you a new set. You can then submit your visa app to CIC as a couple.

On the other hand, if you decide not to include your wife, you send in the above-referenced form with just "Autre modification a votre demande" checked, attaching a new updated application for you, listing your future spouse as non-accompanying, along with proof of marriage, etc.
You will apply for the visa as a Principal Applicant with non-accompanying spouse. In that case, since you won't be needing or expecting anything from MIDI, you can apply for the visa simultaneously. Your future wife will still need to undergo the medical test and submit police reports.

I hope this sheds some light on the procedure. Unfortunately, neither route is 100% worry-free, but Good luck making the decision and reaching the finish line!

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
MidoRafa said:
The sentence you're quoting is incomplete : "... the immigration officer will proceed to refusal, unless an exemption is considered (exceptionally), or the principal applicant decides to withdraw his/her spouse from the application and keep his/her original CSQ".

So even if they re-calculate the points and find you lacking, and notify you of their intention to refuse the couple's application, you should be given the choice to flag your wife as non-accompanying and keep your original CSQ.
And from what I've read and heard, no one has ever reported being rejected after trying to add a spouse. Could it be a coincidence and they all passed the new threshold? It's possible, but my money would be on that they generally tend to add the spouse without too much fuss, especially knowing that there exists the "non-accompanying" backdoor. Of course, this is my own deduction; you can give them a call (or 3) and ask them directly.

With regards to notifying MIDI and CIC about your upcoming marriage:
If you decide to include your future wife (or at least try to), you will need to complete this form (http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/publications/fr/dcs/A-0520-MF-dyn.pdf) for the case "Ajout de Conjoint", along with the required attachments (listed in the form), fees, and -they forget to mention this, but it's required- a new CSQ application form for you updated to show your current status as "married" and listing your spouse's info, photos, etc. No other supporting docs are required from you (ie, you don't have to submit any certificates, letters, tests that you previously submitted).
If they approve your request, they will ask you to send them your old CSQ, and they will send you a new set. You can then submit your visa app to CIC as a couple.

On the other hand, if you decide not to include your wife, you send in the above-referenced form with just "Autre modification a votre demande" checked, attaching a new updated application for you, listing your future spouse as non-accompanying, along with proof of marriage, etc.
You will apply for the visa as a Principal Applicant with non-accompanying spouse. In that case, since you won't be needing or expecting anything from MIDI, you can apply for the visa simultaneously. Your future wife will still need to undergo the medical test and submit police reports.

I hope this sheds some light on the procedure. Unfortunately, neither route is 100% worry-free, but Good luck making the decision and reaching the finish line!
Thank you Mido for your great help in my queries as it is really helping me to come to the conclusion and yeah i read the full quote now which is
"In the event that the revaluation of the request with spouse could lead to a refusal, the immigration officer proceeded to refusal, unless the
GUIDE IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES
Component 3: Recruitment and Selection
candidates for economic immigration
GPI 3-1
Chapter 1: The permanent skilled workers Page 68
Update November 2015
derogation is considered (exceptionally) or the applicant decides to withdraw his spouse of his request and retain its original CSQ."

So i think if i add my spouse as accompanying member and due that if my points are not getting completed then i hope MIDI will send me the intend to refuse letter asking me to remove my spouse from my application and to retain my original CSQ .

I hope its better to put my money to add my spouse as accompanying member so that we both can get CSQ and apply togather for Federal part .

Also one last query ... as my case is very complicated ..

Actually i applied my immigration application as seperated in dec 2013 and i given my ex wife name only in my application but my marital status was seperated and i kept her as non accompanying member and didnt added her any documents also . And also i dont know whether MIDI has issued two CSQ ( one for me and other for my Ex wife ... which i dont think as she is declared as non accompanying member ) also i have not seeen my CSQ yet coz its on the way right now .

so going ahead .. i got legally divorced last month but i have not informed MIDI yet as i am still waiting to get my official divorce papers which takes around 1 to 2 months but hopefully i will get my divorce papers before my second marriage.

So my query is ... should i inform MIDI the moment i get my divorce papers to change my marital status from separated to divorced .. and then again i have to inform midi about my second marriage and ask them to change my marital status now from divorce to married

So should i send separate application for change of marital status one by one or i can send both the application togather ( one is of divorce and other is off my second marrige )

I generally got some advice to send the divorce status to MIDI as i get and i should not wait till i get married and once i get married i will send again change of marital status and asking MIDI to change my status from Divorced to Married

I prefer to send separate application first is of divorce papaers which i may get in 2 or 3 weeks and then informing MIDI again of my second marriage .

I feel my case is very complicated but i hope i will take right decision

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
You're welcome - all this immigration stuff can get very taxing.

I don't have first-hand experience with your question, but my opinion would be to wait until you get married then send them everything. A cover letter would be a good way to explain things in chronological order (1. Got divorced from X on ../.., 2. Got re-married to Y on ../..), and to list the documents you're attaching. This should make things a little easier for you and them, reducing the potential for error or confusion.

The reason I believe this is a better route is twofold:
1. Changing your status from "separated from non-accompanying spouse" to "divorced" will not change anything material with your file. Since you put your ex as non-accompanying, didn't pay any fees for her, etc. then they will definitely not send you a CSQ for her, nor did she factor in their decision to grant you one. It's just to have a complete record about you (it's really the CIC folks who care a great deal about every detail of your life). Therefore, there is no need to rush and do it now, then a few weeks later send another update with the more material stuff. In my opinion, too much work for no reason. And from my communication with them and from reading other people's experiences, it seems that they prefer not to be bothered unless there's something material with someone's application, e.g., adding/removing accompanying dependents.

2. If you follow the 2-letter route, they SHOULD be received and opened in sequence, but you never know. There is a chance mail gets misplaced or maybe your first letter will be opened, deemed of low priority and put at the bottom of the pile, while the second one that will be sent two months later would get deemed a priority and ends up being processed first, obviously triggering a problem because they won't know you had gotten divorced. It may be a far-fetched scenario but you never know how these bureaucracies work.

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
MidoRafa said:
You're welcome - all this immigration stuff can get very taxing.

I don't have first-hand experience with your question, but my opinion would be to wait until you get married then send them everything. A cover letter would be a good way to explain things in chronological order (1. Got divorced from X on ../.., 2. Got re-married to Y on ../..), and to list the documents you're attaching. This should make things a little easier for you and them, reducing the potential for error or confusion.

The reason I believe this is a better route is twofold:
1. Changing your status from "separated from non-accompanying spouse" to "divorced" will not change anything material with your file. Since you put your ex as non-accompanying, didn't pay any fees for her, etc. then they will definitely not send you a CSQ for her, nor did she factor in their decision to grant you one. It's just to have a complete record about you (it's really the CIC folks who care a great deal about every detail of your life). Therefore, there is no need to rush and do it now, then a few weeks later send another update with the more material stuff. In my opinion, too much work for no reason. And from my communication with them and from reading other people's experiences, it seems that they prefer not to be bothered unless there's something material with someone's application, e.g., adding/removing accompanying dependents.

2. If you follow the 2-letter route, they SHOULD be received and opened in sequence, but you never know. There is a chance mail gets misplaced or maybe your first letter will be opened, deemed of low priority and put at the bottom of the pile, while the second one that will be sent two months later would get deemed a priority and ends up being processed first, obviously triggering a problem because they won't know you had gotten divorced. It may be a far-fetched scenario but you never know how these bureaucracies work.

thank you very much for the information. I am only worried they should not question me that Y i have delayed in telling MIDI about my divorce status and I am informing them late . but i think your advice is also rite as you never know if MIDI opens my marriage update first and later see my divorce letter which will create confusion

SO i hope there is no set timeline to inform MIDI about your marital change for e.g if i got divorced so do i have to inform MIDI about my change in marital status in 30 or 90 days ? or i can tell anytime before applying for Federal

your support is great help for me

thanks

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
raman8310 said:
thank you very much for the information. I am only worried they should not question me that Y i have delayed in telling MIDI about my divorce status and I am informing them late . but i think your advice is also rite as you never know if MIDI opens my marriage update first and later see my divorce letter which will create confusion

SO i hope there is no set timeline to inform MIDI about your marital change for e.g if i got divorced so do i have to inform MIDI about my change in marital status in 30 or 90 days ? or i can tell anytime before applying for Federal

your support is great help for me

thanks
In the CSQ form that you signed, there's a declaration that you will inform them of any change within 30 days.
I personally informed them of my marriage about 2.5 months later (once I had all the required attachments ready). They didn't object or come back to me with any questions. YMMV.
I guess you should follow the route that makes more sense to you and makes you feel more comfortable.

And again, you can just call them and ask.

raman8310

Dec 13, 2012
MidoRafa said:
In the CSQ form that you signed, there's a declaration that you will inform them of any change within 30 days.
I personally informed them of my marriage about 2.5 months later (once I had all the required attachments ready). They didn't object or come back to me with any questions. YMMV.
I guess you should follow the route that makes more sense to you and makes you feel more comfortable.

And again, you can just call them and ask.
Thanks for the reply ..

Actully i called them a month ago and asked them what to do as i got divorce so they told me to send them the updated marital status along with documented proof .. but unfortunately it takes around 2 to 3 months to get the documents proof for my divorce and it does not make any sense sending the change without any document proof . So i think i should send the change once i get the document proof .

DRWHO

May 24, 2017
Hello everyone!
I have a couple of quick queries. My husband recently got his CSQ right before our wedding. Now we're working on adding me to his CSQ application. The problem is there are some things that are unclear such as
a. What will be my Area of training seeing as im an MBBS degree holder from Pakistan? (need to know for points calculation)
b. In the documents to be attached, what do they mean by sworn copy of marriage certificate?
c. In making the true copies of my degrees would it be better to get them verified by HEC or to get them notarized?

Any help, sepecially by the Pakistani/Indian brethren will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!