+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding a SIN on the PRTD application

sandeep859

Aug 24, 2017
I got a PR approval early this year and I along with my family had a short landing in Canada on May-04-2018. We returned to US next day without applying for the SIN number.

Since i dont have PR card available with me as of now, I was filling PRTD(Permanent resident travel document) application so that i have valid travel document while re-entering Canada.

In the application, there is 18th Clause (Statement of Consent) - What should I mark in this section since I dont have SIN number available with me?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well as I am not sure but given you are not yet even a tax resident then giving consent to access any CRA records is not relevant and fact you only landed in May would make this obvious anyway.

Updated : If you plan to travel back via the US Canada land border you would only need your COPR as PRTD would only be required to fly back.

Last edited:

Cubicrootofthee

Star Member
Jan 10, 2018
USA
NOC Code......
VISA ISSUED...
13-08-2018
I got a PR approval early this year and I along with my family had a short landing in Canada on May-04-2018. We returned to US next day without applying for the SIN number.

Since i dont have PR card available with me as of now, I was filling PRTD(Permanent resident travel document) application so that i have valid travel document while re-entering Canada.

In the application, there is 18th Clause (Statement of Consent) - What should I mark in this section since I dont have SIN number available with me?
I think you may find this elsewhere on the forums but you don't need PRTD of you travel by land (could be if you fly as well). You just need your COPR again .

free_asim

Feb 4, 2019
You don't have to mention SIN number if you became PR less than 1090 days ago. I also did the same and got my PRTD in USA.

I also have a query please let me know if someone knows. I became PR on Sep 2016. I did not apply for PR card or SIN at that time as I did my landing on weekend and then returned to US.
In order to apply for SIN one needs either PR card or Confirmation of PR that is less than a yer old. Both will not apply now in my case :(.
Does anyone know if PRTD can be used instead of PR card to apply for SIN number.

tduncombe

Feb 16, 2019
You don't have to mention SIN number if you became PR less than 1090 days ago. I also did the same and got my PRTD in USA.

I also have a query please let me know if someone knows. I became PR on Sep 2016. I did not apply for PR card or SIN at that time as I did my landing on weekend and then returned to US.
In order to apply for SIN one needs either PR card or Confirmation of PR that is less than a yer old. Both will not apply now in my case :(.
Does anyone know if PRTD can be used instead of PR card to apply for SIN number.
d

Hi, I would think the PRTD can be used to apply for SIN, since in order to get a PRTD you have to have been granted a PR. Maybe submit both the expired COPR and the PRTD. I'm kind of in your situation in that I landed over the weekend (in December), I did not apply for a SIN so wanted to know what 2 pieces of evidence did you show to prove that you meet the residency obligation for the PRTD.

free_asim

Feb 4, 2019
d

Hi, I would think the PRTD can be used to apply for SIN, since in order to get a PRTD you have to have been granted a PR. Maybe submit both the expired COPR and the PRTD. I'm kind of in your situation in that I landed over the weekend (in December), I did not apply for a SIN so wanted to know what 2 pieces of evidence did you show to prove that you meet the residency obligation for the PRTD.
I only submitted copy of CoPR to get PRTD. If you did landing less than 3 years ago you don't have to prove residency obligation as you still have more than 2 years left to meet residency obligation.

For the other question I posted. I was able to get SIN with more than a year old CoPR. They did not ask for PRTD.

tduncombe

Feb 16, 2019
I only submitted copy of CoPR to get PRTD. If you did landing less than 3 years ago you don't have to prove residency obligation as you still have more than 2 years left to meet residency obligation.

For the other question, I posted. I was able to get SIN with more than a year old CoPR. They did not ask for PRTD.
Hi,

Just to let you know, my application was received last week Thursday (Feb 21) for my PRTD at the processing office and my PRTD was processed and shipped via FedEx on Tuesday (Feb 26) of this week. I collected my passport with my PRTD today February 28th from the FedEx office. I was pleased with the speed in which my application was handled. Thank God.

gaara690

Jan 23, 2018
Hi,

Just to let you know, my application was received last week Thursday (Feb 21) for my PRTD at the processing office and my PRTD was processed and shipped via FedEx on Tuesday (Feb 26) of this week. I collected my passport with my PRTD today February 28th from the FedEx office. I was pleased with the speed in which my application was handled. Thank God.
Hi,

Did you get a multiple entry PRTD? do we have to mention anything specifically to get the multiple entry prtd? I recently did a softlanding for a few days and need to apply for prtd so I don't have to drive through land border.

Thanks.

tduncombe

Feb 16, 2019
Hi,

Did you get a multiple entry PRTD? do we have to mention anything specifically to get the multiple entry prtd? I recently did a softlanding for a few days and need to apply for prtd so I don't have to drive through land border.

Thanks.
Hi,

Yes, they did grant multiple entry. I did not request it nor mention anything specifically, maybe it's granted at the discretion of the center. They did also provide a letter urging me to apply for my PR card as soon as I travel back to Canada though. I now possess my PR card since the application was already in progress.

gaara690

Jan 23, 2018
Hi,

Yes, they did grant multiple entry. I did not request it nor mention anything specifically, maybe it's granted at the discretion of the center. They did also provide a letter urging me to apply for my PR card as soon as I travel back to Canada though. I now possess my PR card since the application was already in progress.
Thats good to know. So you didn't mention anywhere that you already applied for PR card when you submitted your application for PRTD? Also, did you mention the SIN number in the application?

tduncombe

Feb 16, 2019
I indicated "Yes" to give authorization to check records, but also indicated in the section on the form that asked for my SIN number that I did not apply for a SIN as yet. I also included a letter (not sure whether it was needed but did so anyway) indicating that I landed over the weekend and had to return for work purposes and that I had since resigned from my position and was ready to return to Canada. In the letter, I did indicate that I was waiting for my PR card but would like to travel to Canada by a specific date. I also included copies of my boarding passes (outbound and inbound) and copies of passport stamps from Candian border control and from my country as well (not sure if these were needed by sent copies anyway).