+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding dependent child after PR issued

vbsvbs

Nov 6, 2017
Hello -

We have been issue the PR card and have done our soft landing from US. We are now expecting our 1st child after the PR card is issued. What is the process of adding the dependent child in our PR card?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
There's no process. Your PR application is already complete and closed.

If your child is born in Canada, he/she will be a citizen by birth.
If your child is born outside of Canada, you need to submit a new application to sponsor him/her to be a PR

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello -

We have been issue the PR card and have done our soft landing from US. We are now expecting our 1st child after the PR card is issued. What is the process of adding the dependent child in our PR card?
To add to the above, in order to sponsor your child, the sponsor must actually be living in Canada throughout the process.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
If the child is born in the US you will find it a little bit easier because the child can travel with you to Canada using their US passport. You will still need to sponsor them after at least one of the parents moves to Canada.

Jul 28, 2018
I am in the same boat, I am getting an offer from the Canadian firm and have valid PR and want to add my 1 year old. Do you know how long the process takes as I read the US citizen can be in Canada on US passport for 180 days. So just want to make sure the process of getting a PR for my son wraps up within 180 days as both me and my husband will not have a valid US visa for us to enter the US and then re-enter Canada after 180 days if needed. @lampbreaker @canuck_in_uk @ContactFront

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I am in the same boat, I am getting an offer from the Canadian firm and have valid PR and want to add my 1 year old. Do you know how long the process takes as I read the US citizen can be in Canada on US passport for 180 days. So just want to make sure the process of getting a PR for my son wraps up within 180 days as both me and my husband will not have a valid US visa for us to enter the US and then re-enter Canada after 180 days if needed. @lampbreaker @canuck_in_uk @ContactFront
You can apply for extension of stay beyond 180 days while in Canada, so even if PR sponsorship takes longer, that will be fine. Just note that the child will not have provincial health insurance until they become PR + waiting period if any.