+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding dependant to Ontario OHIP when they arrive from abroad

gosia247

Feb 17, 2023
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how my spouse and I should apply for OHIP - I will be starting a job soon and will apply for OHIP for the first time. My husband will join me hopefully over the next 1-2 months. Will I be able to add him as a dependant once he arrives? I can imagine that adding him at the time I'm applying won't be possible because he needs to be physically present to have his photo taken. Also listing him when he's not here might be against the terms. I'm just worried whether they will let me add him at a later date, if he wasn't present at the time I applied. What do you think?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out how my spouse and I should apply for OHIP - I will be starting a job soon and will apply for OHIP for the first time. My husband will join me hopefully over the next 1-2 months. Will I be able to add him as a dependant once he arrives? I can imagine that adding him at the time I'm applying won't be possible because he needs to be physically present to have his photo taken. Also listing him when he's not here might be against the terms. I'm just worried whether they will let me add him at a later date, if he wasn't present at the time I applied. What do you think?
He has to be in Ontario. What is his status when he enters? He needs to be eligible not just as your dependent.

gosia247

Feb 17, 2023
He has to be in Ontario. What is his status when he enters? He needs to be eligible not just as your dependent.
Thanks, he will be on an OWP but may not get employed immediately. In that case probably he will need to wait once he's employed?