ABU DHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received : Oct,2011
CSQ Received : Feb, 2016
Total Time: 51 Months.

Got Married Feb, 2012.
Child Born: Jul, 2013.

In my CSQ on the first congratulatory sentence it is mentioned that the CSQ is applicable to me and Family members if any. The CSQ has a 36 month validity.
However, In another section, They ask if the situation has changed in my family such as marriage or birth
of child I should inform MIDI, and that they will have to reassess the CSQ. I had submitted Marriage Certificate and Birth Certificate of my child after preliminary verification and flagged my spouse and child as non-accompanying. But, Now I have realized that sponsoring in Family class takes 17 months which will be a long time to be away from family. Also, if you do not find a job then you can't sponsor in the first place. It seems it's a better option to get the PR for all family members together.

Now, I am confused whether I can process PR for family or just for myself, or do I have to get a CSQ for spouse and son for PR processing.

So here are the questions:
If I require a CSQ for spouse and child and a reassessment needs to be done, how long is it going to take to do a reassessment. I hope it's not going to be another 51 months :(?

How long does it take to complete PR formalities generally after receiving a CSQ and upon following up Police Clearances and Medical Clearances formalities immediately?

Should I add wife and child on CSQ or Move alone to Quebec and then sponsor them on Family class.
It looks like it is better to add them on CSQ and apply for PR together.

Also, I did not understand why in the first line they congratulated me on receiving the CSQ's (plural) for me and each member of my family. . My lawyer has asked me to get police clearances for spouse and medical clearances. It's all very confusing at the moment.

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hello owais.aziz,

Congratulations on the CSQ after such a long wait!

To answer some of your questions (and I apologize for the lengthy post):
- The congratulatory lines and the instructions to add/remove family members on the CSQ's cover page are just a template they include for everyone, so don't read too much into it.
- The important question is: how many CSQ sets did you receive? (one set is usually 2 CSQ docs for the same person). Did you receive only one set for you, or three sets for the whole familly? The number of sets should match up with the "Nombre de Personnes" in Box 10 of the CSQ. The answer to this will tell you whether they issued CSQ's for your wife and child or not.
- Obviously if you have received CSQ's for the whole family, then you'll just apply for PR for all of you together and be done with it. It takes approximately a year for visas/COPR to be issued.

- Assuming, however, that they didn't include them with you as 'accompanying', then as you pointed out, you have two options:
Option one:
Apply for your own PR now, citing your family as non-accompanying, go to Canada, then sponsor your family later (which will involve applying for a CSQ for them, then applying for their visas). I believe that for sponsoring spouse and children, you don't have to have a job, but you have to prove that you will be financially able to support them (a job is one way to prove it, but also enough savings, etc.), so it's a little bit easier. (Disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure on the rules about sponsoring family for QC, so you might want to double check the steps and requirements).
  • Pro: you personally get to travel to Canada faster.
  • The downside: Obviously, they get delayed and you have to be separated from each other: it seems to take around a year and a half to process the sponsorship these days + whatever time needed to get CSQ for them (which is admittedly faster once you're in Canada). Also, some of the work may have to be duplicated: you'll need to submit police records and medical tests for them now, and may have to do it again when they're applying for their own visas later, so more $$, effort and time will be wasted.

Option two:
Add them first with Quebec gov't (flag them as accompanying, pay all related fees, and submit all relevant forms and docs, including the CSQ you received) so they can issue you all new sets of CSQ's, then you can apply for PR together.
  • Time frame: There is not a lot of data but the in the few cases I have seen - including my own - it took MIDI about six months from receiving a complete "Modification" request to issue the new CSQ's. Once you have all CSQ's in hand, you can apply for the visa, which, as I mentioned earlier, takes approximately one year with a complete package. That being said, like everything in this process, your mileage and delays may vary.
  • Pros: you get to immigrate together as a family, be with them while they're going through the process and not have to worry about it while you're also trying to settle and find a job. Moreover, the time delay is not really any worse than the first option.
  • Potential risk: some people don't like to go this route because, officially at least, MIDI are supposed to reassess your points as a couple and issue you the new CSQ's only if you qualify. So some people feel they don't want to rock the boat and risk their hard-earned CSQ. However, when doing my research, I haven't seen a single case where they revoked someone's CSQ because they tried to add a spouse and didn't qualify (it doesn't make sense practically: first they like you then they don't?!). And in fact, if they do re-assess and decide you don't qualify as a couple, they have to notify you and give you the option to withdraw your spouse, so you'd be no worse off than how you started, and you can go back to Option 1.

Conclusion:
Obviously, the decision is yours based on your personal/family conditions and preferences. I chose to follow the first route (to avoid separation + no rush + I saw the risk was minimal) and it worked out fine in under six months. If you have any other questions or questions about the specifics of the process feel free to ask here or by PM.

One final word of general advice: unless you really, really trust your lawyer, I wouldn't leave him/her in the driver's seat unsupervised. Even if they're competent and honest, they may and do occasionally miss something or make a mistake. Find out exactly what they're planning to do and make sure you're ok with the plan and do your own research. Nobody will look out for you better than yourself.

raaz1289

Dec 23, 2014
Hii buddy very good explanation I have a same situation
But I applied for federal now alone by in accompanying spouse and child bec I only received csq and didn't added them for csq

Now I received UCI from federal too

But is it compulsory for getting csq for them later for applying under family sponsorship too

And one more question during my medical at present do I need to get my spouse and child medical too along with me or just mine is enough

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Thank you, raaz1289.

raaz1289 said:
during my medical at present do I need to get my spouse and child medical too along with me or just mine is enough
Yes. When CIC sends you the medical exam instructions, they will request medical checks from all of you, whether accompanying or not. You will also be asked to provide police records for your wife as well as yourself, if you haven't done so already.

But is it compulsory for getting csq for them later for applying under family sponsorship too
Yes. After you settle in Quebec, sponsoring your family will involve getting a "family-class" CSQ for them. It is faster than the skilled worker CSQ you got and does not involve calculating points. The requirements and the step-by-step procedure are here: http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/index.html

Best of luck!

Reactions: Vibebs

owais.aziz

Feb 13, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
ABU DHABI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wow Rafa,

Thanks for your detailed reply. It really has given me better perspective. I will come back to you on this in some time.

Regards,

Jul 2, 2016
Hello Everyone,

Could someone with prior experience help me with this:

I applied for immigration under Quebec Skilled Worker and I received my file number a month ago.
I got married 2 weeks ago and now I want to add my spouse name to the application process. I emailed CIC about the change in my marital status but I haven't received reply yet.

As I was reading the information in this discussion I realized that I need to get CSQ for her.

Now i will update my CSQ application for modification and getting CSQ for my spouse will definitely take some time .
What information can i provide it to CIC, when they will ask for all the documents for my spouse including her CSQ ?
I want to get my PR together with my wife.

Thank-You

Stylove

Dec 8, 2012
Visa Office......
ADVO
NOC Code......
U118
App. Filed.......
FOR CSQ MARCH 2013. FEDERAL JAN 4, 2016
Doc's Request.
RPRF AND PCC: DEC 19, 2016
AOR Received.
FEB 22, 2016
File Transfer...
ECAS: DM
Med's Request
NOV 29, 2016
Med's Done....
DEC 15, 2016
Interview........
Decision Made: 16-03-17
Passport Req..
15-03-17
VISA ISSUED...
02-03-2017
LANDED..........
April 2017
jitin_sharda@yahoo.com said:
Hello Everyone,

Could someone with prior experience help me with this:

I applied for immigration under Quebec Skilled Worker and I received my file number a month ago.
I got married 2 weeks ago and now I want to add my spouse name to the application process. I emailed CIC about the change in my marital status but I haven't received reply yet.

As I was reading the information in this discussion I realized that I need to get CSQ for her.

Now i will update my CSQ application for modification and getting CSQ for my spouse will definitely take some time .
What information can i provide it to CIC, when they will ask for all the documents for my spouse including her CSQ ?
I want to get my PR together with my wife.

Thank-You
You can add now. Check the AOR email you will get the instructions from there on how to add.

Hannaa

Feb 2, 2017
MidoRafa said:
Hello owais.aziz,

Congratulations on the CSQ after such a long wait!

To answer some of your questions (and I apologize for the lengthy post):
- The congratulatory lines and the instructions to add/remove family members on the CSQ's cover page are just a template they include for everyone, so don't read too much into it.
- The important question is: how many CSQ sets did you receive? (one set is usually 2 CSQ docs for the same person). Did you receive only one set for you, or three sets for the whole familly? The number of sets should match up with the "Nombre de Personnes" in Box 10 of the CSQ. The answer to this will tell you whether they issued CSQ's for your wife and child or not.
- Obviously if you have received CSQ's for the whole family, then you'll just apply for PR for all of you together and be done with it. It takes approximately a year for visas/COPR to be issued.

- Assuming, however, that they didn't include them with you as 'accompanying', then as you pointed out, you have two options:
Option one:
Apply for your own PR now, citing your family as non-accompanying, go to Canada, then sponsor your family later (which will involve applying for a CSQ for them, then applying for their visas). I believe that for sponsoring spouse and children, you don't have to have a job, but you have to prove that you will be financially able to support them (a job is one way to prove it, but also enough savings, etc.), so it's a little bit easier. (Disclaimer: I'm not 100% sure on the rules about sponsoring family for QC, so you might want to double check the steps and requirements).
  • Pro: you personally get to travel to Canada faster.
  • The downside: Obviously, they get delayed and you have to be separated from each other: it seems to take around a year and a half to process the sponsorship these days + whatever time needed to get CSQ for them (which is admittedly faster once you're in Canada). Also, some of the work may have to be duplicated: you'll need to submit police records and medical tests for them now, and may have to do it again when they're applying for their own visas later, so more $$, effort and time will be wasted.

Option two:
Add them first with Quebec gov't (flag them as accompanying, pay all related fees, and submit all relevant forms and docs, including the CSQ you received) so they can issue you all new sets of CSQ's, then you can apply for PR together.
  • Time frame: There is not a lot of data but the in the few cases I have seen - including my own - it took MIDI about six months from receiving a complete "Modification" request to issue the new CSQ's. Once you have all CSQ's in hand, you can apply for the visa, which, as I mentioned earlier, takes approximately one year with a complete package. That being said, like everything in this process, your mileage and delays may vary.
  • Pros: you get to immigrate together as a family, be with them while they're going through the process and not have to worry about it while you're also trying to settle and find a job. Moreover, the time delay is not really any worse than the first option.
  • Potential risk: some people don't like to go this route because, officially at least, MIDI are supposed to reassess your points as a couple and issue you the new CSQ's only if you qualify. So some people feel they don't want to rock the boat and risk their hard-earned CSQ. However, when doing my research, I haven't seen a single case where they revoked someone's CSQ because they tried to add a spouse and didn't qualify (it doesn't make sense practically: first they like you then they don't?!). And in fact, if they do re-assess and decide you don't qualify as a couple, they have to notify you and give you the option to withdraw your spouse, so you'd be no worse off than how you started, and you can go back to Option 1.

Conclusion:
Obviously, the decision is yours based on your personal/family conditions and preferences. I chose to follow the first route (to avoid separation + no rush + I saw the risk was minimal) and it worked out fine in under six months. If you have any other questions or questions about the specifics of the process feel free to ask here or by PM.

One final word of general advice: unless you really, really trust your lawyer, I wouldn't leave him/her in the driver's seat unsupervised. Even if they're competent and honest, they may and do occasionally miss something or make a mistake. Find out exactly what they're planning to do and make sure you're ok with the plan and do your own research. Nobody will look out for you better than yourself.
Hello,
I have a similar situation..
So, which option do you find reasonable, which option did you choose? You are writing that you chose first route in order to avoid separation, etc. Did you mean second option?
I'm really worried that our application cannot pass the re-assessment :( is the passing score 57 for couples with one child?

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
Hannaa said:
Hello,
I have a similar situation..
So, which option do you find reasonable, which option did you choose? You are writing that you chose first route in order to avoid separation, etc. Did you mean second option?
Hello,
Yes, I chose "option two". Sorry for the confusion.
However, this was 1.5 years ago, so I can't really advise you on what to do now since I haven't been following the updates. I hear that the sponsoring delays are shorter these days, so this may be a factor in your decision.

Hannaa said:
I'm really worried that our application cannot pass the re-assessment :( is the passing score 57 for couples with one child?
If you are referring to the 2015 scoring grid, then yes, I see that 57 is the passing score for a family.

Yanesha

Dec 15, 2017
hello,

I have a similar situation.

we've got our CSQ (husband and wife) after three years. Our child was born this year and we were asked to add her on our documents.
It's been already 6 months we have sent all the required documents and did our police clearence as well, and since then no reply from them. My question is how it normally takes to add a child to the process and after recieving the documents, how long will it take to get our visa ready??

Manish88

Jan 25, 2018
I have similar situation.

I came to Canada as student and so after completion of my study I applied for CSQ and received in 8 months in 2016 Sept. After that I applied for federal PR application and in Nov 2016. But got married in Jan 2017.

So after married I added my wife in my PR application as well as submitted my CSQ to Immigration of Quebec and reapplied, now I didn't received my CSQ since then. I just want to know if some one face this situation before.

My Fedreal file is completed and now they are just waiting for my wife's CSQ. But I am unaware about processing time of CSQ now, does any one know how long will it take.

Thanks

Yanesha

Dec 15, 2017
Hello! We finally got out baby’s CSQ in January 2018. After nearly 7 months I must say. Now I’m still wondering how long it will take now to get the medical request. I think it’s the immigration itself who is taking time. Because the CSQ was issued in December 2017. I hope you received your baby’s CSQ as well.

Yanesha

Dec 15, 2017
Hi! I got a cousin almost same situation. His wife was in Canada though! And he was in Mauritius. It took him almost a year to get everything done CSQ and Federal Visa. Now it’s been already 4 months since he is in Canada

vishalptl21

Nov 7, 2015

I came to Canada as student and so after completion of my study I applied for CSQ and received in 8 months in 2016 Sept. After that I applied for federal PR application and in Nov 2016. But got married in Jan 2017.

So after married I added my wife in my PR application as well as submitted my CSQ to Immigration of Quebec and reapplied, now I didn't received my CSQ since then. I just want to know if some one face this situation before.

My Fedreal file is completed and now they are just waiting for my wife's CSQ. But I am unaware about processing time of CSQ now, does any one know how long will it take.

Thanks
Hi Manish,

I am in same boat. May i know when did you apply for spouse's CSQ? To answer your question of processing times, i have called MIDI several times and got no answer on processing times.

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

Thanks
it might last 1-2 months because the principal for CSQ was approved
did you send your marriage certificate copy along with the fee?

Last edited: