Dont Like
Passport Req..
ASAP
VISA ISSUED...
ASAP
LANDED..........
ASAP
Hi All,

I have baby after approval of my wife's sponsorship application. Baby was born two week after we received her visa from CHC.
Is it possible and what is now required to add new born to her application?
Do I have to go through baby sponsorship process now?
I am not Canadian Citizen
With approval they have sent one letter say that please report any changes to family before departing to Canada.
Please advise and share your thoughts!

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
Congratulations!!

Are you a Canadian citizen or a PR? If the former, you can apply for a citizenship certificate for your son or daughter, as long as you meet the requirements.

That's what I did and no problem at all. We also got our son a passport for the eventual return to Canada.

FS

Saisn

Star Member
Oct 13, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2010
Doc's Request.
Not Yet
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
12-12-2010
Med's Done....
08-20-2010
Interview........
Dont Like
Passport Req..
ASAP
VISA ISSUED...
ASAP
LANDED..........
ASAP
Thanks for reply but I am not citizen, I am permanent resident.

lioha

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be in the same situation, my wife is pregnant and looking at the current processing times, my baby will be born before we get approved. I am a Canadian Citizen, but from what I have read in the Immigration Canada website that in order to get a Canadian Citizenship Certificate, it can take 8 months plus you add another 6 months because the baby is outside Canada. Fencesitter , how long did it take you?

Saisn, just let Immigration Canada know ASAP that you have a baby. not sure, but logically they will ask for the baby's birth certificate, passport and probably pictures and issue a landed visa for the baby also. Mind you, this is my logical thinking, not sure if this is exactly what happens. Please let me know on the developments in this thread is possible, I want to be prepared for the same.

scooper81

May 30, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2012
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
05-02-2012
I had my baby 2 weeks ago and since I was a CDN citizen I did not need to add the baby to my husbands application.
We also just got back from London where I applied for her CDN passport and citizenship. The passport will take 3 weeks but that is fast tracked since we are travelling home in 4 weeks but the citizenship can take up to a year to be processed even though she will have the passport etc.

lioha

Star Member
Jun 27, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scooper81

Just to clarify, you had your baby born in United Kingdom right? So if I understand well, you do not need to have a Canadian citizenship certificate in order to get the passport. You have applied for the passport and citizenship at the same time, but will get a passport since one of the parents is a Canadian citizen like I am. Am I right in the way I understand it?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Saisn said:
Hi All,

I have baby after approval of my wife's sponsorship application. Baby was born two week after we received her visa from CHC.
With approval they have sent one letter say that please report any changes to family before departing to Canada.
Advise CHC-Islamabad about the child immediately. The addition should not take long, it is a newborn, after all. You MUST declare the baby to them before your wife goes anywhere.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Saisn said:
Hi All,

Congratulations :)

You can - and should - add your baby to your wife's PR application. Send your visa office a case specific enquiry (here's the linksharing the news of the birth of your baby.

They will Likely ask you for updated forms, biographical info (birth certificate, passport), medical, and fee payment so you can start collecting all these documents now. They will also ask for your wife's passport and CoPR to cancel her visa and later issue an updated one that includes your baby as her dependent when they issue your baby's visa too.

Processing your baby's application should be much faster than your wife's application and must be done before she can land since her family composition changed.

Good luck! And, congratulations again :)

Reactions: cancanhere

mirjahan

Jul 5, 2011
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2011
Med's Done....
18-04-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-02-2012
VISA ISSUED...
28-02-2012
LANDED..........
03-04-2012
Fencesitter said:
Congratulations!!

Are you a Canadian citizen or a PR? If the former, you can apply for a citizenship certificate for your son or daughter, as long as you meet the requirements.

That's what I did and no problem at all. We also got our son a passport for the eventual return to Canada.

FS
That option does not exis since 2009. For your child you have to sponsor along with mother. As soon as your child arrive in Canada and you can apply for citizenship certificate immediately.
@CharlieD10 should be inform Visa Office before granted Visa.

""Can I obtain Canadian citizenship for my children born outside Canada after April 17, 2009, if they are not automatically Canadian citizens at birth? How?
Can I obtain Canadian citizenship for my children born outside Canada after April 17, 2009, if they are not automatically Canadian citizens at birth? How?
You may sponsor your children to immigrate to Canada as permanent residents, if you and your children meet the normal requirements for sponsorship. After they become permanent residents, you can immediately apply for a grant of citizenship on your children’s behalf if they are under 18. (These children are not subject to the regular three-year residency requirement.) Children who follow this route must meet the usual requirements for immigration and citizenship.

If you live outside Canada and wish to sponsor your child, in most cases you must provide evidence that you will live in Canada once your child becomes a permanent resident. This could, for example, include a letter from an employer or proof of having rented or bought a home in Canada.""

""http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citizenship/index.asp#rules""

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
lioha said:
Just to clarify, you had your baby born in United Kingdom right? So if I understand well, you do not need to have a Canadian citizenship certificate in order to get the passport. You have applied for the passport and citizenship at the same time, but will get a passport since one of the parents is a Canadian citizen like I am. Am I right in the way I understand it?
Yes. If you have imminent travel back to Canada, as a Canadian born in Canada, you can get a temporary passport for your child (under 2 years old) to enable travel back to Canada while you wait for the citizenship certificate.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
mirjahan said:
That option does not exis since 2009. For your child you have to sponsor along with mother. As soon as your child arrive in Canada and you can apply for citizenship certificate immediately.
@ CharlieD10 should be inform Visa Office before granted Visa.
1. Fencesitter is a Canadian by birth, he can pass his citizenship to his child, he does not need to sponsor it.

2. I doubt the OP could inform the visa office of more than the fact that his wife was pregnant, given he says the child was born 2 weeks after she received her visa. Now that the child is born, they need to advise the visa office immediately that a live birth has occurred and their family composition has changed.

scooper81

May 30, 2012
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2012
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
05-02-2012
I emailed the VO and they told me since the baby is a CDN citizen (through me) even though they are born in the UK they did not need to go on the application. We travel in 4 weeks so applied for passport and citizenship at the same time.

Fencesitter

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 13, 2012
AOR Received.
AOR2 July 25, 2012
File Transfer...
July 13, 2012
Med's Done....
Mar 1, 2012
Interview........
WAIVED!
Passport Req..
Aug 28, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
Sept 24, 2012
LANDED..........
Jan 30, 2013
mirjahan said:
Actually, that option still exists...how else was I able to get my son's citizenship certificate back in early 2012? There is a new restriction, but that is not applicable if the child born to a Canadian citizen is his/her first child...or something like that...

FS

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fencesitter said:
Actually, that option still exists...how else was I able to get my son's citizenship certificate back in early 2012? There is a new restriction, but that is not applicable if the child born to a Canadian citizen is his/her first child...or something like that...

FS
It's all about what 'automatically Canadian citizen at birth' means in the paragraph mirjahan quoted. In your case, for example, your son (let's call him FSjr) WAS automatically a Canadian citizen at birth due to the fact that his Father (FS) was born on Canadian soil (and when his Father - FS -was born in Canada, neither of FSjr.'s paternal grandparents was a foreign diplomat in Canada).

If your circumstances were different (as mirjahan's may be from context) and you also had been born abroad, for example, then you wouldn't have been able to get the citizenship certificate.

The intricacies are why CIC has a tool to determine if you are a Canadian citizen under the new law (took effect on April 17, 2009) based on very specific questions.

Amy612

Aug 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
N/A
Saisn said:
Hi All,

Please contact your visa office as early as possible about the change of family composition. Your wife should not use her visa and land in Canada before informing the child's birth. Visa office will guide you about the rest of the procedure. If you don't declare your child now you can not sponsor your baby later.