+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding Newborn baby to existing Spousal Sponsorship application

vsol2021

Dec 15, 2021
Hi there,

We were just blessed with a baby girl yesterday. I'm a Permanent Resident and my wife is currently in India and her spousal sponsorship application is in progress. We had received the medical request but were unable to complete it due to pregnancy.

My question is: Which of these is a faster process:

1. Adding the newborn to my wife's existing sponsorship application. Both get PR visa.
2. Apply for newborn's visitor visa and not add her to my wife's sponsorship application. Wife gets PR visa but we apply for child's sponsorship from inside Canada.

Please reply with your insights.

Thanks,

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. Adding the newborn to my wife's existing sponsorship application. Both get PR visa.
2. Apply for newborn's visitor visa and not add her to my wife's sponsorship application. Wife gets PR visa but we apply for child's sponsorship from inside Canada.
Congratulations.

2 is not an option at all; you MUST add your daughter to existing app (must advise IRCC of change of family composition).

vsol2021

Dec 15, 2021
Thanks a lot. We're very excited :)

If we add her now, how will it affected the timeline of the application. Will it again take 12 months from now for full process? We just want a faster way to be together as family.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If we add her now, how will it affected the timeline of the application. Will it again take 12 months from now for full process? We just want a faster way to be together as family.
It might slow things down a bit but given that you've not yet done medicals, perhaps not so much. But sorry, can't given an estimate.

(Note, I'm assuming you can get required docs for child with no serious delays)

Reactions: YVR123

gold0001

Star Member
Apr 27, 2021
Toronto
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
14-10-2020
Hello @vsol2021
I'm in the same case as you. Blessed with a baby boy. I'm PR and my wife is in India. She just received the file number. What is the best option according to you?

vsol2021

Dec 15, 2021
Hello @vsol2021
I'm in the same case as you. Blessed with a baby boy. I'm PR and my wife is in India. She just received the file number. What is the best option according to you?
Hi there,

Congrats to you and your wife!

The only option is to add the child to your wife's PR file. You will have to update a few forms. The new process shouldn't take too long. The whole process was finished in like 4-5 months for me. The most important part was quickly getting the child's documents like birth certificate, Passport, etc.

Follow up with IRCC through Webform every week or two once all documents are submitted.

Reactions: gold0001

GloryAlemseged

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023
Hi there,

The only option is to add the child to your wife's PR file. You will have to update a few forms. The new process shouldn't take too long. The whole process was finished in like 4-5 months for me. The most important part was quickly getting the child's documents like birth certificate, Passport, etc.

Follow up with IRCC through Webform every week or two once all documents are submitted.
Hello

mine case may different . My wife gives birth in Canada. She is PR and I applied inland application. Does this have an impact? Already the newborn is Canadian

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello

mine case may different . My wife gives birth in Canada. She is PR and I applied inland application. Does this have an impact? Already the newborn is Canadian
Your situration is different. Your child is already a Canadian. You can just inform IRCC with webform (about your new child). But it will not have any major impact to your inland application. It's just to notify IRCC. (no need to "add child" to the sponsorship and no need for child to get medical exam...etc)

Reactions: armoured

gold0001

Star Member
Apr 27, 2021
Toronto
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
14-10-2020
Hi there,

Thanks for your kind response. I've sent them Birth certificate using web form. New passport is dispatched. I will forward it to them once received. You mentioned that I need to fill few forms. Which specifically are those?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks for your kind response. I've sent them Birth certificate using web form. New passport is dispatched. I will forward it to them once received. You mentioned that I need to fill few forms. Which specifically are those?
The forms that list family members (obviously). Most important is the IMM0008, that adds the child as an applicant. Do that ASAP. The next is the family information file, forget the name, you should add the child to that but it is less urgent. (Of course doing them both won't take long so probably submit together, but again - child MUST be added as a dependent of the principal applicant.