+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding Spouse to an active application

MKH134

Nov 27, 2018
Hi Everyone,

My application (applied as a single) is being processed now, and it's currently at the background check stage. I'm planning to get married during the upcoming couple of months - if the APR is not received by that time. My spouse will be sitting for the IELTS soon and her ECA is being processed at the moment.

Have two questions considering my current situation:

- What are the available alternatives to include my spouse in my current application without needing to later sponsoring her? Family Status Change?!!
- Will her IELTS score and ECA results be considered for points? noting that they will both be dated after the ITA was received.

Thanks.

SoniaJav

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
Adding your wife to your application as soon as your are married is your only option...without having to sponsor later.
If you get a passport request for you before you are able to add her to your file...you will return the request and still add her. Cic will issue you a new letter once her documents are checked. If you do not add her and land in canada with the visa you got before getting married...you will never be able to sponsor your wife.... in short if you applied as single....got married and land on a visa issued by cic to you as a single person...you will loose the right to sponsor your spouse.

She will need to do ielts. However, your points will not be recalculated.

Reactions: MKH134

MKH134

Nov 27, 2018
Adding your wife to your application as soon as your are married is your only option...without having to sponsor later.
If you get a passport request for you before you are able to add her to your file...you will return the request and still add her. Cic will issue you a new letter once her documents are checked. If you do not add her and land in canada with the visa you got before getting married...you will never be able to sponsor your wife.... in short if you applied as single....got married and land on a visa issued by cic to you as a single person...you will loose the right to sponsor your spouse.

She will need to do ielts. However, your points will not be recalculated.
Thank you so much,

So I can understand from your reply that if the marriage date falls between getting APR and landing in Canada without notifying cic will compromise my wife’s chance to be sponsored later, won’t it?

Regarding the points, I read in a couple of other threads that marriage will increase/decrease points and if the new calculated score falls bellow the ITA cutoff, the whole application will be rejected, isn’t the case? And some ppl were saying that if her IELTS and ECA dates are after the ITA, they will not contribute to the new score positively!!

SoniaJav

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
1. Yes. If you get a passport request after marriage but do not notify cic of your marriage and land...you will nt be able to sponsor your wife. So, it is better to add her on to your file as soon as. Even if your wife will not accompany you straight away...add her to your file and do the PR together. She can land later too.

2. Adding your wife to your file will have no negative effects on your file. Yes it may take just a little bit longer because her documents need to be evaluated too. The only way your file will be effected negativley is..if your wife suffers from a serious illness that make her inadmissiable to canada. But lets assume thats not the case.

Thank you so much,

So I can understand from your reply that if the marriage date falls between getting APR and landing in Canada without notifying cic will compromise my wife’s chance to be sponsored later, won’t it?

Regarding the points, I read in a couple of other threads that marriage will increase/decrease points and if the new calculated score falls bellow the ITA cutoff, the whole application will be rejected, isn’t the case? And some ppl were saying that if her IELTS and ECA dates are after the ITA, they will not contribute to the new score positively!!

MKH134

Nov 27, 2018
1. Yes. If you get a passport request after marriage but do not notify cic of your marriage and land...you will nt be able to sponsor your wife. So, it is better to add her on to your file as soon as. Even if your wife will not accompany you straight away...add her to your file and do the PR together. She can land later too.

2. Adding your wife to your file will have no negative effects on your file. Yes it may take just a little bit longer because her documents need to be evaluated too. The only way your file will be effected negativley is..if your wife suffers from a serious illness that make her inadmissiable to canada. But lets assume thats not the case.
Thanks a million, it’s pretty clear now.

Ade3l

Feb 22, 2020

Hi SoniaJav,

I am in a similar situation and would love your help. I am FSW Outland applicant with AOR date of May 2019. I have not received a decision on my application yet however, the IRCC did ask me to submit a Schedule A Background Form in October 2020 and then Re-medicals in November 2020. Since I has spots on my lungs this time, I am waiting for the culture results of my TB test now before my application can be further processed.

I recently got married in December 2020. At the time when they requested the Schedule A form I was not planning to get married before receiving my COPR. But due to personal circumstances we had to marry in a hurry. Now my questions are:

1. How and when do I inform the IRCC about this?
2. Would it affect my application in any way?
3. What documents would i need to submit to add my spouse to my application? and most importantly
4. Would there be an updated POF requirement now that there would be two people on the application?

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Ferawan12

Star Member
Jan 6, 2020

Heyy.
Could you please assist me as well. Basically, I have simmilar issue with MKH134.

I applied in 2020 when i was single and had no update until August 2022. I got married in February 2022 and when they updated me in August 2022, I informed IRCC right away (First week of August 2022) and up until now, I have no update and IRCC asked me to submit my passport to the VAC. My questions would be should I submit my spouse's passport as well? Also I'd like to land together with her to Canada, would it be better to apply visitor visa or open work permit for her instead and process her sponsorship when we ware in Canada?

Kindly help for this matter, Thank you very much!