+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding last name after arival

Nakaa

Star Member
Jul 17, 2017
Hello!
In my passport my full name is written as such say ( first name: x s/o y ) and there is no last name. Instead of family name the passport issuing dept has mentioned my father name. It means i have my first name and father name so there is no last name.

I got my landing paper, visa and PR Card and expectig to get my health card soon. The issue is this, in all said documents they mentioned my given name instead of family name, and in given name they mentioned nothing it is blank as such (family name: my name showing in my passport
Given name: it is blank ).

In my immigration documents i mentioned my father name to work as family name so the case was accepted and i got visa and moved to canada. Now i want to add my last name and amend the PR card and immigration documents.
Pls guide what is the procedure.
Thank you

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
They will always go by whatever is on your passport if you wanted something different then you should have obtained new passports before applying. Now you can only ask for a name change in Canada like a regular name change.

but have you declared the full name including your family name in your immigration forms?

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
After you make the name change you will need to report it to IRCC so that they will issue you new PR cards with the new name.